My first Subaru...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My first Subaru... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, I've been reading a couple forums for months now and, being part of the car world for the past ...

My first Subaru...

So, I've been reading a couple forums for months now and, being part of the car world for the past 10 years, I've heard a lot about the transmissions not being so great. It makes sense that there is more strain because it's AWD, but I'm honestly starting to get a little worried now that the car could be here within the next week. I've had two manual cars, a '95 Miata and a '06 Scion tC, and never had any clutch/transmission problems, but was wondering if there is still going to be a large learning curve or not because of the AWD... I obviously just really don't want to mess up the trans.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you are hard on the transmission it is going to be hard on you. Clutch dumps are no good. Spirited driving and you'll be fine.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

there really shouldnt be a learning curve. For regular driving purposes it will react like other drivetrains.
    - Nicky -
    2006 WRX Steel Gray
    23:4--3:6--27:1

I've always been easy on my cars, I baby them to death. Not going to lie and say I never went to the track a few times with the tC, but I'm particularly worried about doing that with this car...
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

Plenty of people go to the track. Just be careful and dont launch the car. Slipping the clutch should be fine.
    - Nicky -
    2006 WRX Steel Gray
    23:4--3:6--27:1

Just make sure you change the fluid. Some recommend every 25k miles. I use gm synchromesh friction modified. I havn't had a problem but I only do spirited driving. No track.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

You'll be fine as long as you're not dumping clutches and grinding gears. If you drive normally, spiritedly at times, you'll be fine. Even if you hit a track here and there, it should be fine. It's when you start adding engine mods to increase power significantly, that you start to get into a more dangerous area, but that also happens with any transmission in any kind of car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Only engine mod that I REALLY want is the Cobb AP and Intake, I'd be happy after that. I've never had a turbo, and have always liked that woosh sound. Probably gonna wait until the warranty is out though
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    Only engine mod that I REALLY want is the Cobb AP and Intake, I'd be happy after that. I've never had a turbo, and have always liked that woosh sound. Probably gonna wait until the warranty is out though
    Are you going to as soon as you get yours? Those are the same mods I want to do at first but I'm currently on the fence because of warranty and am wondering if I should just drive it stock for 3 years. I plan on only adding a cat-back.

With the AP and intake, you'll have to change the intake back to stock every time you re-map the ECU to stock settings. This is the main reason why I'm hesitant.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung_Wei_Lo View Post
    Are you going to as soon as you get yours? Those are the same mods I want to do at first but I'm currently on the fence because of warranty and am wondering if I should just drive it stock for 3 years. I plan on only adding a cat-back.

With the AP and intake, you'll have to change the intake back to stock every time you re-map the ECU to stock settings. This is the main reason why I'm hesitant.
    Honestly, that shouldn't happen often at all. It doesn't take long to put it back either.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    Famous last words. That's what everyone of us on this site have said

Truth be told...how often are you going to flash back to stock? Once you're stage 1, there's no reason not to really. I had an AP for almost 3 years back on my first STI...plugged it in and used it a total of 4 times: First got it for Stage 1, Then Stage 2, Then a protune, then back to stock when I sold the car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    =
    Truth be told...how often are you going to flash back to stock? Once you're stage 1, there's no reason not to really. I had an AP for almost 3 years back on my first STI...plugged it in and used it a total of 4 times: First got it for Stage 1, Then Stage 2, Then a protune, then back to stock when I sold the car.
    I have to depend on the dealer to do a lot of maintenance work though. I have no garage and also minimal skills.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have to depend on the dealer to do a lot of maintenance work though. I have no garage and also minimal skills.
    What maintenance? Oil changes? They won't read your ECU each time you take it for an oil change. They have better things to do.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    What maintenance? Oil changes? They won't read your ECU each time you take it for an oil change. They have better things to do.
    \

I thought the intake alone was enough for them to question.

Look, not trying to argue. I'm just not ready to add those mods lets just leave it at that.

Proud new owner of 2006 Subaru WRX. First Subaru ever owned and I love it, bought it with everything changed upgraded turbo, intercooler, and intake. Everthing COBB tuned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.