Stage 1 peeps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

This is a discussion on Stage 1 peeps within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey people with Stage 1. Are you happy with it? Did you simply use the Cobb AP or get a ...

  1. #1
    Registered User hisdigness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So Cal (Torrance)
    Posts
    295

    Stage 1 peeps

    Hey people with Stage 1. Are you happy with it? Did you simply use the Cobb AP or get a protune stage 1? If protune did you use your own Tactrix cable?

    Just trying to get a feel for people's opinions with staying only at stage 1.

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User DiRty Impreza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    204
    Stage 1 COBB AP, Slight notice. Anything is better then the stock map.

    Stage 2 COBB AP, soon to come. Stage 1 not enough to please me.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

    06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

  4. #3
    Registered User rudeboi0427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Killeen/Ft. Hood, Texas
    Posts
    67
    I was thinking about doing the ap, but Im also Thinking about getting the cable and doing stage 1 thru torqued performance. Can that be done? Is it smart?

  5. #4
    FMS
    FMS is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    764
    Hi guys,

    The AP stage 1 tunes are extremely nice for beginners. I ran stage 1 for a couple months and liked the pep that it gave the car but if your looking for gobs more power going stage 2 is where it is at.

    The AP allows you to:

    • Change maps on the fly
    • Healthier maps than what Subaru puts on the car
    • Allows for bigger upgrades by offering maps for downpipes with high flow catalytic converters and AEM or Cobb intakes.
    • Allows Pro-tuners such at torqued performance to make special maps they have tailored, made downloadable, and applicable to your car. Or you can get a dyno tune with the accessport and have a pro-tuner using Cobb software make a map just for your car and your mods. Note that a pro tune is always better than OTS maps however the Cobb Maps are very safe.


    We are currently running a HUGE sale on these AccessPorts new, and overnighted to your door. The price is too low for me to show but PM me and I can let you know the price or follow this link and instructions in the following thread.

    Sale of the week & Cobb Accessport blow out!

    PM me with any questions
    Last edited by FMS; 08-06-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

    AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

    Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

  6. #5
    Registered User hisdigness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So Cal (Torrance)
    Posts
    295
    Thanks for the info!

  7. #6
    Cheeky Bastage! spirited09wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dirty Jerz
    Posts
    2,718
    I tuned stage 1 with torqued performance using the tactrix cable. It is very easy, even a noob (me) can do it. There is a very small learning curve associated with the programs you need to do it.

    I am very much enjoying my TP stage 1, its a nice bump over stock and still leaves me a place to go in the future (not saying stage 2 is all you can do, but its nice to go in steps).

    Between the 3 methods (AP, tactrix, and protune) I personally think that the tactrix is the best for a stage 1. The protune is way too much money for a stage 1. The AP is about the same price, but you can use the AP to do different things and I've heard it is a very handy tool. The issue is that the AP tune is a OTS (off the shelf or "cookie cutter" tune. Meaning you are getting the exact same tune for your car as is everyone else, except your cars are not the same. The TP tune is nice because Eric (guy at TP) will work with you and provide a couple revisions to his tune to work best with your car.

    IMO it splits the difference between the 2, although it leans heavily towards OTS, and it is about half the price.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

  8. #7
    Registered User scarmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sharpsville, PA
    Posts
    810
    If you have the money. Stage 2. If you don't or just want to see the progress start with stage 1 and then slowly work your way up.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

  9. #8
    Registered User teddy37's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Garrett County Maryland
    Posts
    147
    Stage 1 was definitely better than stock tune no doubt about it, good place to start with especially if you cant afford a downpipe for stage 2 yet. Im currently running torqued performances stage 2 map and its definitely more torque than stage 1. So stage 2 if you can afford it id say but thats just me. Also I used an accessport.
    2011 Wrx DGM TP Stage 3
    Stink-eye mob #3737

  10. #9
    Registered User hisdigness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So Cal (Torrance)
    Posts
    295
    Thank you for all the info man. Its a great help!

    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    I tuned stage 1 with torqued performance using the tactrix cable. It is very easy, even a noob (me) can do it. There is a very small learning curve associated with the programs you need to do it.

    I am very much enjoying my TP stage 1, its a nice bump over stock and still leaves me a place to go in the future (not saying stage 2 is all you can do, but its nice to go in steps).

    Between the 3 methods (AP, tactrix, and protune) I personally think that the tactrix is the best for a stage 1. The protune is way too much money for a stage 1. The AP is about the same price, but you can use the AP to do different things and I've heard it is a very handy tool. The issue is that the AP tune is a OTS (off the shelf or "cookie cutter" tune. Meaning you are getting the exact same tune for your car as is everyone else, except your cars are not the same. The TP tune is nice because Eric (guy at TP) will work with you and provide a couple revisions to his tune to work best with your car.

    IMO it splits the difference between the 2, although it leans heavily towards OTS, and it is about half the price.

  11. #10
    Registered User hisdigness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So Cal (Torrance)
    Posts
    295
    Thank guys. With Stage 2. Which down pipe would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by teddy37 View Post
    Stage 1 was definitely better than stock tune no doubt about it, good place to start with especially if you cant afford a downpipe for stage 2 yet. Im currently running torqued performances stage 2 map and its definitely more torque than stage 1. So stage 2 if you can afford it id say but thats just me. Also I used an accessport.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    If you have the money. Stage 2. If you don't or just want to see the progress start with stage 1 and then slowly work your way up.

  12. #11
    FMS
    FMS is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    764
    Invidia, Cobb, Perrin are all really great downpipes.

    Sound will be all relatively the same except for the fact that Catless downpipes will be much louder than catted.

    What you are looking for is O2 Bungs already installed. (some cheaper Downpipes require you install the O2 bung) good bends and good reviews on fitment.

    I run Invidia myself and couldn't be happier. Quality parts, great look, great sound.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

    AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

    Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

  13. #12
    Registered User hisdigness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So Cal (Torrance)
    Posts
    295
    Cool. So Invidia Catted? That has the O2 bung I assume. Do you have a model number for that?


    Quote Originally Posted by FMS View Post
    Invidia, Cobb, Perrin are all really great downpipes.

    Sound will be all relatively the same except for the fact that Catless downpipes will be much louder than catted.

    What you are looking for is O2 Bungs already installed. (some cheaper Downpipes require you install the O2 bung) good bends and good reviews on fitment.

    I run Invidia myself and couldn't be happier. Quality parts, great look, great sound.

  14. #13
    Registered User hisdigness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So Cal (Torrance)
    Posts
    295
    I have one big issue. I live in California so all the map notes and tune notes that I have been reading show significant differences between 91 and 93 octane. The difference between stage 1 and stage 2 for CA on AC191 map is not that huge. Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps that is only on OTS maps.

    Sorry for so many questions. This is very new to me. With my first WRX I started out with Sway bars and endlinks and suspension type mods. This time around I want to play with the power and smooth out my torque curve a bit.

  15. #14
    FMS
    FMS is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    Cool. So Invidia Catted? That has the O2 bung I assume. Do you have a model number for that?
    Downpipes - Flatline Motorsports

    Do you not have access to 93 in Cali?

    and no worries on questions.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

    AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

    Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

  16. #15
    Registered User hisdigness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So Cal (Torrance)
    Posts
    295
    Nope. Socal 91 only. Weak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •