Highly Debatable... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Highly Debatable... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by EJ257 Cobb AP is a popular tuning solution. However, if you have a laptop, you can get ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Cobb AP is a popular tuning solution. However, if you have a laptop, you can get better/cheaper tunes via a Tactrix cable and OpenECU software (some shops do e-mail tunes, where they'll ask for logs and modify the map to ensure your car takes it well).
    Yeah... OpenECU might be easy for some but not easy enough for me.. Relying on a tuner to send me a e-tune and doing logs and such is not for me. I got the AP ran Stage 2 for a while then got protuned by Jorge (P&L Motorsports). Been running that protune since September '08.

Quote Originally Posted by 99kustoms View Post
    Going with the AP, I have seen rumors on these forum sites that it allows to to tune back to stock for taking it in for warranty and is apparently undetectable?
    Kind of looking to do the tuning myself rather than rely on a shop, but I also like to keep it fairly simple... I know I won't get the best results that way but I'm assuming the results will still be very dependable, as it appears you just select the mods done and load them to the AP?
    They still can detect you have altered the ECU with the Cobb AP/other engine managements... Some people say they won't know but come on..

Keeping it fairly simple is why I went with the Cobb AP back in '07 and have been using it since.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmmm so best bet sounds like not really messing with the performance side of things and just do a CBE only for the better sound(imo). Then save up for the DP, AP and whatever else I think of to go with and just hold off till the warranty is up and have a shop tune it for me, since theres mixed results with the base maps.
    Probably just make the handling a little bit stiffer, just seems like too much body roll in this car. Maybe I had my expectations really high, but nothing a couple sway bars and strut braces can't fix (well hopefully).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord
    Yeah... OpenECU might be easy for some but not easy enough for me.. Relying on a tuner to send me a e-tune and doing logs and such is not for me. I got the AP ran Stage 2 for a while then got protuned by Jorge (P&L Motorsports). Been running that protune since September '08.
    Have you ever played with the OpenECU interface? I don't see how using a laptop instead of a proprietary device is that much more difficult to flash your car. Considering you work in IT, I find this statement mind-boggling...

As for the e-mail tune, everyone should datalog their tune once in a while, whether it's a Cobb, TP, XPT, or custom reflash. Like I said, especially with base maps, not every car takes them well. Datalogs give you hard evidence whether or not the map is safe or not.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Where do you live? (I don't see it in your 1st post or profile)

This would be the way I would go for upgrades.

- CBE
    - Swaybars + Endlinks
    - Springs/Struts (I am running Prodrive Springs on stock struts but they don't make them for the newer years anymore)

Possibly a 2nd set of wheels/tires depending on where you live. I run different wheels/tires in summer vs winter. (I live in Maryland)

Have you ever played with the OpenECU interface? I don't see how using a laptop instead of a proprietary device is that much more difficult to flash your car. Considering you work in IT, I find this statement mind-boggling...

As for the e-mail tune, everyone should datalog their tune once in a while, whether it's a Cobb, TP, XPT, or custom reflash. Like I said, especially with base maps, not every car takes them well. Datalogs give you hard evidence whether or not the map is safe or not.
    I've seen the OpenECU interface.. Meh. Not for me. Glad it's mind-boggling to you!

I like things SIMPLE as possible.. Simple to me might be different to you..

Buy the AP.. Plug it in.. Flash Stage 1 map.. DONE. Ran that for a while then Plug in AP.. Flash Stage 2 map.. DONE. Upgraded Turbo + Supporting mods.. got custom map to get me to shop for protune.. got protuned.. DONE.

Different people.. different opinions

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Where do you live? (I don't see it in your 1st post or profile)

This would be the way I would go for upgrades.

- CBE
    - Swaybars + Endlinks
    - Springs/Struts (I am running Prodrive Springs on stock struts but they don't make them for the newer years anymore)

Possibly a 2nd set of wheels/tires depending on where you live. I run different wheels/tires in summer vs winter. (I live in Maryland)
    Right, gotta get on this profile editor thingy...
    I live in the Chicago area, so a second set of rims/tires is a must here. Speaking of which, bronze colored rims on the Ice Silver color, opinions?
    Any recommendations as far as what thickness swaybars to run? Was thinking about running the Perrin bars (open to suggestions though) and they come 22,25mm on the front and 19,22,25mm rears.

Yeah a 2nd set of wheels/tires are a must in Chicago! I'm running my stock '07 WRX wheels with Dunlop Wintersport 3D tires. Have been running them for 2 winters now. Last winter was VERY mild for us here.

As for what color wheels on the Ice Silver.. I'm not sure never really saw too many Ice Silvers yet.. Hmmmm

I have 27mm WhiteLine FSB adjustable and 24mm WhiteLine RSB adjustable.

Here is a really good thread about Swaybars and Endlinks. Swaybar & Endlink FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99kustoms
    Right, gotta get on this profile editor thingy...
    I live in the Chicago area, so a second set of rims/tires is a must here. Speaking of which, bronze colored rims on the Ice Silver color, opinions?
    Any recommendations as far as what thickness swaybars to run? Was thinking about running the Perrin bars (open to suggestions though) and they come 22,25mm on the front and 19,22,25mm rears.
    You live in Chicago, and you have P&L in your back yard. They are one of the top Subaru tuning shops in the country. Contact them about tuning solutions. Junior is the tuner there now, and is a magician with our cars.

As for swaybars, that should be dependent on your struts/springs. TiC (one of the best Subaru vendors out there) has a good write-up on determining swaybar size:
    NASIOC - View Single Post - Sway Bars for 02 WRX

UNYSOC

Guys(well maybe gals? haha), seriously though, I thank you for these ridiculously quick responses and pointing me in the right direction.
    I wasn't aware of P&L yet but I guess a trip to talk to them is in the near future and sounds like Junior will be getting business.

Again, Thanks

Matt: What happened to Jorge @ P&L?

99kustoms: No problem. Glad we can help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord
    Matthew: What happened to Jorge @ P&L?
    Get it right, dammit!

I'm not sure the story behind P&L. Jorge was going between IAG and P&L for a while. AFAIK, Jorge only tunes @ IAG now; Junior has been involved in all of the P&L postings I've seen lately on Nasioc. Jorge may still tune there, but everything I've seen lately has been Junior...

UNYSOC

Get it right, dammit!

I'm not sure the story behind P&L. Jorge was going between IAG and P&L for a while. AFAIK, Jorge only tunes @ IAG now; Junior has been involved in all of the P&L postings I've seen lately on Nasioc. Jorge may still tune there, but everything I've seen lately has been Junior...
    Okay Matt.

Jorge tuned me (through IAG) but it was before IAG has a dyno at their shop. I know IAG flies him in and pays for his expenses while he is here in MD and I'm sure P&L probably doesn't like that.. Taking him away from their business. :-X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12