first mod? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on first mod? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well you dont need winter tires...

well you dont need winter tires
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Actually, I would have to say tires for sure, then stiffer suspension to go with them. buy some springs and some shocks and struts after tires if you wish. This is what i did and would suggest before power.
    and as far as breaks, from what i understand, simply buying a high quality/performance pad and rotors will do a lot for you. rather than buy a big break kit which is by far more expensive and unnecessary for anything but looks or a dedicated track car that is reeaally fast and requires such large breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    and as far as breaks, from what i understand, simply buying a high quality/performance pad and rotors will do a lot for you. rather than buy a big break kit which is by far more expensive and unnecessary for anything but looks or a dedicated track car that is reeaally fast and requires such large breaks.
    Rotors honestly don't make a huge difference in stopping power/ability. However pads, SS brake lines, and upgrading to a better brake fluid, all do.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

What car would big breaks and large breaks be good for!? I always thought that if you break the car, then you have to fix it!

Bam! Chalk another one up for the grammar/spelling police!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man
    as far as breaks, from what i understand, simply buying a high quality/performance pad and rotors will do a lot for you. rather than buy a big break kit which is by far more expensive and unnecessary for anything but looks or a dedicated track car that is reeaally fast and requires such large breaks.
    Tires are what connect your car to the road. They will make the biggest difference in stopping.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Alright. You caught me..."brakes" i will write it 100 times so i dont get it wrong again.

and i agree, you all are on point. Pads etc. are all great for improving stopping. But tires, above all, help the most.

But would anyone agree big ..BRAKES.. are unneccessary?

Depends on what you're using them for. They can still be extremely beneficial if you're doing AutoX days, track days, or even a frequent twisty carver. They no doubt will brake better and especially have less fade, but they also break the bank sooner. If you were interested in budget big brake ideas, think of doing front STI Brembo take-offs. They can be had used for as little as $700 or so for fronts.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man
    On a regular DD, absolutely. They look badass, but you're not really gaining anything because it's unlikely that you'll be pushing your brakes to the point where they're insufficient. When you start experiencing brake fade due to multiple hard braking maneuvers, that's when a BBK becomes worthwhile, as the larger surface area helps dissipate the heat better.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Alright. You caught me..."brakes" i will write it 100 times so i dont get it wrong again.

and i agree, you all are on point. Pads etc. are all great for improving stopping. But tires, above all, help the most.

For daily use, yes. I was always under the understanding that bigger rotors predominately just help with heat dissipation i.e. for autocross/tracking/etc.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Nice thoughts. I may want to correct that statement... "unnecessary" in the context of a first mod.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you were interested in budget big brake ideas, think of doing front STI Brembo take-offs. They can be had used for as little as $700 or so for fronts.
    Better yet, 4/2pots for about that price for all four wheels.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Well, I know my first mod is going to be an AP stage 1 tune. I've read in many places that it not only smooths out the power band, it also give you slightly better fuel economy. I drive at least 70 miles a day and while no one buys a WRX for fuel efficiency, a few extra bucks in my pocket every week is a nice side effect from buying something that will improve my power band. Plus, I'll also be able to use it when I go stage 2

It all depends what you want to do with you with your ride though. Tell us how you plan to use it.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Definitely stage 2 if its not older than a 05 wrx than no need for a catless up pipe if it is in fact a 02-05 wrx up pipe first than stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Better yet, 4/2pots for about that price for all four wheels.
    Truth. Didn't even think about those.

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    Well, I know my first mod is going to be an AP stage 1 tune. I've read in many places that it not only smooths out the power band, it also give you slightly better fuel economy. I drive at least 70 miles a day and while no one buys a WRX for fuel efficiency, a few extra bucks in my pocket every week is a nice side effect from buying something that will improve my power band. Plus, I'll also be able to use it when I go stage 2

It all depends what you want to do with you with your ride though. Tell us how you plan to use it.
    It's your right foot that will control your fuel economy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.