SO!! Im considering my first subaru(WRX wagon)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on SO!! Im considering my first subaru(WRX wagon) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone how are you. Vmercado here. Ive always owned hondas, toyotas, and now a 240sx my circles are all ...

SO!! Im considering my first subaru(WRX wagon)

Hello everyone how are you. Vmercado here. Ive always owned hondas, toyotas, and now a 240sx
    my circles are all honda/nissan guys, so I dont know a DAMEND thing about the WRX, and my friends have little experience with them as well...

Im looking for a new Daily that is a good compromise between performance, daily driving, cargo, AND I would like to have more then one passenger every once and a while..

NOW my budget is between somewhere of 8k - 10k

and right now on auto trader(in my area), I see 02's and 04's for about 9kish...

What are common issues I can expect with these models? Ive done some research online, but I would like some comments with enthusiasts who really drive these things...
    Now im not looking to hit the track every week, but it would be nice to be able to take an aggressive turn every now and then.
    Also, I cant stress how much I miss the BOV venting. how difficult would it be to change the stock BOV to vent in the atmosphere?
    Let me know your thoughts and or comments. They would be more then appreciated....

-Seph Victor Mercado

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off I would not do the BOV. You could do a CAI, turbo inlet and that would allow you to hear the BPV. Common issues that you will run into on the older WRX is that the uppipe is catted and needs to be replaced with a catless uppipe. The trannys dont hold alot of power over stock but if treated right will do ok. I know alot of WRX guys that has a pretty good amount of bolt ons with no problems with the tranny but I know a hand full of guys that pushed them a little to far and had to rebuild them. They are fun cars to drive and modd but they need to be tuned with every upgrade to run and last.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most common cause of failure seems to be tUn3r owners, bad parts selection, bad maintenance, gearboxes, modified motors, radiators, axles.

See the how to buy threads in the purchasing forum. Find a stock car with a full written service history, and receipts for authentic parts and all maintenance. Then keep it that way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Another common problem on Subaru's are head gasket and ringland failures.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STiZzle2010 View Post
    Another common problem on Subaru's are head gasket
    No. On the EJ251, yes. Head gasket failure on the EJ205 is VERY uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by STiZzle2010 View Post
    ringland failures.
    Ringland failures were very common on early 2008 STis and 2009 WRXs. With all other Subaru motors, you are far more likely to see cracked pistons than ringland failure.

Transmission failure is one of the most common failures on 2002-2007 WRXs. In late 2002, the transmission was "strengthened" slightly increasing the gear width by 1mm in 1-4. Transmission failure is typically the result of poor gearbox design and driver abuse. This is an AWD vehicle: the car will have twice the grip of an equivalent RWD car and about 220% the grip off the line compared to an equivalent FWD car. When launched, that driveline shock can destroy transmissions. Don't launch, don't power shift, and the transmission will be fine.

Finally, EJ205 WRXs have a poor oil pan design. As a result, when cornering hard, it is not uncommon that the car will experience oil starvation. The temporary non-lubricated condition can cause crankshaft bearing failure. You'll hear a fair amount about "spun bearings." A way around this is to replace the oil sump with the EJ255/257 oil pan, pickup, and baffles. Unfortunately, it seems that there have been equal number of failures with the EJ257 oil pickup, so you trade a losing situation for another.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

If swapping to the ej255/7 oil pan, get a killerB oil pickup. Much better over the stock unit.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedubs View Post
    If swapping to the ej255/7 oil pan, get a killerB oil pickup. Much better over the stock unit.
    Not just "much better," the Killer B isn't designed to fail, unlike the OE unit.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Not just "much better," the Killer B isn't designed to fail, unlike the OE unit.
    Dry sump FTW.

So basically.. As a mildly driven daily driver, and driven semi aggressive on a weekend or two.. This car will do just fine?
    I'm not Tryin to race this thing, and or beat on the trans...
    I just want to hit up tail of the dragon and pikes peak once before I die...

Quote Originally Posted by Vmercado View Post
    So basically.. As a mildly driven daily driver, and driven semi aggressive on a weekend or two.. This car will do just fine?
    I'm not Tryin to race this thing, and or beat on the trans...
    Yes. This is the car you're looking for. Just keep up with the maintenance, no clutch drops, and it'll serve you well for a long time.

Awesome awesome awesome... Thanks for all the input... I'm going to take a look at this one this weekend

Cars for Sale: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon in Park Ridge, IL 60068: Wagon Details - 325311295 - AutoTrader.com

Please make sure to read the stickies (FAQ's) in Car Purchasing Forum especially, this post: How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    And a WRX is your choice of car to do this? There are many cars out there far better suited for those drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    And a WRX is your choice of car to do this? There are many cars out there far better suited for those drives.
    Well... I know the WRX wagon is prob not the "perfect" vehicle for that.
    BUT it would be a much hell of a better ride then my 1992 Nissan 240sux.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well... I know the WRX wagon is prob not the "perfect" vehicle for that.
    BUT it would be a much hell of a better ride then my 1992 Nissan 240sux.
    I'd rather drive a car with the correct drivetrain for corners. You'd be better off sticking with what you have if you ask me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.