Car shopping: Focus ST and WRX 2012/13 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Car shopping: Focus ST and WRX 2012/13 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If it's anything like the one that's been selling in Europe for the last few years, I'm sure the Focus ...

If it's anything like the one that's been selling in Europe for the last few years, I'm sure the Focus ST will be a great car, but, as you've said, you'll have to drive both before you make a decision. If I wasn't working in a field where I can't call out because of weather (emergency medicine) and in an area that gets paralyzed by one inch of snow (Seattle), I'd be giving the Focus ST more of my attention, but the WRX will be a better choice for me.

This may be entirely based on years of watching Top Gear, but looking at the success that the Fusion (direct relative of the Mondeo in the UK) has had in this country in terms of sales and reliability it's hard not to see the Focus ST as a great option.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    How could anyone in their right mind recommend a car that isn't even available yet? Sorry but this is a goofy thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That is how I bought my WRX; it was not yet available.
    I'm buying my next car this way too. Many people do it!

Quote Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
    Thanks and I agree. Another question than. For the WRX, do you guys use have dedicated summer and winter tires, or does the AWD coupled with some all-season tires do the trick? I live in Maryland where the weather very from hot as hell (now) to the possibility of 80 inches of snow in the winter, and everything in between. That is partially why I really liked the WRX, the AWD actually seemed like a safety feature as it would likely have better handling and control in foul weather.
    Given your location the AWD is an obvious benefit, though in MD you don't really get enough snow in particular stuff that sticks to really take advantage of the AWD nearly as much as someone in the Rockies, New England, or upper midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXZX141K View Post
    Regardless, it's still wrong wheel drive, and a focus.
    And being a Focus is a positive. Personally I think they're one of the best small cars out there and a driver's car with excellent steering feel, braking, and the ST will have excellent power.

To the OP, I really couldn't recommend one over the other based on anything other than the AWD. Both are excellent cars and very similar in handling (based on driving a Focus a few years ago and I think they're better now) with similar low-end interiors. They're both reasonably fast cars with similar acceleration and braking times/distances. I just could never drive a FWD car again other than a rental or borrowed car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Personally, I think that if you want to play with the car at all: road, rain, snow, or dirt, you're going to want the WRX. I was blown away by what $25k gets you in this car.

The Focus ST seems to me to be the next Civic SI. That's great and all, but that's what I expect will be the community you're getting in to with them once the mod community ramps up.

Looks? I think the WRX wins hands-down. No contest. The Focus is a Focus. Nobody sees a Focus on the road and says "wow - nice car" or "that car is hot". But even a stock WRX catches people's attention, especially those in the know. Even a homeless guy told me how awesome my car was.

Creature comforts: I'm betting that the Focus will win this category hands-down. If it has Sync and some of the other doo-dads that Ford likes so much, this will be an easy decision. The WRX has a crappy stereo and only a little bit of amenities inside.

What is going to be best for you? Nobody here can answer that, but I think this thread has once again proven that this is NOT a group of people as biased as you would expect! And more importantly, here's a detail that trumps every bit of my arguments above: you are buying this car for YOU; not anybody else. So just make sure you're happy with it!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Looks? I think the WRX wins hands-down. No contest. The Focus is a Focus. Nobody sees a Focus on the road and says "wow - nice car" or "that car is hot". But even a stock WRX catches people's attention, especially those in the know. Even a homeless guy told me how awesome my car was.
    See that's the great thing about the world: variety. IMHO, I think the focus ST just looks FANTASTIC. On the other hand, the WRX (to me) looks like a flared Corolla.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    See that's the great thing about the world: variety. IMHO, I think the focus ST just looks FANTASTIC. On the other hand, the WRX (to me) looks like a flared Corolla.
    I thought the 2008 - 2010 did, but 2011+ are awesome. But like you said: it's all opinion and nothing is invalid!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I think they are both hot cars, I appreciate the feedback. Part of it is going to be how well I fit in the car, being 6'2' and 225 pounds. The WRX felt good, plenty of room for me and a car seat behind me. Oddly enough, I sat in a WRX STI and the wheel was too low and not enough room, the ****pit felt different. The regular focus feels good, not sure if there will be any ****pit change other than the Racaro seats.

Anyway, a good problem to have as I think they will both be fun cars to drive.

Cheers,

Paul

EDIT: Too funny, just noticed it took the c0ck out of c0ckpit. haha

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
    ...Part of it is going to be how well I fit in the car, being 6'2' and 225 pounds. The WRX felt good, plenty of room for me and a car seat behind me. Oddly enough, I sat in a WRX STI and the wheel was too low and not enough room, the ****pit felt different. ...
    You know the steering wheel is a telescoping wheel, you can push/pull it as well as move it up/down

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    The Focus ST seems to me to be the next Civic SI. That's great and all, but that's what I expect will be the community you're getting in to with them once the mod community ramps up.
    I was about to be all like "yo what you talkin bout dawg" in your face, but then I realized you were talking about the community, not the performance

Foxie and I were just talking about this the other day, the demographic who used to go for the older Civic SIs, or the older GTIs, so budget pocket rockets...what are they buying these days? Scions? Will it be the ST? How much is the ST going to cost?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    well i'm a def looking into the focus st too gonna be a great car and bring some serious competition to the golf and the ms3 , 250hp and 270tq its gonna fly literally

can say i'm a lil dissapointed in the 3 packages they offer was hoping you could add a few more accessories etc but hey i'll take the st2 package and live with it , know and driven the UK spec ST and RS they are right little stealth fighters and i believe like when the wrx arrived here in 01 as a my 02 how it took the untrained or unknowing by suprise even then with its 227hp !!

and its not like i havent owned or modded 1 of every gen impreza or sti ...currently own the stealth version of the evo the lancer ralliart with recaros awd, adjustable diffs , ayc with paddle shifting

see this what happens when they delay the next gen sti / wrx till when 2014/2015 ...

oh and since a lot of folks ask why the st or hotter rs arent awd ...heres the answer direct from the horses mouth so to speak....

Ford’s focus guru, Gunnar Herrmann, answers that question.
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/why-isnt...ers-video.html

...and one more thing why cant we get it in green !!

Last edited by Weasel 555; 07-09-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Thanks for checkin in as someone who has actually driven an ST!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

you asked this a little too late since ford just finish the test drive for the st in June. also my friend works for ford and drives an 04 focus ST. one thing i can tell you is people get surprise when he pulls off on them since its a focus, but overall being reliable for ford is the first 75,000 mile after that everything goes. Usaully and most common are the hydro filled top motor mount then their cheap struts at 36,000 right when warranty goes. but in my point of view a lot of heads will turn if you get the wrx since everyone knows what it is. but more car enthusiast will smile for being different. also with the mods you will definitely have to wait and see what they put out for the focus since american car makers have a habbit of ditching their compact tuned division

top gear made an episode about that knuckle traction thingy majig and they stated it was rubish so idk.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's been my observation over the years that Top Gear, while mighty entertaining, can also be full of rubbish here and there.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds as though reliability is important to you, as is should be. I've heard lots of knocks against WRX/STI's. Frankly, I chalk most of it up to the mod bug+punishing driving. Don't get me wrong, I think vehicles are made to be driven, however, respecting a vehicle's limitations is equally important. Anytime you push the envelop in one area, there are potential downstream affects on other components.

As some of the other posters mentioned, I am all for supporting domestic car makers. The US car industry has come a long way. I've purchased a lot of new cars and I fell into this trap with Ford twice. Frankly, their product is either inferior or I was one of the unlucky ones. On both occasions, the vehicles I purchased started to have problems shortly after expiration of the warranty. On one occasion, I was at 27K miles and 1-week post 36 months. I worked with the dealer and Ford and despite the low mileage, I was stuck with a $900 repair bill. Needless to say, Ford remains on my "do not buy" list. On the other hand, my experience with GM products has been positive.

Take my recommendation for what it is worth....
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123