Hello from another new (very near future) rex owner!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hello from another new (very near future) rex owner! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Due to shifting priorities in my life, I needed to get rid of my current ride ('09 G8 GT) and ...

Hello from another new (very near future) rex owner!

Due to shifting priorities in my life, I needed to get rid of my current ride ('09 G8 GT) and get something a little more practical. Living in WNY, having a car with AWD is a major plus but, after owning two "fast" cars I just couldn't make myself buy some vanilla sedan or SUV. The WRX seemed like a great compromise on paper so after a test-drive (which really impressed me) and arguing with salesmen for a few days, I finally have my new 2012 rex on it's way! Since I bought this car to save myself some money I probably won't be modding this year but, I have a feeling I won't be able to resist any more by the time next summer rolls around so, here comes the newbie question: Is Cobb *the* brand to be looking at for first mods/bolt-ons (accessPort, intake, exhaust, etc.) or are there some other good alternatives I should be considering?
    My new ride: 2012 WRX Sedan (DGM)
    My 2-wheeled baby: 2009 H-D VRSCDX
    Previous rides:
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT: Volant CAI, Solo Cats and Cat-back, ECM/TCM tune from Vector Motorsports - You will be missed!
    2005 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC: GMPP Stg 2, 2.8 pulley, I/H/E

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tuning: The accessport is popular for ease. Of course a pro tune is always preferable, but there are alternatives to Cobb if you just want to flash. You can buy a Tactrix cable, which connects a laptop to your ECU, and use free software to flash maps. There are companies out there that sell their maps; Torqued Performance is a popular one. As far as which is better, Cobb's maps or someone elses, there is usually debate about that. Accessport is convenient, but going the other route is roughly half the cost.

Bolt ons: There are tons of brands. Intakes; it all comes down to preference and they must be tuned for. Downpipes; there are different types (with different mouths, catted vs uncatted) as well as different brands, and again is mostly preference. Do some research on them. Oh and they must be tuned for as well. CBE; this comes down to preference even more, as everyone likes different sounds and sights.

Long story short, Cobb is not the end all be all. There are many good companies making quality products. I would recommend doing your research and maybe talking to a local tuner. Or, you can start bugging Kronosperformance, our resident parts guy. I hear that if you want parts or advice, you should let him know

Joking aside he is very helpful and spends a lot of time on the forum talking things out with people who have questions.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome leetmasterpyro! :P

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Tuning: The accessport is popular for ease. Of course a pro tune is always preferable, but there are alternatives to Cobb if you just want to flash. You can buy a Tactrix cable, which connects a laptop to your ECU, and use free software to flash maps. There are companies out there that sell their maps; Torqued Performance is a popular one. As far as which is better, Cobb's maps or someone elses, there is usually debate about that. Accessport is convenient, but going the other route is roughly half the cost.

Bolt ons: There are tons of brands. Intakes; it all comes down to preference and they must be tuned for. Downpipes; there are different types (with different mouths, catted vs uncatted) as well as different brands, and again is mostly preference. Do some research on them. Oh and they must be tuned for as well. CBE; this comes down to preference even more, as everyone likes different sounds and sights.

Long story short, Cobb is not the end all be all. There are many good companies making quality products. I would recommend doing your research and maybe talking to a local tuner. Or, you can start bugging Kronosperformance, our resident parts guy. I hear that if you want parts or advice, you should let him know

Joking aside he is very helpful and spends a lot of time on the forum talking things out with people who have questions.

Awesome summary. Thanks!
    My new ride: 2012 WRX Sedan (DGM)
    My 2-wheeled baby: 2009 H-D VRSCDX
    Previous rides:
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT: Volant CAI, Solo Cats and Cat-back, ECM/TCM tune from Vector Motorsports - You will be missed!
    2005 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC: GMPP Stg 2, 2.8 pulley, I/H/E

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.