93 octane gas in stock wrx, is this ok?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 93 octane gas in stock wrx, is this ok? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I thought our cars are tuned for 91 octane, but have a place with 93 that I like. I figured ...

93 octane gas in stock wrx, is this ok?

I thought our cars are tuned for 91 octane, but have a place with 93 that I like. I figured that having 89 or 87 would be bad, but 93 should be ok.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

93 is fine. Its all I've used in my car. I read somewhere the the reason our cars cant use 87 or 89 is because they have lower combustion rates, so if we used those the gas will ignite due to pressure before the sparkplug can light it, which then creates a misfire.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a "lowest common denominator" thing. A number of places in the US don't have higher than 91, so they tuned it for that. 93 won't hurt a thing.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

BPanda, with all the other stuff you have planned for your WRX, why don't you bump the Cobb AP up in priority? I've read that a stage 1 flash will actually improve your fuel economy (apparently they run a little rich stock) along with your power and torque curves from stock. You can then flash it specifically to 93 octane too.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

I will eventually, I just don't want anything bad to happen to the engine and be screwed without a warranty. My clutch is already making this click sound when I push it down that's so annoying. 250 miles on it and I get my first problem, so I'm going to wait a little bit. I actually have my RA mudflaps and gauges just sitting around waiting for the temp to get lower. Hopefully the exhaust will be in soon so I can drown out that click sound.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    93 is fine. Its all I've used in my car. I read somewhere the the reason our cars cant use 87 or 89 is because they have lower combustion rates, so if we used those the gas will ignite due to pressure before the sparkplug can light it, which then creates a misfire.
    this is essentially it. The octane rating is a rating of how resistant that fuel is to premature combustion. The higher the better. Premature combustion is knock, which is terrible for your engine. If you use a lower octane fuel, the ECU's knock control strategy will pull enough timing to make it safe, but you'll lose a ton of power and efficiency.

Ideally, you'd tune for the highest octane fuel you can get, and always get that - that way, you'd be able to run better timing, potentially more boost, etc. The highest octane that subaru can guarantee the owners get is 91, so they tune for that. 93 is just extra good.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    My clutch is already making this click sound when I push it down that's so annoying. 250 miles on it and I get my first problem, so I'm going to wait a little bit. Hopefully the exhaust will be in soon so I can drown out that click sound.

Yikes! Have you taken it to the dealer to have them look at that clicking? That's not cool at all for a new car to be having problems right away. I know you're all for drowning it out with the exhaust, but I'd still check to see if they can figure out what is wrong with it and fix it. I would expect it to be covered. Hope it's a quick fix and nothing serious.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

^^^^ Apparently it's "normal" and doesn't damage anything. I'm still going to bring it in sometime just to make sure because I don't need anything breaking on the car. After driving it all day today, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did the first time I was hearing it. If it gets any louder though I'm going to go crazy.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    ^^^^ Apparently it's "normal" and doesn't damage anything. I'm still going to bring it in sometime just to make sure because I don't need anything breaking on the car. After driving it all day today, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did the first time I was hearing it. If it gets any louder though I'm going to go crazy.
    Well, this isn't the original thread you posted about it, but I did depress the clutch a few times yesterday once I finally got into my car. I think I may have heard something like this click you describe, but it was very faint and I couldn't even hear it when I was actually driving.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Yeah, mine is a little bit louder. There are youtube videos of it sounding so ridiculously loud, louder than the turn signal, just hoping it never gets that bad.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.