Highly Debatable...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Highly Debatable... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First things first, just got my 2012 WRX and have had it for about a month now..... yay! Now on ...

Highly Debatable...

First things first, just got my 2012 WRX and have had it for about a month now..... yay!
    Now on to the actual question...

As far as performance mods, which brands does everyone here prefer?

I'm looking to try and stay with one brand as much as possible but not a necessity. Been looking as going with the Perrin route preferably but if there junk then I guess not. Any help would be great guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I like COBB tuning.
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #79
    DIRTY CREW #79

COBB for the AP then invidia Q300 for exhaust with the their high flow catted DP then go with the Crawford Air/Oil separator followed by a COBB EBCS. Every brand has a few good pieces that they bring to the table. Hope that helps

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would not be sticking to one brand.

If I were it would not be Perrin.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    I would not be sticking to one brand.

If I were it would not be Perrin.
    +1

Sent from my Android using Forum Runner

www.modmeets.com
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I'm a Cobb guy. The quality and customer service is unmatched.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Why do you want to stick with one brand?

I Support ClubWRX
    There's no reason to have brand loyalty with our cars. A bunch of good companies make great products; pick whichever one suits your needs best.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^ This! And I'm a fan of buying both new and used parts!

Thanks guys!
    I was only wondering as this is my first brand new car not to mention turbo and awd... Plus I'd hate run into a certain brand of aftermarket that just doesn't work with these cars and waste the hard earned cash.

From what it sound like, the AP from Cobb is definitely the way to go... Would it be wise to get this first?
    Also just real quick, CBE or turbo-back?

From what I understand, you can buy an AP and go immediately to stage one without adding anything else to the car.

A DP is required for stage 2. (please anyone who knows better correct me if I'm wrong)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99kustoms
    Thanks guys!
    I was only wondering as this is my first brand new car not to mention turbo and awd... Plus I'd hate run into a certain brand of aftermarket that just doesn't work with these cars and waste the hard earned cash.
    That's what reviews are for. If you're considering a particular part from a particular brand, try to see how other owners have made out with that product.

From what it sound like, the AP from Cobb is definitely the way to go... Would it be wise to get this first?
    Cobb AP is a popular tuning solution. However, if you have a laptop, you can get better/cheaper tunes via a Tactrix cable and OpenECU software (some shops do e-mail tunes, where they'll ask for logs and modify the map to ensure your car takes it well).

Also just real quick, CBE or turbo-back?
    That depends on how far you want to get into modifying the car. A TBE will require a tune, so factor that into the budget. A TBE/tune will also decrease your chances of getting powertain warranty claims approved, so be aware of that. A CBE would be the safer bet if you're looking to maintain warranty, but be aware it won't really add power, it will just make the car louder.

UNYSOC

Well if you get a CBE you don't have to get an AP.

CBE just gives you some good sound. If you want to get an TBE then definitely get the Cobb AP.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Cobb AP is a popular tuning solution. However, if you have a laptop, you can get better/cheaper tunes via a Tactrix cable and OpenECU software (some shops do e-mail tunes, where they'll ask for logs and modify the map to ensure your car takes it well).

That depends on how far you want to get into modifying the car. A TBE will require a tune, so factor that into the budget. A TBE/tune will also decrease your chances of getting powertain warranty claims approved, so be aware of that. A CBE would be the safer bet if you're looking to maintain warranty, but be aware it won't really add power, it will just make the car louder.
    Going with the AP, I have seen rumors on these forum sites that it allows to to tune back to stock for taking it in for warranty and is apparently undetectable?
    Kind of looking to do the tuning myself rather than rely on a shop, but I also like to keep it fairly simple... I know I won't get the best results that way but I'm assuming the results will still be very dependable, as it appears you just select the mods done and load them to the AP?

I Support ClubWRX
    Going with the AP, I have seen rumors on these forum sites that it allows to to tune back to stock for taking it in for warranty and is apparently undetectable?
    Kind of looking to do the tuning myself rather than rely on a shop, but I also like to keep it fairly simple... I know I won't get the best results that way but I'm assuming the results will still be very dependable, as it appears you just select the mods done and load them to the AP?
    Modifications to the ECU can cause warranty claim denials. Cobb says it won't (they're in business to sell their product, not saying they're lying), but people at dealerships say otherwise. If you're concerned with warranty, you shouldn't consider reflashing the ECU.

As for the AP, if Cobb makes a map that pertains to the modifications on your car, you won't need anything more than the AP itself, assuming your car takes the map well. I've had mixed results with base maps (e.g., Cobb), in which cars have loved the maps and times where cars have pulled 2-3 timing @ WOT (which is unacceptable).

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast