Tips for buying wrx :)

This is a discussion on Tips for buying wrx :) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I'm pretty new to this forum and i have a few questions. In the next week i will ...

Smile Tips for buying wrx :)

Hey guys I'm pretty new to this forum and i have a few questions. In the next week i will be turning 16 and i will start working. I will be saving money for a 2002 bug eye rex and hopefully i can snag one in the next 12-18 months. For the next few months after my birthday I'm just going to look around to see what people are asking for. Since the fourth grade i have been into rexs ever since my dad bough his outback from the dealer. Im pretty knowledgeable about cars and i have rebuilt an engine and transmission. Im also a really big SUBIE fanatic and I'm proud to say that I'm going to buy a subaru for my first car no matter what. But i was just wondering what to look out for when looking and hopefully purchasing a 2002 bug eye wrx. can some of you give me tips on what to look for and not to look for?? Is it safe to buy a wrx that is slightly modified? I mean in terms of just a down pipe, up pipe, exhaust, maybe even a different intercooler? I have been looking on all the big forums including the mother forum NASIOC. I have seen many modded wrxs for sale and i have been wondering if it is safe to buy one that is slightly modified. Im also looking to buy a car with 100000miles and up because it is going to be my first car. Thanks guys, drive safe and have fun

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is a very hard question to answer thoroughly. There are MANY different things that could stand out in the engine bay of a wrx that could be red flags. It would be best best best if you can bring somebody with you to look at the car who is experienced with the wrx and what type of mods people usually do. People generally put these cars back to stock or close to stock before they sell them so you will want somebody who knows that to look for or knows what may be missing from the engine bay (turbo heat shield- cut or missing?- for example). If you don't know anyone, make a friend in your regional section of this forum or nasioc and see if they'll come out with you.

Edit: BTW Bugeye FTW!! Hopefully we will be able to welcome you to the club soon. Good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    When you are ready see the sticky threads in the purchasing forum.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well, first thing that I could tell you to look out for are obvious things(zipties where they shouldn't be, items with electrical tape or duct tape, leaks, etc.). Secondly, make sure that if it has the OEM intercooler, that there is no tape residue or tape hanging off of the y-pipe(which is under the intercooler, but can be seen from under the vehicle). Find out if the timing belt has been replaced and also make sure that the coolant has been flushed/changed(very critical since it will more than likely be a high mileage vehicle). One thing that will become evident, especially if it winds up with an automatic(4EAT) is a condition known as torque bind when making turns. It is a jerky feeling, and TRUST ME, you WILL know it! LOL Also, if there is a grinding sound while it is in motion could be the result of a bad wheel bearing. Obviously, no matter if it is a manual or automatic, you want to make sure that it shifts without difficulty. I know that there is a bunch of things that I have skipped over, but you get my drift. Don't get starstruck and become a drooling neanderthal at the first bugeye WRX you come across. Cars are like women, there are plenty of them out there and there is always a variety. Make sure that you and whomever you go with check it out thoroughly. While most Subaru owners that I have come across are pretty upfront and honest, there are still the few that will lie to your face about what has been done to the vehicle for the sake of making a buck. And as always, Don't Forget to ask for the CARFAX!!!!!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My advice, don't buy one.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    have a read through this

i personally wouldnt buy a modified subaru [or any performance car for that matter]

i would find one that is stock, has all its maintenance records, and preferably one owner.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    have a read through this

i personally wouldnt buy a modified subaru [or any performance car for that matter]

i would find one that is stock, has all its maintenance records, and preferably one owner.
    That is a good point and good thread. The only problem that I can foresee is that the OP is going to be a little hard pressed to find a one owner '02-'03 WRX. I'm not saying that if he took a magnifying glass and really looked thoroughly that he wouldn't be able to find one. I'm just trying to make the point that in 9-10 years time, he will most likley wind up being the third or fouth owner. I know that I was lucky to be the second owner of my bugeye, and I got mine back in 2005, LOL. But with all laughter aside, I understand your point and am by no means trying to discount what you have stated.
    Patrick
    2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl

Previous owner mods are always a gamble, try avoiding. insurance is going to be HIGH. if you don't understand how a normal 4 cylinder works, a boxer motor is going to confuse you. Specially if your buying high-milage, your going to be needing normal maintenance. let alone a turbo car being 16 as your first car, might not be in your best interest. Buy a civic or something, Opinions only, goodluck.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Quote Originally Posted by DiRty Impreza View Post
    Previous owner mods are always a gamble, try avoiding. insurance is going to be HIGH. if you don't understand how a normal 4 cylinder works, a boxer motor is going to confuse you. Specially if your buying high-milage, your going to be needing normal maintenance. let alone a turbo car being 16 as your first car, might not be in your best interest. Buy a civic or something, Opinions only, goodluck.
    i know EVERYONE beats on civics, but that was my first car until a couple months ago. i got my scoob once i had enough money when i was eighteen. i learned as much as i could because a regular 4 cylinder is so simple to learn on. i can totally relate to your excitement about a scoob though.. i was so pumped when i bought mine. basically what everyone says here is true, try to look for a bone stock car. look for stuff that is out of place, the one i bought had been put back to stock from a couple small things. +1 to getting it checked by someone who knows these cars! i've got an '02 wrx she's my baby.
    i'd also say dont go over 135k miles, i dont know your price range but where i am in wisconsin there were 02's with 150k miles for $10,000. i found one in chicago with 95k miles for $8000. but that took five months, and a lot of dealing with the guy. be patient and willing to travel! good luck with the search and welcome

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripple'sWRX View Post
    i know EVERYONE beats on civics
    Just for the record, I've stated in the past that the Civic is a better car than any Subsru of which I am aware.

My stance on buying used is buy with full service history, buy with receipts for authentic parts, and keep it the same way. When it wears to the point you can see the ground through the floorboard, repeat.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Buying a modded 2002 car that's not meant to be fast in the first place is a huge gamble. That said, you could buy a car that appears stock and in great shape, only to find it was heavily modded then returned to stock. Try to find someone mid aged and not under 25-30 to buy from. Make sure you go up in the rpms while test driving one too. Don't drive it like a grandma, make sure it pulls and holds boost as it should. Do a carfax report on the car and have a mechanic look it over carefully as if doing an inspection so you don't have problems passing emissions/safety when you get the plates for it. Other than that, they can be great cars or huge headaches. IMHO a civic or 4wd truck is a much better first car but to each his own. Be aware though, parts for subarus gets very expensive along with labor if something happens. You have to buy 4 tires instead of 2, and must stay on top of oil changes. Try to get a later 03 model as they have a bit better gears, I think code YY is for the weak ones. I can't think of much else that hasn't been said. Sorry for the randomness, can't view my whole post on my phone lol.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq