How goes it? How it goes: - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on How goes it? How it goes: within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I disagree with this. I was wondering whether to get a WRX or STI. I got a WRX and I ...

I disagree with this. I was wondering whether to get a WRX or STI. I got a WRX and I don't regret it. It is more than enough car if you're just driving on the road

Yes, if money were no object I would rather have an STI. I could have paid cash for a STI, but I would rather have $10k in my pocket to put down on a house.

Also, if you're planning to drive the car off road a lot, plan on putting money into the suspension (which would be another reason not to get the STI). I don't think the suspension on these cars is made to be abused. And you may want to rethink getting a new car, since you will destroy the paint job. Maybe look for a unmodified 2008-2011 WRX?

Quote Originally Posted by Dramlin View Post
    Lots of mixed answers here.. these threads pop up often and generally always end with the same result. Which is..

-If you can comfortably afford the STI, then get the STI. If not, the WRX is a great car.

The facts are that the STI is better in just about every way, and you will notice all the better-ness in general driving, but it's also a lot more expensive than the WRX. The WRX is still very fun and well worth the money, especially being so much cheaper than the STI.

With all that said, its up to you, your finances, and your priorities. Since you are already asking the question you will likely regret not getting the STI if you don't buy it now. BUT that regret can be subdued if you know that it was the right choice financially.

-Edit- Most of the reply's thus far have been pro WRX vs STI. Just wait for all the STI folks to chime in to even things out . From that you can pretty much tell that most everyone likes their car, and the choice they have made. You can't really go wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    Also, if you're planning to drive the car off road a lot, plan on putting money into the suspension (which would be another reason not to get the STI). I don't think the suspension on these cars is made to be abused. And you may want to rethink getting a new car, since you will destroy the paint job. Maybe look for a unmodified 2008-2011 WRX?
    Hummm.... anyone have opinions on this?

No offence, but isn't the suspension in the sti designed for taking a beating? Obviously, no car can take an infinite amount, but comparably isn't the sti's going to last better than the wrx? As for the paint job, My wife beat the hell out of her paint job when she had a forester with no major problem. and if my jeep could take it back in 2004 (which the paint was the ONLY thing that held up in that car) I'm not too worried.... I'm more interested in the major systems of the car... I think a new set of suspension is pretty cheap, and I know shocks are a PITA but fairly cheap and easy to install for the most part.

I guess I didn't make my point very well. The STI rides lower than the WRX, so if you drive it off road, you're going to be hitting the ground a lot more. Even though these cars are the basis for a rally platform, that doesn't mean you can take your stock STI out and drive it hard off road and not expect it to be damaged

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    I disagree with this. I was wondering whether to get a WRX or STI. I got a WRX and I don't regret it. It is more than enough car if you're just driving on the road
    Yep everyone is different. I bought the WRX and ended up regretting it, so I was just the opposite. I went though all of the variables prior to purchasing a car and found that the WRX was the logical choice, mainly due to the money versus value that is the main topic of this thread. I also read all over these forums that the WRX is 95% of the STI, at $8k less. That was a key selling point to me. I was perfectly happy with the WRX for about 6 weeks before I started to think about the STI. Not that the WRX was bad.. just that the STI had so much more to offer. After a few more months of thinking about the STI daily I decided to go for a test drive. That was my financial doom as I suddenly realized that the STI was a completely different car.. not just 5% more than the WRX. Since life is short I bit the bullet and traded my WRX. My only regret now is wishing that I had gotten the STI the first time around (obviously ).

With all that said, finances is the most important item though. If the car can't be comfortably afforded then it wouldn't be worth it.
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

From what I've heard, the wrx is not 95% of the sti, too much is different. That said, neither is really set up to go rally driving off the shelf if that's one of the things you want to do.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Financially, my vote is the WRX. If you are sinking money into a house, I always advise people to push the limits of what they can do because in several years those limits won't seem so much of an issue (assuming steady employment). So, get the house you really want. Then take the rest, get a WRX, and after three years if you have decided you must get an STI, the retained value in these cars is substantial.

Or, just go with your heart ...
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

IFL

My worry with waiting is that Subaru will not continue the sti... at least not in a 5 door.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    Financially, my vote is the WRX. If you are sinking money into a house, I always advise people to push the limits of what they can do because in several years those limits won't seem so much of an issue (assuming steady employment). So, get the house you really want. Then take the rest, get a WRX, and after three years if you have decided you must get an STI, the retained value in these cars is substantial.

Or, just go with your heart ...
    +1
    Now is a great time to buy a house in CA. It's much cheaper to trade up to a new car than a new house.

I wouldn't worry about the not continuing the STI. Cars just keep getting better and better, so even if you can't get an STI, something else will come along.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Guys, there are a million threads on this STi vs. WRX debate. Let's not get too passionate here.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by hstfan View Post
    My worry with waiting is that Subaru will not continue the sti... at least not in a 5 door.
    I would be surprised that you could even get an sti (the one that you want) for 2012 anymore... there are only a select few left out there since they stopped ordering a few months ago. Unless you dont care much about the color or trim level... you mention you want a hatch so i am assuming that you are going for the sti base?

Anyway... I just got my WRX and have had it for almost 2 weeks. I love it and dont regret trying to convince myself to go for the sti. For me, I cannot comfortably afford the sti so the decision was simple. Then I was looking at all the available WRX hatchs out there now and my choices were very limited so I sprung on a base WRX saving myself even more money. I am more interested in the performance of the car and dont mind missing out on the heated seats, leather, or sunroof.

The DCCD is a very cool piece of technology I will give it that and the Brembos are probably tons better than the WRX. The power increase of the Sti over the WRX is not that much of a bump and can easily be made up on the WRX... plus the WRX is already lighter and the 5 speed is geared in such a way that it is faster 0-60 than the sti.

Either way it is all up to you. What do you want out of the car?

You say you want to go off roading: WRX has better ground clearance / Sti has the DCCD for off road parameters adjusting the diff...
    You say you want to go to the track a few times before you pay it off: sti is a better for the track with a 6 speed, Brembo brakes and more power out of the box
    You say you want to do some major mods... the sti is going to set you off at a higher level to start with but you also are paying more up front. You could take your 10K you save and easily do full suspension, stage 3, and have money to go out to eat!

For me it was the money and I am really happy with the WRX. I come from a highly expensive technology car the Volvo S60R. The technology was cool but also very expensive to replace. The adjustable struts were at best price online $275 a piece and $450 OEM A PIECE (and no other options or choices for coilovers on that car).... then there is the AWD unit which ran me close to 2,000 to replace and reseal (thank god Subaru AWD is bulletproof) and then just everything else was expensive to maintain. I had to pay to play, it was a really fun car and I do miss it but what I lost in that car in the WRX (leather seats, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, adjustable suspension, awesome stereo...etc) the WRX makes up for in performance (better AWD, better handling, lighter, and just as quick if not quicker stock), and looks better. So I am happy with the WRX it truely is a great car. If I ended up getting a different job and my salary was a lot more and I could have afforded the sti... sure I would have been happy to drive an sti.
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Thank you everyone, I've talked it over with the wife, and she said the same thing a lot of you said too, just in a different way... In a few years she doesn't want to hear me complain about not getting the sti; and that is what I have always wanted, no rime or reason for it; just want the top of the line, and no modding will ever fil the hole in my heart. LOL. So I shall wait, the next sti will probably be better anyway.

Please feel free to stop the thread. before it gets worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12