clicking when turning?

This is a discussion on clicking when turning? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just put some new wheels on. I got new lugs for the tapered holes. But im getting a click when ...

clicking when turning?

Just put some new wheels on. I got new lugs for the tapered holes. But im getting a click when i turn hard. Not sure whats going on. I was going to wait to have it check out until I get new tires but that has been set back due to lack of money... so my question is should I get it checked out or is it not a big deal? also has anyone else had this problem? I dont want it to get worse if something serious is wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Suspect incorrect lug nuts (loose wheel), incorrect wheel torque (loose wheel), cross threaded lug nut(s) (loose wheel), debris on mating surfaces and/or elsewhere including brakes/steering/suspension, axle, tie rod. Find out which and correct IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

well ****. i just got rays lugs and if i cross threaded those im doing to probably kill myself. so thanks for the tip

How loud is the clicking? Does it only happen when going slow? Or is the road/car noise too loud when going fast so you don't know if it's happening? Does it happen turning in both directions? Is it only at full lock, or can you hear it short of full lock? Does it get any louder the closer to full lock you get? What wheels did you get in particular what size are they?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Alright, they are OZ racing ultraleggara 18x8.5. Ive only heard the noise when turning slow, it may happen but like you said i cant hear it. It will just pop once. happens when going both ways. Its definitely not full lock, Ive learned to never turn a car that hard. Id say it does get louder the closer i get.

Do you, by chance have Rally Armor mudflaps on your car(it kinda looks like it from your avatar)? If so, could it be possible that the tire tread rubbing the mudflaps? The reason that I ask this is because the same thing happens on my truck(I know it is a different beast, but bear with me on the relevance). I have an '05 Chevy Colorado Z71 which comes from the factory with 15" wheels. The previous owner upsized the wheels to 17", but didn't get the proper sized tires to go with it. Either way, at slow speeds and while turning sharply, there is this ticking, grinding sound that comes from the inboard wheel well(driver or passenger side depending on the direction of travel). Come to find out, the tires rub on the OEM mudflaps. Just a thought considering that your wheels are 1 size larger in diameter and 1/2" wider than the OEM wheels.

-Patrick

I Support ClubWRX
    Good thinking. Also, today I did roadside surgery on a fender liner on a Scion that lost a fastener and would hit the tyre as a result, ticking until it shredded itself. Check for physical contact.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

See thats exactly what i was thinking. mustve slipped my mind when i first wrote this. It started after that and maybe i just noticed it more after the new wheels because of the larger size. Im gunna have to do some surgery. Thanks dudes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also, the last time I got ticking up front, a HUGE nail was to blame. Check for flats etc.

it just scares me because it sounds like metal, unless its the part holding on the screw and flap. It did start when i put those puppies on. Ill check it out more but i am pretty sure that you are correct.

I'd normally say check your CV joints first since that's atypical signs of a bad CV joint, but usually you would've noticed something before you swapped the wheels. However, going up to a different wheel that's stressing the suspension/drivetrain differently could suddenly exacerbate a bad CV joint and expose the problem. But then your car looks pretty new so your CV joints should be fine. That would lead me to believe it's a simple mechanical issue with something rubbing/
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

it just scares me because it sounds like metal, unless its the part holding on the screw and flap. It did start when i put those puppies on. Ill check it out more but i am pretty sure that you are correct.

Thanks for the help guys. much appreciated.

You mentioned that "new wheels" were installed. I noticed that the dimensions are 18 X 8.5 and probably a 5X100 pattern.

Well, I have an 04 with the same size wheels, running a 245 series tire (i think). The original owner was running this size wheel when purchased. I also feel a loud banging when turning at low speeds, could be left or right, doesn't matter.

Changed the CV Joints, and it still happens...

So methinks your problem is increased wheel size. An associate at a tire performance shop said that could be fixed if the dealer or someone you know can reprogram the ECU (brain) to accommodate the change in wheel size. Because, everything is tuned to run the stock wheel size (16X7) or something like that. I don't know if he is right but, I have the same problem.

I honesty think its the increased wheel size...
    Looking for a smaller wheel setup now and will test this idea.
    B
    G
    Z

i dont think it's be a lose wheel ulnlessyou can feel it in your steering wheel too. but youd feel it while driving too im sure. if its while youre turning only it could just be a bad cv boot. but by the time youre already hearing it, the damage is done. you can get away for a while with a torn boot until the popping starts