first mod? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on first mod? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 It's your right foot that will control your fuel economy Indeed, but we know that not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    It's your right foot that will control your fuel economy
    Indeed, but we know that not the point in a Rex
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    Indeed, but we know that not the point in a Rex
    Never before has more truf ever been spoken
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Well, I know my first mod is going to be an AP stage 1 tune. I've read in many places that it not only smooths out the power band, it also give you slightly better fuel economy. I drive at least 70 miles a day and while no one buys a WRX for fuel efficiency, a few extra bucks in my pocket every week is a nice side effect from buying something that will improve my power band. Plus, I'll also be able to use it when I go stage 2

It all depends what you want to do with you with your ride though. Tell us how you plan to use it.

When I went stage 1, I really didn't see any real change in my fuel economy (M.P.G. Wise) when traveling on the highway. However, when I went stage 2 - my fuel economy went up about 1 M.P.G. A least that was my experience ...
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Stage 1 TP tune improved my fuel economy noticeably. In the 750 miles since reflash I've averaged 26.5 MPG (computer says 27), versus about 24 before hand.

Last week on a trip to and from Vail, I managed over 28MPG with a cruising speed of 70MPH. Not sure what the trip computer said for that short trip, didn't pay attention, but it's typically a bit higher than reality.

I thought TP maps were more aggressive than Cobb maps. (I'm not sure about that actually. Can anyone confirm?) Don't get me wrong, I want to have fun in my car. But at the same time, I don't want to run a tune that is so aggressive it causes my car not to last as long as it could.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Yes in general the TP maps are more aggressive than the Cobb maps. However, I seriously doubt 99.99% of people would be able to tell the difference in their butt dyno if they drove one versus the other back to back. Overall the Cobb maps are less aggressive and safer because they're tuning for a customer base probably 1,000 times bigger than TP if not 10,000 times the size!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I thought TP maps were more aggressive than Cobb maps. (I'm not sure about that actually. Can anyone confirm?) Don't get me wrong, I want to have fun in my car. But at the same time, I don't want to run a tune that is so aggressive it causes my car not to last as long as it could.
    They are...if I'm not mistaken they actually offer a couple revisions after the first one to tweak it more specifically to your car based on the logs you send back.

As Scott said though, you still probably wouldn't be able to tell a major difference between the two. Now a dyno tune, that's a different story. You'll notice that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.