Car shopping: Focus ST and WRX 2012/13 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Car shopping: Focus ST and WRX 2012/13 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow Second, I specifically picks the newbie area to ask my newbie question. You ought not troll ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
    Second, I specifically picks the newbie area to ask my newbie question. You ought not troll these sections just to find agitation.

Third, I never referenced spec sheets, in fact I said nothing about specs.
    You've done everything right.

The second comment was directed at Rayfields as a carryover from a previous discussion, and had no place in your thread. Sorry.

I'm very interested in the Focus ST, and it is one of several cars that are coming out which may be difficult to test drive. I know finding an Abarth to test is nearly impossible...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I know you said it would be difficult to test drive them...but it essentially comes down to that. The driver feel of a FWD pocket rocket versus an AWD car are liable to be different, and only you can decide what works for you. Car and Driver was predicting something like 21 city/31 highway...which, while a bit better than a WRX, (19/25, if you believe Subaru's site. I got 27 out of my modded WRX last weekend on the highway), I'm not sure I'd use that as the basis for an enthusiast car decision. "How you drive" will have more to do with it.

Good luck!
    Thanks and I agree. Another question than. For the WRX, do you guys use have dedicated summer and winter tires, or does the AWD coupled with some all-season tires do the trick? I live in Maryland where the weather very from hot as hell (now) to the possibility of 80 inches of snow in the winter, and everything in between. That is partially why I really liked the WRX, the AWD actually seemed like a safety feature as it would likely have better handling and control in foul weather.

Thanks

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
    Thanks and I agree. Another question than. For the WRX, do you guys use have dedicated summer and winter tires, or does the AWD coupled with some all-season tires do the trick? I live in Maryland where the weather very from hot as hell (now) to the possibility of 80 inches of snow in the winter, and everything in between. That is partially why I really liked the WRX, the AWD actually seemed like a safety feature as it would likely have better handling and control in foul weather.

Thanks

Paul
    A set of all seasons would certainly be serviceable, BUT (there's always a but!)

These cars come from the factory with summer tires. They are useless in the snow from what I've read, plenty of anecdotes about having next to no control. So by the time your first winter rolls around, you'd be wanting to get something else anyways. Point being, if you see snow in the winter, you aren't going to want to wait until you wear out the summers so you can just put on a/s tires and call it a day, unless you can completely avoid driving the rex when it does snow.

Personally, I budgeted so that the very first "aftermarket" purchase I made was a set of steelies with winter tires. I got a set very lightly used for $600.

As far as your original question, really the best way to compare the ST and the WRX is going to be to wait and drive them both once you can. Luckily you said you're in no rush There's a lot of subjectiveness that goes into buying a car. Reliability-wise, I'm willing to bet that both cars are perfectly fine. Most cars these days are generally reliable, unless there's something weird going on like the '09 engine failures, and then it should be something that the manufacturer would take care of.

Good luck!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    A set of all seasons would certainly be serviceable, BUT (there's always a but!)

These cars come from the factory with summer tires. They are useless in the snow from what I've read, plenty of anecdotes about having next to no control. So by the time your first winter rolls around, you'd be wanting to get something else anyways. Point being, if you see snow in the winter, you aren't going to want to wait until you wear out the summers so you can just put on a/s tires and call it a day, unless you can completely avoid driving the rex when it does snow.

Personally, I budgeted so that the very first "aftermarket" purchase I made was a set of steelies with winter tires. I got a set very lightly used for $600.

As far as your original question, really the best way to compare the ST and the WRX is going to be to wait and drive them both once you can. Luckily you said you're in no rush There's a lot of subjectiveness that goes into buying a car. Reliability-wise, I'm willing to bet that both cars are perfectly fine. Most cars these days are generally reliable, unless there's something weird going on like the '09 engine failures, and then it should be something that the manufacturer would take care of.

Good luck!

