New 2012 DMG 5-Door on order
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 2012 DMG 5-Door on order within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I thought that I'd introduce myself to the group, and hope to find some friendly helpful people on ...

New 2012 DMG 5-Door on order

Hey everyone. I thought that I'd introduce myself to the group, and hope to find some friendly helpful people on here.

My story:
    I've owned mazdas my whole life - and I wasn't really following other manufacturers because I've had such a wonderful relationship with Mazda. However, nothing in their line-up met my driving requirements for the next 5-years or so.

I have a Mazdaspeed3 2008 with 70,000 miles that I use as a daily driver in Massachusetts (exhaust, CAI, tuning). Since buying the MS 3, we have had 2kids (a 3-year old daughter and a 2 year old son), so the MS3 was working fine, but it wasn't all about performance any more. So the new car had to be as big as the MS3, with the versatility of a hatchback at minimum. It also has to be relatively safe in crash tests/on the road with the kids in the back (but I don't want a tank either).

I work in Worcester, and the city has decided not to plow the streets until after the snow is done flying for 'budgetary reasons' (even though we only got 2 snowstorms last year so they couldn't possibly be near the budget limits on snow removal - don't get me started). So the new car had to be AWD or 4WD so I can get the kids to and from daycare if necessary. I'm in Webster, MA, so the commute is primarily highway and about 17 miles round trip +/-.

Also, I'm a dad, but that doesn't mean I don't want to be excited by my car when I look at it and when I drive it. My motorcycle (09 triumph speed triple) might be my personal rocketship, and fill my need for speed, but I want a car that can still make me smile and make my daughter go "Weeeeeeeeeee! Go faster!" when we launch at a stoplight or on our drive home. Performance matters to me - but it can't be at the expense of anything else.

If you are still reading this, you (like myself) assumed that I couldn't get all these items in one car, and I would have to make some sacrifices to get what I wanted - but I really didn't want to sacrifice the performance at first.

So, I test drove the new MS3 as a place to start. It was fun, but it's terrible in the heavy snow (even with snow tires), and the 'updated look' is blah to me. I did get a great offer on it though, and highly suggest the Mazda dealer in Shrewsbury, MA (Derek) if you are looking for a MS3.

I test drove a Civic SI too, and, much like Honda's motorcycles, they are nice cars - nothing to complain about. And they fail to excite me in any way, at all, any where, ever. It's like they make a cool car, then take out anything that might offend anyone in any way.

I decided to go the small SUV route then, because AWD really should be necessary (thanks to my wife for pointing this out). I tested a Rav4 (hate the back wheel), CX-5 (where's the power), and Ford Escape 2.0L (it looks stupid and mediocre in performance), and decided that I'd give up the performance (for the kids, I guess) and get an Escape - even though I didn't see myself in an SUV. However, push comes to shove, and the Ford dealer wouldn't move on his price much at all, and I don't like to haggle - it's a waste of time. I'm a 'give me your best price' guy, and if I don't like it, I walk - there are a lot of dealers out there looking for sales.

So, dismayed, and pondering if I should buy a minivan (not really), I drove home where I remembered that there was another dealer on my way home. I didn't even remember what they sold at the time, but it was worth a look. Well, it was a subaru dealer, and on the lot was a used 2009 WRX in WR Blue. Huh, I'm not really familiar with subaru, but that's kind of like the MS3... it's not bad looking at all, but it could be beefier at the wheels...and subaru makes AWDs I think? Let's talk to the saleman.

So, talk to the dealer, test drive the 2009, and I'm pleasantly shocked that it handles decently (not as sharp as the MS3, but it's acceptable) and accelerates nicely (i never had an issue with torque-steer, but it's nice not having it for a change), and there is room for 4 adults (or 2 adults and a couple of child seats). It was a bit soft for my liking in the handling department, and the shifter wasn't the best either. I did complain about the lack of force the looks of the 2009 wrx had, the shifter and the soft handling, and I didn't need the fun gadgets of the STI (a car which seemed to fix these issues), so I went home to research subaru and think it over. So, 2 days later I get a call from the dealer, and when I stopped in they took me out back to where they had just received a white 2012 WRX base model and were finishing the detailing of it. Outside of the color, I was in love (I like dark cars).

So, end of story (thanks for reading this far) I ordered a 2012 WRX 5-door in Dark metallic Grey with the SPT shifter and STI bushings (they are checking on the bushings, I might just refund that money and order/install it myself when I get the car). It should be in in early October - which is wonderful because I'll have the title for the MS3 in hand to make the transfer easier. They didn't move quite as much as I would have liked on the price, but i beat edmunds 'good deal' number, so I guess that's decent.

Hopefully I'll be able to fix the minor issues of the car with aftermarkets/SPT products - while still keeping it a daily driver. And hopefully this forum can help me solve these issues!

