tempted to tune
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on tempted to tune within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have had my 2012 wrx for about a month. I really want to start moding but everything I want ...

tempted to tune

I have had my 2012 wrx for about a month. I really want to start moding but everything I want to do requires a tune. I really don't want to void my warranty but I also don't want to wait 5 years. How safe is a stage 2 setup have there been any horror stories.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm sure there are always horror stories. When I get mine, I REALLY want to put a Cobb Intake and AP, but I'd be terrified that something would happen to the engine and they would reject my request saying I voided the warranty. That is only a Stage 1, the more you do to the engine, the more likely SoA would say no to a fix I'd imagine. Guessing you bought the extended warranty too if you got 5 years, I'm pretty sure it's usually 3 years 36000 miles, so just doesn't seem to make much sense to pay extra for the extension and then pretty much throw it away in a month.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

I Support ClubWRX
    Whenever you hear people say "Nine times out of ten it works out great" you should consider whether you can afford to be that tenth time. Your call.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    I'm sure there are always horror stories. When I get mine, I REALLY want to put a Cobb Intake and AP, but I'd be terrified that something would happen to the engine and they would reject my request saying I voided the warranty. That is only a Stage 1, the more you do to the engine, the more likely SoA would say no to a fix I'd imagine. Guessing you bought the extended warranty too if you got 5 years, I'm pretty sure it's usually 3 years 36000 miles, so just doesn't seem to make much sense to pay extra for the extension and then pretty much throw it away in a month.

Powertrain is 5 years.. I don't know maybe I can wait 2 or just drive a lot lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are worried about wasting your extended warranty you should cancel it, get that money back and use it for modding. If you put away a $100 a month for awhile you should be able to cover a good amount of things that could go bad which you'd have to pay out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    If you are worried about wasting your extended warranty you should cancel it, get that money back and use it for modding. If you put away a $100 a month for awhile you should be able to cover a good amount of things that could go bad which you'd have to pay out of pocket.
    I don't have an extended warranty Subaru's powertrain is 5 years the whole car is warrantied for 3... Is the Cobb acces port detectable buy Subaru?

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't owned my WRX for even a month yet but I can see why you want to tune it. I come the off-road world where tuning is a small compared to suspension and BIG tires. Modding is something that bites and doesn't let go. You have to be prepared for things to break and expect them not to be repaired under warranty. If you can't take the risk of that then don't mess with factory spec's. And please remember just because some "know it all" on the intertubes says it works doesn't mean you should do it.

The whole debate about the Cobb AP detection seems 50% at best... I haven't even begun to do my searching on that issue yet but I've seen enough thread titles to tell me people have been screwed over. Like I said above, save up some cash so you can pay for the repair bill or learn how to repair things yourself. DIY projects are great money savers and you get to add tools to your workbench!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    ... Modding is something that bites and doesn't let go...
    If you start there is always going to be just one more part and then I'm done...just one more part and then I'm done...just one more part and then I'm done...
    2010 WRB WRX wagon

Once you flash SOA will know!!! Even if you flash back. I have a horror story with 09 wrx with the engine failures. I have had at stage one for about a year and no problems. Then I did the down pipe catback with a protune and three weeks later spun a rod barring. I did not put back to stock and brought to the dealer. Lets just say I will be paying some of the cost for the new long block. But now I will be on my own with any issues from here on out. I will keep the tune and stage two set up waiting for the new motor. If something happens I will go big with a re-build or go home and learned my lesson.*****you only live once**good luck***D
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

Quote Originally Posted by dolson1120 View Post
    Once you flash SOA will know!!! Even if you flash back. I have a horror story with 09 wrx with the engine failures. I have had at stage one for about a year and no problems. Then I did the down pipe catback with a protune and three weeks later spun a rod barring. I did not put back to stock and brought to the dealer. Lets just say I will be paying some of the cost for the new long block. But now I will be on my own with any issues from here on out. I will keep the tune and stage two set up waiting for the new motor. If something happens I will go big with a re-build or go home and learned my lesson.*****you only live once**good luck***D
    How do you know SOA will know even if you flash it back? You said you got caught because you didn't flash it back to stock.

I'm still looking for the definitive answer as to whether SOA can find out the history if you flash it back to stock. This site is awesome but when looking for answers to questions there are just too many guesses, assumptions and conflicting information. Even for just an inquiry to an oil change process I got different answers.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Whenever you hear people say "Nine times out of ten it works out great" you should consider whether you can afford to be that tenth time. Your call.
    This! I agree. But does everyone think like that... Nope unfortunately not.

Why not go Stage 1 for a while?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Why not go Stage 1 for a while?
    YES! Because RACECAR!

If you flash back to stock it puts the correct Map back on but it leaves a code on the ECU that it has been changed. They can tell how many times it has been changed as well. That is why I was up front about everything when I brought it to the dealers. In the long run a New ecu might be the way to go and use it for the mods,tune ,etc and keep the oem ecu just incase. This might throw a flag up but there is no way around it that I know of.
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

Why not go Stage 1 for a while?[/QUOTE]

That is most likely what I will do. Is Perrin a good company? I was thinking about getting their stage one kit and than maybe adding there CBE down the road?

The AccessPORT page from RallySportDirect's website:

COBB Tuning AccessPORT w/ Proto Tuning Tool Holder Subaru 2.5L Turbo (inc. 2008-2012 WRX / STI / 2007-2011 Legacy GT) at RallySportDirect.com

....and a comment further down the page:

"after experiencing the difference I don't know why anyone would drive on the stock tune. I'm not worried about voiding warranty either - I can reflash the stock tune if I need Subaru warranty support and the Cobb tuner will replace the original settings INCLUDING the ECU flash counter (very sneaky), so the factory won't know the car was ever tuned"

Does anyone KNOW that to be true?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast