'New' Bone Stock 03 WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 'New' Bone Stock 03 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Welcome and congrats! Landing a bone stock bugeye is a feat that will inspire jealousy around here...

Welcome and congrats! Landing a bone stock bugeye is a feat that will inspire jealousy around here
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pumped in a can of AC stuff, I could actually hear a hissing from somewhere near the compressor as I put it in, and the pressure gauge would fall back very quickly. Having said that, the compressor also never kicked on.
    Thoughts?

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, it definitely sounds like you've got a leak, you can try to run the AC normally just to see if the compressor clutch kicks in. It sits right on top of the engine, so it's an easy check. I'd follow poly_poly_man's advice about replacing the o-rings.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

yeah, it sounds like a MAJOR leak from what you said - ii that case, you'd never be able to get enough refrigerant in to let the clutch kick on.

Replace the o-rings (it costs $10), and try again - if you get that hissing again, then you'll need a new compressor, otherwise, don't fill it all the way off the low side, get someone to do a proper recharge and you're good.

EDIT: also check areas like the schrader valves, because these can sometimes leak. In fact, if the o-rings don't help, just get it pressure-tested.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    yeah, it sounds like a MAJOR leak from what you said - ii that case, you'd never be able to get enough refrigerant in to let the clutch kick on.

Replace the o-rings (it costs $10), and try again - if you get that hissing again, then you'll need a new compressor, otherwise, don't fill it all the way off the low side, get someone to do a proper recharge and you're good.

EDIT: also check areas like the schrader valves, because these can sometimes leak. In fact, if the o-rings don't help, just get it pressure-tested.
    I found the o ring at fault (I think) So I am going to try and find a replacement now...

Wow, I have to say that my expectations for this project were low, but I popped a new O ring in and sprayed the half of the AC bottle I had left in there, and what do you know, it's blowing cool (not COLD) air. I guess I just need to take it somewhere to have the AC system charged back up now. I'm going to keep checking the pressure, also, to make sure that it's not still slowly losing charge before I pay to have it recharged.
    Thanks so much guys!
    ...now for some better tires, and I'll be set. Anyone use the Kumho Ecsta LE Sports? ...are those the new version of the old MX's? I loved the MX's, but I've been running nothing but R compounds on my other car for the past few years, so I've been out of the game... so to speak.

Recommendations: i don't know if you were somehow able to find a single a/c o-ring, but if you didn't get a whole kit, get one, it's seriously $10.

Replace all the o-rings - odds are more than one have slight leaks (I think I determined that three of mine were bad, 1 very obvious, the rest very slight). A good shop will pressure test before they do the recharge, so no wasted money.

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I bought a whole kit, so I have plenty extra. According to my friend, the AC just went out suddenly a few days ago, which would be explained by the massive leak I just fixed, but I may replace the others anyways. If I just recharge the system with a little AC pro unit dealio will it blow cold air? ...or only if I go have it charged up professionally? Like I said, it is blowing cool air now, but I only had enough left in my can to charge it up to ~half pressure.

you might be able to get away with it, but it's not the best for the system, and it certainly won't be working up to spec.

Cool, figured. I'll do it right. Enough of that, I just got pwned by the DMV for a new tag, taxes, and title. Man, the government will get you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12