First up is the shifting (SPT shifter and bushings should be enough), then the handling (stiffer sway bars might be enough? research required), then the exhaust/tuning (SPT exhaust is expensive. research required). I think that should get me a bit more power (more torque than hp is what I want). I like the boxer rumble i've noticed on a few cars around my office, but I don't want to be obnoxious either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and congrats!

You've basically hit the nail on the head with the things people tend to modify with these cars. Short shifter and bushings (lots of people like the SPT, others swear by aftermarket companies who shorten the throw significantly more).

I've been told that sways and endlinks make a world of difference in the handling.

A stage 1 tune will even out the power delivery and give a noticeable bump. Stage 2 is also just a tune with the addition of a downpipe.

Good luck with the wait!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Nice intro! Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Wow! what an intro! if i wasnt at work id read the whole thing but at the moment tl;;dr...but congrats man!

Yeah, that's what happens when I'm bored waiting for a meeting to start.

Congrats on the car Jesse! its gonna be a long two months!!

Congrats man. Hope you love that car. I'm sure you will.

Thanks guys. I'm rather excited. My MS3 had treated me very well, but it's time for something new (sold the MS3 a few days ago and got the wife a regular loaded Mazda 3 for work driving), and with 2 kids I have to get something that is a mix of a reliable 'adult' car with a (huge) helping of fun thrown in.

I'm down to driving my boring old mazda 6 until the car gets here - while it handles rather crisply it just doesn't have the umph i'm used to.

Which brings me to the next issue with ordering and waiting for any performance car ... and then going for a ride in well-set up car (I'm totally 100% blaming you, wrx50, when my wife asks)... you 'collect' parts:

Cobb AP (delivered yesterday) with the holder-thing from rally sport direct
    SMY cluster (delivered yesterday - i'm going to try to rig something to hold the Cobb AP like a gauge, not sure yet)
    SPT Boost gauge (don't laugh, I like how the gauge looks the best, and I got a good deal on it and the install is rather easy)
    RA Mudflaps (delivered yesterday - black with grey lettering)
    Magnaflow 3" Exhaust
    Exhaust hangers (in this week)
    Cobb Heat shield (in this week)

All that is left for my Stage 2 is a good Forge BPV (I know it's not needed, but it offers me peace of mind vs the cheap stock one), and an invidia catted downpipe (with grimspeed turbo/DP gasket). Plans are to go stage 1 almost immediately, and install the fun gauges and stuff that I have, and get used to the car, with stage 2 at about 5000 miles +/-.

I'm not really sure if I want to get a Cobb SR Intake & Box yet, that's up in the air so far. Also, after about a year, I'll probably do a new intercooler, and boost control selanoid and Grimspeed AOS if necessary, then get it protuned.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 08-07-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Welcome, congrats and take lots of photos
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Are you getting just one gauge?

If you are going to leave the AP on all the time,you should know that there is the possibility of screen burn.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Well, the idea had crossed my mind to utilize the AP full-time as a pseudo-gauge, but if this is the case (screen burn), I might just reconsider and run it when I feel like being exceptionally cool that day (you know, for all the chicks I pick up with the 2 baby seats in the back of the car).

I eventually want to get 2 gauges (boost and ... something, probably a AFR but I'm not 100% on that yet) to help monitor the DD aspect of the car. I don't want to go too crazy and have 5000 gauges all over the place, that just looks tacky to me. But the SMY seems like a rather stealth way of monitoring basics without going overboard or having to permanently drill the dash.

I can confirm the screen burn if you leave it on. It happened to mine. It is still 100% visible and useable but it is annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Which brings me to the next issue with ordering and waiting for any performance car ... and then going for a ride in well-set up car (I'm totally 100% blaming you, wrx50, when my wife asks)... you 'collect' parts:
    Jesse. Ill take that as a compliment. Will you hurry up and get that thing already so we can start bolting things on it. Wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! wow you dont waste anytime, mod list is bigger than mine and you dont have the car yet lol.

i love my spt shoft shifter, and i can't wait for my bushings to come later this week. I'm sure you'll love the car when it comes as we all do here.
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

Just to update the already-bought mod list for a car that doesn't even exist yet:

Cobb AP with the holder-thing from rally sport direct
    SMY cluster
    SPT Boost gauge
    Innovate AFR Gauge & Kit for install (ordered today while I was reading this forum)
    RA Mudflaps
    Magnaflow 3" Exhaust
    Invidia Catted DP with Grimspeed Gaskets all around (out to welder once I get the extra bung)
    Exhaust hangers
    Cobb Heat shield
    Forge BPV
    Winter Tires & 2004 WRX rims (painted black)

That should be it for a while, as I want to get tint and a front clear bra...except for maybe I'll get a short antenna so I'm not looking like a big RC car ... and maybe a Grimspeed EBCS...and a PW TMIC (or maybe FMIC)... and a Cobb SR & Box... and those grill things to protect my hood scoop and radiator (and FMIC!)

... and probably a divorce attorney...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.