Just a '02 WRX owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just a '02 WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Howdy all. I am new to Subaru, I recently purchased a 2002 WRX in blue. I used to drive Nissan. ...

Talking Just a '02 WRX owner

Howdy all. I am new to Subaru, I recently purchased a 2002 WRX in blue. I used to drive Nissan. I previously have had a 240sx with a Silvia swap, a Sentra with bluebird, and a 350z touring. I absolutely love this car. It is just a blast to drive and even know if has high miles it does great. I really really love it. It will need a little work but for the most part it is a really wonderful car.

Greetings to all and happy to be a member of the forum. - baltimore MD.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my car.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	107103

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the purchase!

If you need any parts or advice let me know.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats to another Maryland bugeye owner!

Plans for the car?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    If you're interested, I'm attempting to breathe some life back into the Mid-A section of ClubWRX. I'm working on setting up a meet:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-at...eet-greet.html

Facebook me here

Nice! Another bugeye owner

Welcome to the site!
    Protuned VF39'd Bugeye WRX - 262awhp / 257awtq @ 20psi - My Build Thread!

welcome enjoy your new toy and forum
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Welcome and congrats to another Maryland bugeye owner!

Plans for the car?
    Not sure yet. I would like to lower it with the STI equipment, maybe a pulley kit and some extra air for the engine. I think I would like to start with lowering, a short shifter, Subaru JDM red brakes ( I think 4 and 2 pot) and a new stereo... the clock doesn't work and well it is always a "what time is it am I late to work" mornings.

Glad to meet you.

thanks for the warm welcome. Much gratitude to you all.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by seertekoms View Post
    Not sure yet. I would like to lower it with the STI equipment, maybe a pulley kit and some extra air for the engine. I think I would like to start with lowering, a short shifter, Subaru JDM red brakes ( I think 4 and 2 pot) and a new stereo...
    Please make sure you research; this is not a Honda. You can't slap on parts.

A few things:
    1.) STi take-off springs and struts will hardly "lower" the car. The WRX ride height is less than half an inch higher than STi: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX and STi spec page Though the inverted struts and stiffer springs will give you an improvement.
    2.) A "Pulley" set is not a good idea in the least. First, it is a waste of money for the performance and second, you are liable to experience phantom misfire codes: IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    3.) Why "JDM" brakes when you can purchase 2006-2007 WRX take off brakes that are precisely the same and much cheaper? Also, you may wish to start with the "H6 rear brake upgrade" and a good set of pads/fluid.

Generally, stage 2 is the most common upgrade. Since you have a 2002, you'll want to change out the UP for a catless UP first and foremost (for longevity reasons)

Facebook me here

^Great info...

Subarus are fun, but finicky. Tons of aftermarket support, but things need to be done in conjunction with each other.

Definitely do tons of research before you decide what you want to do. Not that everyone has to, but especially if budget is concerned, following a specific mod path is usually a good idea. Think about what you want out of your car: do you want more power? Good daily driver? Nice handling? All for looks? etc. Answer those questions, and you can figure out the mod path that will take you there correctly (read: safely and reliably).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Tons of aftermarket support
    I was just thinking about this today. Sometimes I forget how many GREAT R&D teams make parts for the WRX/STi. I was looking up parts for my friend's Mini Countryman today (I figured there would be some fun additions) and the aftermarket selection is so minimal.

Facebook me here

A few things:
    1.) STi take-off springs and struts will hardly "lower" the car. The WRX ride height is less than half an inch higher than STi: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX and STi spec page Though the inverted struts and stiffer springs will give you an improvement.
    2.) A "Pulley" set is not a good idea in the least. First, it is a waste of money for the performance and second, you are liable to experience phantom misfire codes: IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    3.) Why "JDM" brakes when you can purchase 2006-2007 WRX take off brakes that are precisely the same and much cheaper? Also, you may wish to start with the "H6 rear brake upgrade" and a good set of pads/fluid.

Generally, stage 2 is the most common upgrade. Since you have a 2002, you'll want to change out the UP for a catless UP first and foremost (for longevity reasons)

A few things:

I like your style. Thanks for the look out. First things are first. I need new bushings for sure. There is a slight shake when idle every 10 seconds or so and my best bet is motor mounts so that I will need too. I need to get some bushings for the shifter so I figured why not decrease the throw since it is a little long, any suggestions? I would get the Subaru parts but if you can suggest something better I would love to learn. I am not looking for a huge exhaust, slammed on rims, body kit car. I have done that. I know that I either need rear bushings or struts cause there is a wonderful squeak around turns. Not a concern when it comes to the ride right now. All in all for a used car that is 10 years old and owning it for 2 weeks its an awesome automobile.

I didn't want to slam the car down (like you average honda user) I figured I am replacing the struts why not get some STI or JDM STI gear. If you have suggestions I would love to hear them. I have done some research on this and to be honest I loved driving a slammed car but it compromised the handling so much that so much more had to be changed, I guess like most cars right? As far as the brakes go I just figured Subaru parts are best for the car, I already intend on putting steal braided lines in for brakes and the clutch. Are knock offs not that much different? In most cases the cheaper then they wear and tear faster. I will for sure look up what you have recommended.

I looked in to pulleys only because I have done it for so many other cars (Nissan's) so I know the increase in MPG and low end is there. I normally am driving to work and back 9-5 so I don't really get above 4k like ever. Most shifting is done in the 1.5k to 3k range. Is a lighted crack pulley better? I would like to increase the longevity of the motor if possible so a decrease in rotation mass externally seemed correct, am I wrong?

Thanks for your info I really appreciate it being a new Subaru owner. It is quite a different car from what I am used to but so awesome I wish I had test drove one so long ago now. The 350 seems like a joke compared to this car.

Are there other things I can do to increase handling and braking? what would you recommend?

when I get my ride sorted out I would be happy to start a meet with you or attend. I would be very fond of a mountain meet or ski/snowboard meet at different mountains..

zax
    There is a slight shake when idle every 10 seconds or so and my best bet is motor mounts so that I will need too
    Is your A/C or defrost on? Also, stiffer motor mounts will INCREASE the amount of NVH transmitted into the cabin.

I didn't want to slam the car down (like you average honda user) I figured I am replacing the struts why not get some STI or JDM STI gear
    STi struts wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade IMO. Best bet is to go with something like Tokico D-spec struts and RCE springs. Sway bars and tires will give you the best performance upgrade for you at the moment IMO.

I looked in to pulleys only because I have done it for so many other cars (Nissan's) so I know the increase in MPG and low end is there. I normally am driving to work and back 9-5 so I don't really get above 4k like ever. Most shifting is done in the 1.5k to 3k range. Is a lighted crack pulley better? I would like to increase the longevity of the motor if possible so a decrease in rotation mass externally seemed correct, am I wrong?
    It's not a worthwhile upgrade. If longevity and MPG increase with no adverse side effects was in the works with underdrive pulleys, why didn't Subaru include this from the factory? It's not that simple unfortunately. I have a lightweight crank pulley, but only because my original pulley was pretty rusted and rubbing on the belts (fraying). Decreasing the mass of the flywheel doesn't increase the longevity of the motor. In fact, it might work opposite to that train of thought because the flywheeling effect helps to resist sudden changes in crank accel.

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast