Car shopping: Focus ST and WRX 2012/13
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Car shopping: Focus ST and WRX 2012/13 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am looking at getting a spirited daily driver which is fun whilst practical. I have narrowed the field to ...

Car shopping: Focus ST and WRX 2012/13

I am looking at getting a spirited daily driver which is fun whilst practical. I have narrowed the field to the Focus ST and the WRX. I have driven the 2011 WRX and I really enjoyed it. Fun to drive, spacious enough backseat for the kids around town as well as the hatch for bike, gear etc. Then, I came across the Ford ST which they are introducing about the same time the WRX 2013 will be out, actually ordering for the 2013 ST is available now. Test driving both will be hard to do as neither are available to see in person, even the 2012 WRX are too scarce to even see in person.

I know this is a WRX forum, so I certain expect some bias, but i also think you all are well reasoned folks and well informed. The WRX has the heritiage, the AWD, the after market Mod and parts network as well as the Subaru family of quality. I would also add that the WRX seems to hold its value REALLY well.

The Ford ST has a history in its Europe, although I think with a different engine, better gas mileage with comparable power to the wrx, it is only FWD and it doesn't have the aftermarket/network in the states that the WRX does, no history on how the Ford will hold its value.

Anyway, pros to both, not really many cons as they both seem like great vehicles on paper and in review. Any thoughts?

Thanks...I think this is my first post.
    Last edited by rugbysecondrow; 07-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    To me it comes to reliability and versatility in that order. I won't put up with an unreliable vehicle at this point so I'd check Consumer Reports and owner forums.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I agree with you. Reliability is hard to find with WRX as so many people mod them. Nothing wrong with that, but it is hard to gauge stock reliability in a realm where mods are so prevalent. It seems Subaru as a whole has a reputation for reliability, so that is important. The Focus has a pretty good rep as well as being a good car worldwide. With both of these models, it is hard to see which is most reliable. I would likely leave which ever car I purchased stock at least until the warranty expired or replace broken parts with upgraded ones. So, essentially, drive both as stock for the first 3-5 years before making any substantive changes.

Thanks for responding!

Paul

I Support ClubWRX
    You may find something in the interior of one better than the other then, reliability being comparable (don't know, discussing).
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I know you said it would be difficult to test drive them...but it essentially comes down to that. The driver feel of a FWD pocket rocket versus an AWD car are liable to be different, and only you can decide what works for you. Car and Driver was predicting something like 21 city/31 highway...which, while a bit better than a WRX, (19/25, if you believe Subaru's site. I got 27 out of my modded WRX last weekend on the highway), I'm not sure I'd use that as the basis for an enthusiast car decision. "How you drive" will have more to do with it.

Good luck!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Makes sense, thanks. I am in no hurry on either, but I am leaning towards the WRX. I want to support Ford and the direction they are heading, but the WRX is a lust worthy car and I like the lineage and the ride. Hopefully I will be able to test drive a 2013 ST and WRX in the coming months, it is just trying to find a dealer with a 2012 in stock and hopefully the Ford dealers will have an ST available to drive. Regardless, nice to see there is some quality competition in this market.

I Support ClubWRX
    Absolutely! I want the American manufacturers to prosper, and offer up some worthy enthusiast competition.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Banned
    How could anyone in their right mind recommend a car that isn't even available yet? Sorry but this is a goofy thread.

Anyways, do you guys think I should wait for the first nuclear powered car or buy a 2020 WRX?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    How could anyone in their right mind recommend a car that isn't even available yet? Sorry but this is a goofy thread.
    That is how I bought my WRX; it was not yet available.

I Support ClubWRX
    I researched, asked questions, and read about the 2002 WRX before they were technically available in the US. Lighten up.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That is how I bought my WRX; it was not yet available.
    You sir are more brave than I. I can't afford to take a $26k gamble.

The Focus ST is so hyped up, it'll be nearly impossible to live up to it, but I hope it does.

Banned
    Someone on this forum once said don't form opinions on a car based on a spec sheet. I can't remember who it was......

In this case you're comparing the Focus ST's spec sheet to the 2013' WRX's wish list? Nobody knows anything about the 2013' WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    He's not making hasty judgments based on spec sheets; simply asking for opinions based upon what's known.

A little less "arguing for argument's sake", a little more "friendly conversation" would seem to be in order.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    He's not making hasty judgments based on spec sheets; simply asking for opinions based upon what's known.

A little less "arguing for argument's sake", a little more "friendly conversation" would seem to be in order.
    +1

First, thanks.

Second, I specifically picks the newbie area to ask my newbie question. You ought not troll these sections just to find agitation.

Third, I never referenced spec sheets, in fact I said nothing about specs.

Fourth, these aren't new cars, the Ford ST has a lineage in Europe for a few years and quite a few reviews and info. I am a lay person when it comes to cars, not an enthusiast likes yourselves, which is why I asked. You guys have "been there done that" much more than I which is why I asked.

Fifth, many dealers in my area don't have the 2012 WRX and have even said they don't allow test drives, which puts me in a precarious position. I am uncertain if the Ford ST will have a similar setup.

Thanks all for your reasoned comments. Let me know if you have any other opinions regarding the OP.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    Someone on this forum once said don't form opinions on a car based on a spec sheet. I can't remember who it was......

In this case you're comparing the Focus ST's spec sheet to the 2013' WRX's wish list? Nobody knows anything about the 2013' WRX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.