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new WRX (c'mon, we all know it's the better car! )

The biggest difference between them will likely be the difference between FWD and AWD. They are very different animals in the handling department, and in how they put the power down. A well sorted out FWD car can do it well, but there are times when it really impacts things (test drive a Mazdaspeed 3 to get an idea). AWD is strong off the launch and great in any type of slippery weather, but it does add some weight to the car and drivetrain loss of power.

If you deal with bad weather during the year, you will love having AWD. Rain, snow - with tires for the right time of year (a must!) you will have plenty of grip.

I would find a way to test drive each before I buy 'em, as theses two cars will feel fairly different. Enjoy the process, and post up pix after you get your '13 from Subaru. (BTW - the latest word seems to be that the models sold as '13s will be the same as the '11s and '12s.)
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

AWD>FWD personally I will never go back to a FWD car. I absolutely love the AWD I feel much safer driving my AWD WRX as well, especially in the rain. Im in SoCal so the weather here is pretty nice. FWD Wheel Spin is annoying. IMO I would take Japenese car reliability any day over an American vehicles. Also subaru WRX maintains its value extremely well.. I doubt you can say that about a Ford.
    Last edited by YorkWRX11; 07-08-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    11 SWP LMTD Hatch SPT Exhaust, Kartboy STS w/ Bushings, 30% Tint, Red tails, Stage 1 TP Tune

I don't see how anyone is comparing a focus to a WRX.

This shouldn't even be a debatable topic.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXZX141K View Post
    I don't see how anyone is comparing a focus to a WRX.

This shouldn't even be a debatable topic.
    The ST is no normal Focus. If it were a regular Focus we were discussing, then there would be no comparison, however the ST's speculative numbers put it in direct competition with the Mazdaspeed 3, GTI, Mini, and even the WRX.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    The ST is no normal Focus. If it were a regular Focus we were discussing, then there would be no comparison, however the ST's speculative numbers put it in direct competition with the Mazdaspeed 3, GTI, Mini, and even the WRX.
    Regardless, it's still wrong wheel drive, and a focus.

The SRT4, is still a neon.

IMO None of those cars compare to the WRX's, I test drove them all, except the ST obviously.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Matter of opinion, as you stated. Each of the above named cars has their ups and downs, the WRX does as well. It all comes down to which car the driver likes more.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

There are those who would say the WRX doesn't compare to a GTI, what with it's cheap unrefined interior and loads of understeer.

And those who would say the WRX doesn't compare to a MS3, heck you're spending thousands more and not getting as many features and stuck with a way softer suspension!!1!

See what I did there?

It's all subjective, like Cody said.
    - Will

I agree guys. The AWD as a ride characteristic as well as a safety feature is a big plus for me. There is a place for a FWD Ford ST and I hope it does well, really well. The Ford seems like a daily driver that can be fun to drive with some performance, not a performance car trying to also be a daily driver.

In addition, one of the HUGE factors for me is buying a car which will hold its value. There are used 2011 WRXs selling for darn near the price of a new 2012. Historically, it seems even the 6-7 year old WRXs hold a really good value, so there little hit for buying a new one plus there is more value there when/if I decide to get a newer WRX or move to another vehicle.

All that being said, hopefully I will be able to drive both to make a decision. Thanks all.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXZX141K View Post
    The SRT4, is still a neon.
    IMO None of those cars compare to the WRX's, I test drove them all, except the ST obviously.
    The WRX/STI is just an Impreza, yet another tarted-up econobox.
    Obviously I'm a fan, but let's not get carried away. Ford's line of small cars is huge in Europe, and well-thought-of, by the people there that I've spoken with. I probably wouldn't wind up in a Focus ST myself...but I wouldn't discount it as a selection for someone else.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The Ford Focus ST looks to be a fantastic small car. Ford U.K. has built a myriad of excellent compact cars and hot hatches. Having driven the new focus (about which I was VERY impressed), I can only imagine that the line-topping (in the U.S. at least) ST will be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    and stuck with a way softer suspension!!1!
    I consider this a plus!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I consider this a plus!
    Ditto, that was one of the major reasons why I went with the WRX over the MS3
    - Will

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast