'New' Bone Stock 03 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 'New' Bone Stock 03 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Since 2005, I've had a 2005 350Z that was my project car, but I also daily drove it. Fully built ...

'New' Bone Stock 03 WRX

Since 2005, I've had a 2005 350Z that was my project car, but I also daily drove it. Fully built the motor, twin turbo (620 RWHP, very conservative tune), full suspension, big brakes, if you can think of it , it's been done to this car. It has seen tons of track time, and now will probably get more.

However, lately I started thinking maybe I should get a commuter car so that I don't have to drive the Z every day. An old family friend paid the dealer cash for this 2003 WRX back in 2003, and I've always begged him to sell it to me when he wanted to move on. Well, yesterday I got the call, so I bolted to pick it up. He said 3 guys made him offers at the dealership and even the dealer tried to talk him out of selling it to me.

Anyhow, enough talk, this one is BONE stock. ...most of you are probably like, ho hum, stock sucks, but I'm really pumped to have a 100% original (I mean even the original Subaru brochures and window tag are in the glove compartment), adult driven (the guy is over 50 now...) WRX.

I'm hoping to learn some stuff around here, because I really don't know much about these yet.

-Dr. P-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the purchase

If you need any parts or advice let me know.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Well, I need to know why the AC doesn't blow cold air and I need to know what size and offset wheels will fit nice and flush. Other than that, I'm as happy as a clam.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. P View Post
    ...most of you are probably like, ho hum, stock sucks
    Quite the opposite, actually. Unmolested bugeyes are exceedingly rare these days, and it looks like you found a real gem. I bought mine from a similar sort of owner (older guy, bought it brand new for his birthday in 2003, had all the original flyers, window sticker, service records, bone stock, etc)

Not sure what your modification aspirations are, but the starting modification sticky is a great place to start. Basically, air intakes and blow off valves are a waste of money on Subarus. Common mod paths include a short shifter with urethane bushings, a downpipe and tune, various suspension bits like swaybars, tires, etc.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Congrats! Beautiful car, 02 prob my favorite year and WRB is my favorite color. No wonder you had people trying to out bid you.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats! We love 100% stock cars

How many miles on it? If you don't mind me asking.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Quite the opposite, actually. Unmolested bugeyes are exceedingly rare these days, and it looks like you found a real gem. I bought mine from a similar sort of owner (older guy, bought it brand new for his birthday in 2003, had all the original flyers, window sticker, service records, bone stock, etc)

Not sure what your modification aspirations are, but the starting modification sticky is a great place to start. Basically, air intakes and blow off valves are a waste of money on Subarus. Common mod paths include a short shifter with urethane bushings, a downpipe and tune, various suspension bits like swaybars, tires, etc.
    Wow that's great to hear. He gave it to me stupid cheap too, I almost felt bad. The dealer offered him more by a couple thousand... It's never been in any collision, not even a fender bender, all original paint. He actually decided to sell it just because the AC went out, lol. I tore the AC out of my Z many years ago, so it's not a big deal to me, but I would like to get around to fixing it. ...having used the search bar a bit, it seems the compressor may be at fault here...

Honestly I don't have any mod aspirations right now. I love that it's stock, and I'm going to leave it that way. I have my speed fix from my Z, and even more so from my bikes. ...I actually race motorcycles, and after that pretty much everything seems slow. The tires on it are pretty crappy, which obviously bothers a guy like me, so I might replace them with a whole wheelset that sits on the car better than the stockers do, but I will definitely hang on to them so I can keep it all original. This one is just for getting me back and forth from work (the hospital), and judging from my driving experience with it so far, it's gonna be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Congrats! We love 100% stock cars

How many miles on it? If you don't mind me asking.
    Coming up on 100k. Pretty much all highway miles, he lived a bit outside of the city and drove it in to work every day. I've known the guy for a decade, and it's comforting to know how OCD he is about everything. All fluids were changed right on schedule and everything stamped. I'm kind of the opposite, I do all my own work, but still, nice to know it has been well taken care of. I could tell he was very sad to see it go.

Try to do a recharge yourself - it's not highly recommended, but it may work. It'll probably only work for about a week.

If it doesn't work from this, you'll need to do heavier diagnosis (compressor is shot, etc.)

Otherwise, pick up an A/C o-ring kit for $10 from napa. Go around to all the fittings, and replace the o-rings (this is ridiculously easy on a subaru). Take it to someone with manifold gauges and a vacuum pump, get it filled. Hopefully, that'll solve it for good.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I feel kind of ridiculous asking about an AC, because I'm a performance guy, but that also means the AC unit is about the only part of my cars I haven't worked on. Is there any way to diagnose whether or not it's the compressor right off the bat? ...or is replacing it the only way to find out?

odds are you just have a leak. If you open a can of freon to the low side while the car is running with the ac on, it should fill it back up to the point where it works, and you'll have a/c again for a bit (until it all leaks out again). If that doesn't work, it's most likely not a leak, and probably the compressor (easiest fix there is to start replacing things, although there are diagnostics to be done).

The first thing you should do it head down to kmart or whatnot and pick up one of those home recharge things with a can of freon (I'd lend you mine if you were close), hook it to the low side, follow the directions, and with any luck you'll see the compressor clutch kick on. At that point, stop refilling, since it's really not good to refill a leaking system, run the a/c for a bit (maybe a week?) until it stops working again, then release whatever is still left in the system, undo each joint one by one (there are, iirc, 2 on the condenser, 2 on the compressor, and a pair of them back by the firewall), replace the o-ring, put it back. Then bring it to someone who can do A/C work - most companies will charge a lot for this, but I got mine done as a favor by my neighbor who does home HVAC, they'll most likely fill it full of nitrogen to leak test (although at that point you really should be leak-free), then pull it down to a vacuum and recharge from the high side.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. P View Post
    Wow that's great to hear. He gave it to me stupid cheap too, I almost felt bad. The dealer offered him more by a couple thousand... It's never been in any collision, not even a fender bender, all original paint. He actually decided to sell it just because the AC went out, lol. I tore the AC out of my Z many years ago, so it's not a big deal to me, but I would like to get around to fixing it. ...having used the search bar a bit, it seems the compressor may be at fault here...

Honestly I don't have any mod aspirations right now. I love that it's stock, and I'm going to leave it that way. I have my speed fix from my Z, and even more so from my bikes. ...I actually race motorcycles, and after that pretty much everything seems slow. The tires on it are pretty crappy, which obviously bothers a guy like me, so I might replace them with a whole wheelset that sits on the car better than the stockers do, but I will definitely hang on to them so I can keep it all original. This one is just for getting me back and forth from work (the hospital), and judging from my driving experience with it so far, it's gonna be a good one.
    Congrats! I love that color. Although I have a daily, I always wanted a WRX wagon. And I agree with you on the mods thing, I have a highly modded Mustang Cobra for that (pick of car below). I'm keeping the WRX stock. I love it exactly how it is. Welcome to the WRX world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBS-Cobra1-xsmall.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	106302

Welcome Dr. P! WRB is the best color

Question: Are you a doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
    Congrats! I love that color. Although I have a daily, I always wanted a WRX wagon. And I agree with you on the mods thing, I have a highly modded Mustang Cobra for that (pick of car below). I'm keeping the WRX stock. I love it exactly how it is. Welcome to the WRX world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBS-Cobra1-xsmall.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	106302
    That's a nice looking snake. I worked my way through college at a car shop, and my boss had a couple of brand new 03 Cobras, so of course I ended up working on those a lot.

I will try the little AC home charge and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Welcome Dr. P! WRB is the best color

Question: Are you a doctor?
    A young one. I still have a couple years of training left, I'm doing surgery. I don't have the time to work on these things that I used to, and I'm very paranoid about smashing a finger now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast