My new 2012 WRX!!!!

This is a discussion on My new 2012 WRX!!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; They told me black is a pretty rare color on the east coast! Car runs great and I couldn't be ...

My new 2012 WRX!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9ef7ca79.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	106206

They told me black is a pretty rare color on the east coast!
    Car runs great and I couldn't be happier, only question I have
    is the dealer told me the oil is good for 7500, but I've also
    heard 3k. and then every 7.5k after that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Name:	a04ded89.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	106207

Nice! I'd love a black car, but it's just too hot here in Southern California. After having a silver car previously, my DGM gets HOT! And the A/C doesn't get as cold as my old Ford Focus either I hope you live somewhere further north.

With regards to the oil changes, just do whatever your dealer tells you as they're the ones who get to approve any warranty claims. I just passed 1000 miles and went to the local drive through oil changer place. Figured I'd get some of the crap out of the engine before I pushed it over 4K rpm. They informed me that manufacturers now put additives in the oil from the factory to help running-in, and recommended that I don't change it until 3700 miles. A call to my dealer confirmed this. But, I was there - with OEM oil filter in hand - so I just had it done. I call BS. If the additives were so important, why wouldn't we be instructed to put them in with every oil change?

Name:	563286_466485576713099_1650383435_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	106208

well the dealer told me 3k, but the owners mannual says 7500....lol, so i cant go wrong doing them sooner rather then later?

Well, if you look at the small print, they recommend changing the oil every 3750 miles "When the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions". But that includes driving short distances, driving on rough roads, driving in dusty conditions, driving in cold weather, living in coastal areas, living in inland areas, living in a cave, breathing when in your vehicle, looking at your vehicle, etc. So it seems like they have lots of escape clauses if you choose not to change the oil and filter every 3750 miles.

I'm splitting the difference and doing oil changes at 4k. I'll be sure to monitor the levels and the color often as well...

The black looks really nice though! Nice choice.

welcome. congrats on the new wheels

I Support ClubWRX
    On any vehicle I have ever owned, I went 3-3.5k between oil changes, whether be synthetic or not. yea manual says 7500k, service department at dealership says 3700k screw that, I'm a spirited driver myself, and honestly, everyone knows you can't change your oil too often. Yes it may be a pricey approach, but the best way to keep that engine/any engine long lasting and performance wealthy is fresh, clean oil. Or, you can take this approach if your a mechanical type...at 3-3.5k miles, just change the oil yourself, drain old, put in new. at service point, let them change the oil, filter, top off fluids, lube..etc. all that other good stuff they do when you get a full service. its a cheaper route, may spend 15-20 bux on oil between service and your keeping clean oil in the engine without paying double at the dealership/service center. just my opinion.

EDIT: but for warranty concerns, its best to always have dealership do all work, that way they cant blame you for anything "IF" you happen to have any problems with the vehicle. Im under waranty and i have the dealership service my car every 3-3.5 k also congrats on the buy, and welcome to the club.
    Last edited by SWPSubie; 06-26-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWPSubie View Post
    ...may spend 15-20 bux on oil between service...
    Where are you buying your oil?? I can't find 5 quarts of synthetic for less than about $45ish.

I'm originally from Britain and we don't have the same oil changing culture as here in the US. I was selling cars in 2002 (not performance cars) and the service intervals (including oil changes) were every 2 years or 20k miles. That was all that was needed for the warranty to be valid. The expense of changing oil every 3750 miles takes a bit of getting used to!

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Where are you buying your oil?? I can't find 5 quarts of synthetic for less than about $45ish.

I'm originally from Britain and we don't have the same oil changing culture as here in the US. I was selling cars in 2002 (not performance cars) and the service intervals (including oil changes) were every 2 years or 20k miles. That was all that was needed for the warranty to be valid. The expense of changing oil every 3750 miles takes a bit of getting used to!
    Wow. That's a long time. I wonder how many cars failed MOT! (j/k I've been watching too much Wheeler Dealers)

Walmart.com: Valvoline SynPower 5W30 Motor Oil, 5-Quart: Automotive

Depending on the oil you can get 5qts from about $20-$40 at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by harhar View Post
    Wow. That's a long time. I wonder how many cars failed MOT! (j/k I've been watching too much Wheeler Dealers)

Walmart.com: Valvoline SynPower 5W30 Motor Oil, 5-Quart: Automotive

Depending on the oil you can get 5qts from about $20-$40 at Walmart.

Wow, thanks. That's definitely the cheapest price I've seen.

Yeah, I wonder how many oil leaks are caused by the long service intervals...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post

Well i can get good synthetic for under 7$ a quart depends on where purchased. i also get a discount at a local store, i never figured that in..so yea my math was a lil off. but still for about 30-35 bux you can change your own oil, which is cheaper than the 70-100$ premium at dealerships between changes that you get AT the dealership. just talking about an easy way to keep your engine oil new without taking it to be done at a dealership so often wich is pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by SWPSubie View Post
    Well i can get good synthetic for under 7$ a quart depends on where purchased. i also get a discount at a local store, i never figured that in..so yea my math was a lil off. but still for about 30-35 bux you can change your own oil, which is cheaper than the 70-100$ premium at dealerships between changes that you get AT the dealership. just talking about an easy way to keep your engine oil new without taking it to be done at a dealership so often wich is pricey.
    Sorry, I didn't mean that I was disagreeing with your suggestion, I was just surprised by the price, that's all. It's actually a pretty good idea if you don't mind/have time to change your own oil.