Insurance difference: Hatch/5door vs Sedan/4door

This is a discussion on Insurance difference: Hatch/5door vs Sedan/4door within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am looking at options, running my Cost/Benefit analysis on different models and options as I am looking to order ...

Insurance difference: Hatch/5door vs Sedan/4door

I am looking at options, running my Cost/Benefit analysis on different models and options as I am looking to order a 2013 WRX in the near future. The STI and WRX Hatch both came in at about $450 p/ six months for me while the sedan for both came in around $500 p/six months. About $100 and $150 increase respectively, but I expected that moving from a 2002 GMC Yukon to a 2013 vehicle like the wrx, so the increase was fine. I was suprised by the differnce between the hatch and the sedan, even comparing both versions of the STI and the WRX. I use State Farm and they have the hatch classified as a SW, which I suspect is station wagon, so that might be the difference.

Anybody else run into this?

Thanks, you all have been helpful. Hopefully I will ordering a new ride in the near future.

Cheers,

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Insurance quotes and billing vary wildly from location to location. They aren't supposed to, but they do. Most "insurance threads" culminate in everyone paying different rates based on location, driving record, age, marital status, type of coverage etc.

My car+my wifes=$1400 a year with very good coverage. That being said if I buy a new car, my total premium goes down because the car will adhere to a higher safety standard than mine was manufactured under. We saved $500 a year by buying my wife a new car in the same category. When searching and checking insurance, we found it didn't matter which car, any one would make her insurance that much cheaper, just because it was new.

When I moved 20 miles 4 years ago to a higher income neighborhood with lower crime in a better county, my insurance premium increased $100 every 6 months. I asked the lady why and she said "I dunno thats what the computer says." For fun I had her type in my parents address in the 3rd poorest county in the state, with higher crime an additional 20 miles away and my premium was $200 cheaper every 6 months.

Insurance is a scam, but a necessary evil. I have used my coverage before on a few occasions so I do not mind paying.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Understood, but I guess I am looking at the difference between styles, not so much the rate itself. I know that will change based on local, history, reductions discounts for other lines of business.

But as to the style being the trigger for a delta like that, any thoughts?

I Support ClubWRX
    Insurance companies have strange ways of doing business. In some cases the STI comes out to be cheaper to insure than the WRX. In other cases some companies do not even list the WRX or STI as options & they are classified as Imprezas.

Have you decided which version you are more interested in? I personally am a hatchback fan. Has more space for stuff which is important for me.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Hatchback for sure. I like the notion of space, it looks more adult without being boring and I like that I could add a rack for my bikes without it looking out of place.

Thanks!