tempted to tune - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on tempted to tune within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Email Cobb and ask them directly....

I Support ClubWRX
    Email Cobb and ask them directly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Email Cobb and ask them directly.
    Then post the answer here

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes yes seconded, post it here please!

It's Cobb's device and people are paying good money for it. They should support it and they should be able to emphatically, definitively answer a direct question.

Please ask them and please post the answer.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ECU flashing has been around for a long time. It absolutely amazes me that so many people have wondered if Subaru can detect a modified ECU flash when flashed back to stock, but still no one knows to this day. Reading through all the warranty denial threads it's amazing that there isn't one story that proves Subaru detected an ECU flash. Either..

- Subaru can, and has kept it a tight secret. This would be useful as an indication that the reps should look for evidence of other modifications as grounds for warranty denial.. or

- Subaru can, but not well enough to legally use it as grounds for warranty denial.. or

- Subaru can't.

My assumption is #3 depending on the flashing method used. Properly written software code should be able to save the original ECU data, and revert it back perfectly to avoid detection.
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    A tech has stated emphatically that they can detect. Be that as it may, I feel Cobb owe it to their customers to respond directly yes/no, and nothing less than yes/no. I'd be interested in their answer.

Lol, these are the kind of conversations that are keeping me from getting my stage 1. I REALLY want to get an intake for that incredible woosh sound, but not enough to kill my warranty
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

I Support ClubWRX
    Under the "buy the vendor not just the part" philosophy that I frankly hold as true, one would/should/could expect Cobb to address the concern whether checksums are detectable or not. It will be helpful to their potential clients in my view.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    Lol, these are the kind of conversations that are keeping me from getting my stage 1. I REALLY want to get an intake for that incredible woosh sound, but not enough to kill my warranty
    Recently after talking to some experienced subaru owners, we talked about intakes. I was shown a 08 sti stock filter box, and noticed at the bottom of the filter box there is a hole for a silencer. ended up swapping filter box's and left the silencer off. Know i get air from the bottom of the filter box and the front on the car. Know if you don't have a 08 sti stock filter box you can easily take off your intake and cut a hole in the bottom of the box. '12's have the same port for the silencer but its just plastic. they never opened it. Now, you get air from the front of the car, and the bottom of the air box. By the way this is all BEFORE the filter. There is NO unfiltered or unmetered air. your simply suppling more air to the filter. After changing intakes i now can hear my bov and my turbo spool. i don't have pics right know but if this is to confusing for people i can elaborate or post pics.

^^

? So the hole is there on the 2012 but you have to cut it out?

I Support ClubWRX
    .....yeah. haha picture a cup at the bottom of your air box. cut the bottom of your 'cup' and you just supplied your engine more air.

Quote Originally Posted by free2be4ever7 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Recently after talking to some experienced subaru owners, we talked about intakes. I was shown a 08 sti stock filter box, and noticed at the bottom of the filter box there is a hole for a silencer. ended up swapping filter box's and left the silencer off. Know i get air from the bottom of the filter box and the front on the car. Know if you don't have a 08 sti stock filter box you can easily take off your intake and cut a hole in the bottom of the box. '12's have the same port for the silencer but its just plastic. they never opened it. Now, you get air from the front of the car, and the bottom of the air box. By the way this is all BEFORE the filter. There is NO unfiltered or unmetered air. your simply suppling more air to the filter. After changing intakes i now can hear my bov and my turbo spool. i don't have pics right know but if this is to confusing for people i can elaborate or post pics.
    And this wouldn't hurt the engine at all? I guess I don't know how it could, but I usually think things are engineered in certain reasons for a purpose. What about your warranty?
    I also noticed you're in the chicago burbs, which one if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Hoffman Estates.
    Last edited by BPanda; 06-18-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

Quote Originally Posted by free2be4ever7 View Post
    .....yeah. haha picture a cup at the bottom of your air box. cut the bottom of your 'cup' and you just supplied your engine more air.

Sweet. Deff have to get that done ASAP

I Support ClubWRX
    Doing this mod correctly could not hurt your engine in any way. Your literally allowing the engine to grab more filtered air. A dealership did not inform me of this mod and there is no possible way this could lead to an engine failure. I'll post pics of the stock air box to show you guys. I'm in mokena, just east of joliet.

Gotcha, definitely post some pics and if you have some time, take a video, I'm curious how much you can actually hear it.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

I Support ClubWRX
    Here you can see the 'cup' at the bottom of the box, which is connected to the before filter part of the box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	105979

This picture you can see the way the box was engineered was to get air from that port only, which comes from the front of the engine, above the grill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340076303.986543.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	105980

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast