2012 wrx hatch vs 350 z
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on 2012 wrx hatch vs 350 z within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I recently purchased a new 2012 wrx wagon last week. Today I drove it to work for the first time ...

  1. #1
    Registered User JEV361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    25

    2012 wrx hatch vs 350 z

    I recently purchased a new 2012 wrx wagon last week. Today I drove it to work for the first time and a employee who has a 350z challenge me to a race at our local race track. I probably won't race him anytime soon , but I was curious How a stock wrx would do against a 350z? Anyone race one before? Sorry if this topic is posted in the wrong place.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User starkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    522
    You'll take it.

  4. #3
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    yeah if he's not force inducted you'll walk all over him. My girl used to own a Z and now runs a 07 WRX. She tells me that even when her car was on the factory TD04 turbo (recently swapped to VF30) it would have walked all over her Z that was cam'd and tuned. Afterturbo swap it will downright rape one. The VF30 and VF52 in your car flow similar rates .. so I'm sure you can do the math on that.

    word of advice though, break your car in fully first before hammering it at the drag strip.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  5. #4
    Registered User JEV361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    25
    I'll be sure to break the car in before taking it to the strip. I also need to get used to the shifting. Thanks for you alls input. I just didn't want to lose and let the Z be victorious over the Subaru and make us look bad.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    39
    i owned an 05 350Z, i'd put my money on your '12 wrx. The Z does feel like it has more torque though, but that's because it's rwd. the 06-08 350z's i believe have duel intakes and might be a lil faster than the 05's Z's. you can tell right away by that little bump on the hood, the 06-08's have em.

  7. #6
    Registered User JEV361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    25
    As much as I would like to race this wknd. I'm going to wait until I get my down pipe, Cobb Sri, and Cobb stage 2 tune. Hopefully I can get it in the next month or two.

  8. #7
    Registered User csevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by seeuarndjimmy View Post
    i owned an 05 350Z, i'd put my money on your '12 wrx. The Z does feel like it has more torque though, but that's because it's rwd. the 06-08 350z's i believe have duel intakes and might be a lil faster than the 05's Z's. you can tell right away by that little bump on the hood, the 06-08's have em.
    Only the 07+ have the little bump...but i agree with most of what was said here. Equal drivers...I think the WRX wins. Bottom line will probably be who ever launches their car better...and yours is a little easier to launch. Word of warning though...when you do it, your car is gonna smell funny.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dobbs Ferry, NY
    Posts
    226
    Was going to say my bro has a 370 and he just installed dual intakes and thats a 2010 model.. I think they kept the dual air filters on the 06+ I Guess
    Subaru WRX 2011 Spark Silver Metallic

  10. #9
    Registered User rudeboi0427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Killeen/Ft. Hood, Texas
    Posts
    67
    No its the 07+ before the 370. The engine is VQ35HR with the dual intakes and VQ35DE with the single. So HR (dual): '07-'09 and DE (single): '06 and below. The new 370z's have the new VQ37VHR. Sorry I used to be a Nissan guy lol

  11. #10
    Registered User Eric05mx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by JEV361 View Post
    As much as I would like to race this wknd. I'm going to wait until I get my down pipe, Cobb Sri, and Cobb stage 2 tune. Hopefully I can get it in the next month or two.
    With a downpipe and tune you will beat a 370z (stock) if your a good driver and launch the car.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

  12. #11
    Registered User UEDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by csevin View Post
    Only the 07+ have the little bump...but i agree with most of what was said here. Equal drivers...I think the WRX wins. Bottom line will probably be who ever launches their car better...and yours is a little easier to launch. Word of warning though...when you do it, your car is gonna smell funny.
    Uhhhhhh no. A correctly launched wrx will not burn up the clutch.


    Sent from a phone

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    I never bother to post anything but I happen to have some insight on this situation so here goes... I traded in a fully modded (right down to the Tommy Kaira shift knob) 2005 350z for a 2012 WRB WRX hatch on black Friday of last year. rudeboi0427 is 100% correct about what years have single or dual intakes. The VQ35DE motor stock makes ~ 285 crank HP, the VQ35HR motor stock makes ~ 305 crank HP, and just for comparisons sake the 370z is somewhere around 335. Assuming both cars are completely stock the WRX will win in a straight line over a short distance. Over a longer distance the Z will pull ahead. Similar to an STI the 6 speed Z tranny makes more of its power in 3rd-4th gear as opposed to the WRX making power in 2nd-3rd gear (I'm talking about usable racing power in a straight line.) Now a twisting turning road or closed track is a whole different ball game, the average driver hears "AWD" and thinks that means super easy cornering at higher speeds, and it does... for average drivers. The 350z is one of the best drifting cars money can buy, add that to the fact that the Z is a torque monster and put someone behind the wheel that knows how to slide out the rear end and its all over for the WRX. Stock for stock these cars are very comparable. The Z makes more power on paper but is surprisingly heavy for a 2 seater and seems to lose a greater % of HP by the time it hits the wheels. The WRX makes less power on paper but manages to transfer that power more efficiently to the wheels. The most important difference between these cars is AWD vs. RWD. The WRX is easier to drive plain and simple. If you could clone yourself and race that clone, your going to win in the WRX every time. Just the same as most of these "who would win" threads, it's going to come down to the lowest common denominator... the driver. These cars are too close to compare in a hypothetical race, and its not very fair or practical to make comparisons based on anything other than stock vs. stock. You could buy a used Z and drop in a twin turbo kit that would spank a Lambo for around the same price as a new WRX. The driver with the most experience in their specific vehicle always wins.

  14. #13
    Registered User Eric05mx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    903
    I really like the Z cars but after recently driving a 370z I thought it was everything but a torque monster. I guess I'm just used to my car.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

  15. #14
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,540
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JEV361 View Post
    I recently purchased a new 2012 wrx wagon last week. Today I drove it to work for the first time and a employee who has a 350z challenge me to a race at our local race track. I probably won't race him anytime soon , but I was curious How a stock wrx would do against a 350z? Anyone race one before? Sorry if this topic is posted in the wrong place.
    350s are slow. Lindsay's LGT ran with them pretty closely in stock form.

    Quote Originally Posted by adam3737 View Post
    I never bother to post anything but I happen to have some insight on this situation so here goes... I traded in a fully modded (right down to the Tommy Kaira shift knob) 2005 350z for a 2012 WRB WRX hatch on black Friday of last year. rudeboi0427 is 100% correct about what years have single or dual intakes. The VQ35DE motor stock makes ~ 285 crank HP, the VQ35HR motor stock makes ~ 305 crank HP, and just for comparisons sake the 370z is somewhere around 335. Assuming both cars are completely stock the WRX will win in a straight line over a short distance. Over a longer distance the Z will pull ahead. Similar to an STI the 6 speed Z tranny makes more of its power in 3rd-4th gear as opposed to the WRX making power in 2nd-3rd gear (I'm talking about usable racing power in a straight line.) Now a twisting turning road or closed track is a whole different ball game, the average driver hears "AWD" and thinks that means super easy cornering at higher speeds, and it does... for average drivers. The 350z is one of the best drifting cars money can buy, add that to the fact that the Z is a torque monster and put someone behind the wheel that knows how to slide out the rear end and its all over for the WRX. Stock for stock these cars are very comparable. The Z makes more power on paper but is surprisingly heavy for a 2 seater and seems to lose a greater % of HP by the time it hits the wheels. The WRX makes less power on paper but manages to transfer that power more efficiently to the wheels. The most important difference between these cars is AWD vs. RWD. The WRX is easier to drive plain and simple. If you could clone yourself and race that clone, your going to win in the WRX every time. Just the same as most of these "who would win" threads, it's going to come down to the lowest common denominator... the driver. These cars are too close to compare in a hypothetical race, and its not very fair or practical to make comparisons based on anything other than stock vs. stock. You could buy a used Z and drop in a twin turbo kit that would spank a Lambo for around the same price as a new WRX. The driver with the most experience in their specific vehicle always wins.
    1. What does "fully modded" include?
    2. Transmissions don't make power, the motor does. It's all about ratios and shifting points. My car has plenty of useable power throughout.
    3. You don't lose HP to the wheels because of weight. It's power to weight ratio and the Z is very lacking in that department.
    4. AWD is very inefficient in transferring power to the wheels hence why it's "slower" at higher speeds.
    5. AWD is harder to launch correctly to get the best out of it. Just because you don't have wheel spin doesn't mean you have a good launch. And AWD doesn't mean easier to drive.
    6. It would spank the Lambo in what? Maybe 1/4 mile, but in just about anything else the Lambo will come out on top.

    You've provided a lot of misinformation in that post simply for the fact that 90% of it is subjective.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •