New owner being hassled by the man about exhaust - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

This is a discussion on New owner being hassled by the man about exhaust within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mcdbrendan What part of CO are you in? I live in Alma CO which is in Park ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alma, CO
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    What part of CO are you in?
    I live in Alma CO which is in Park County. Park County does not have emissions testing. Currently I am visiting some friends who live near Nederland because I play poker for a living and these guys live near the casinos. Plus I wanted to show off the new whip. I got pulled over on I-70 eastbound between Frisco/Breckenridge and Idaho Springs right around Georgetown.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,733
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyndiana_J
    42-4-225. Mufflers - prevention of noise. Statute text

    (1) Every motor vehicle subject to registration and operated on a highway shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-off, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section.
    NY has this same ambiguous crap in their VTL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glyndiana_J
    Anyway it is a Cobb exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyndiana_J
    And here's the culprit
    FYI, that is not a Cobb exhaust. Cobb exhaust looks pretty stock, where that looks like an angled fartcan (I know for sure it's not a Cobb, at least).

    At this point, you have three options:
    1) Return the catback to stock
    2) Swap to a catback that looks and/or sounds stock
    3) Leave the current catback on and risk getting pulled over / ticketed
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alma, CO
    Posts
    18
    Forgive me for being less than fully knowledgeable about my car. I have only had it about a week and I'm looking forward to getting more accustomed to the terms and developing a rich understanding of the vehicle. Luckily my roommate is an electrician and former mechanic. Feel free to request more detailed pictures of whatever. I took those very quickly because my phone was about to die.

  5. #19
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,733
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyndiana_J
    Forgive me for being less than fully knowledgeable about my car. I have only had it about a week and I'm looking forward to getting more accustomed to the terms and developing a rich understanding of the vehicle. Luckily my roommate is an electrician and former mechanic. Feel free to request more detailed pictures of whatever. I took those very quickly because my phone was about to die.
    Nothing to apologize for.

    Looking at the exhaust, I can tell it's modified. I'm sure any LEO who is half-awake would be able to state the same. Since your VTL is ambiguous, it puts you into a situation where an officer needs to use their discretion whether to stop / cite you. If I were in your shoes, I would take option #2 in my previous post. Invidia Q300 comes to mind, as it looks OE, isn't too expensive, and is a pretty good quality exhaust piece.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alma, CO
    Posts
    18
    Interestingly enough I'm moving back to NY in a few months. I could be remembering wrong maybe it's just a Cobb access port. Also it is entirely possible that it's catback; I honestly don't know how to tell. These parts are all new to me and I'm admittedly quite ignorant of the terminologies. You guys are a great help for me right now. I'm incredibly impressed with the quality of response and response time from ya'll at clubwrx.

  7. #21
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,805
    Another option would be to find a stock STI axleback.

    The one on the car looks like one of the older Perrin exhausts.

    And as Zax stated, you're better off getting rid of the turbo timer.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

  8. #22
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,733
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyndiana_J
    Interestingly enough I'm moving back to NY in a few months.
    Where in NY?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  9. #23
    Registered User mcdbrendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyndiana_J View Post
    I live in Alma CO which is in Park County. Park County does not have emissions testing. Currently I am visiting some friends who live near Nederland because I play poker for a living and these guys live near the casinos. Plus I wanted to show off the new whip. I got pulled over on I-70 eastbound between Frisco/Breckenridge and Idaho Springs right around Georgetown.
    He wasn't sitting with his window open on I-70, what's the reason for him pulling you over? Gotta watch the speed coming down from Eisenhower!

  10. #24
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,938
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    FWIW, this is what the Cobb looks like:
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  11. #25
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    4,927
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Another option would be to find a stock STI axleback.

    The one on the car looks like one of the older Perrin exhausts.

    And as Zax stated, you're better off getting rid of the turbo timer.
    Speaking of which, I'll have a spare STI axleback for you here in a couple weeks, if the OP is interested. The STI axleback has a nice burbly note at idle, but totally quiet at speed. Plus, it's OEM. You can find them in the $75-$150 range usually.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

    The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alma, CO
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    He wasn't sitting with his window open on I-70, what's the reason for him pulling you over? Gotta watch the speed coming down from Eisenhower!
    Probably should have put my front plate on ASAP instead of waiting till I got to my old roommates house where I knew there would be plenty of screws. I didn't get a ticket but I was not speeding in fact I was practicing going the exact speed limit. My theory is that he just wanted to give me a pot ticket. He gave me the whole, "Have you been smoking weed? Why does it smell like weed in here." And I also don't believe that there is an $800.00 exhaust ticket.

  13. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alma, CO
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Where in NY?
    I grew up in Bethlehem/Delmar NY right outside of Albany. That's where I'll be going back to crash at my parents for a little while and then I'm going to go back to school at UVM in Vermont where I have about one semester left before I graduate.

  14. #28
    Registered User mcdbrendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyndiana_J View Post
    Probably should have put my front plate on ASAP instead of waiting till I got to my old roommates house where I knew there would be plenty of screws. I didn't get a ticket but I was not speeding in fact I was practicing going the exact speed limit. My theory is that he just wanted to give me a pot ticket. He gave me the whole, "Have you been smoking weed? Why does it smell like weed in here." And I also don't believe that there is an $800.00 exhaust ticket.
    I HATE that crap. Every time I've been pulled over in CO, that's the first question. I'm young, but I'm not an idiot - driving under the influence is not my MO. Sounds like he had a few BS reasons, plus the legal reason of missing plate. Was he running radar/laser? (only way of knowing is a detector, or seeing him with the gun in hand)

  15. #29
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,793
    I Support ClubWRX
    May be a coincidence. Is this the same car? Back after a long hiatus
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  16. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alma, CO
    Posts
    18
    To be honest it was almost five minutes after I passed him that he sped up behind me. He was in the process of pivoting his car around in an area off the side of the highway that was under construction. I think he was faced towards traffic doing radar a few minutes earlier but was just finishing so no radar at the time I passed. But the worst part was how he got in the left lane and boxed me in behind a semi going five under while a long string of cars began to get caught behind him. This lasted about three minutes and I knew I was going to be pulled over the whole time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •