Car and Driver Steps for More Power?

This is a discussion on Car and Driver Steps for More Power? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, I was just searching around and found this... I started reading through it and it said that the K&N ...

Car and Driver Steps for More Power?

So, I was just searching around and found this... I started reading through it and it said that the K&N Typhoon Intake Kit wouldn't void warranty. Oddly, when they said they installed it, they never mentioned a retune. You HAVE TO retune don't you? I'd figure any retune would put you on a list for warranty void... And 17 whp? That doesn't sound right either, but I guess I haven't done a ton of research in gains.
    Here's the article...
    Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX – Feature – Car and Driver
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I gathered over the years lurking: tune or go boom.

I personally like the Cobb intake for the sound, but would get an AP and download the intake map to be safe.

I Support ClubWRX
    That Car and Driver is still read outside dentist waiting rooms, let alone that it's still in print, is amazing in and of itself and frankly mystifies me.

Please don't cause my mind to explode by lending them any credence. Let's just all stand in awe of their existence despite the calendar reading 2012.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you read the whole article? They found that the exhaust and intake alone only gave them an extra 11hp over stock, despite the manufacturer's claims of 17hp and 21 lb-ft torque for the intake, and and extra 10 lb-ft for the catback.

If you read through the whole article, you'd see they eventually got a full Cobb tune and downpipe, and ended up with an extra 57hp and 68 lb-ft torque, basically a good Stg II tune.

Manufacturer's can claim whatever pie-in-the-sky horsepower figures they want to, but you need a tune to properly calibrate the engine management to the new parts.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That Car and Driver is still read outside dentist waiting rooms, let alone that it's still in print, is amazing in and of itself and frankly mystifies me.

Please don't cause my mind to explode by lending them any credence. Let's just all stand in awe of their existence despite the calendar reading 2012.
    I like reading Car and Driver on my trans-continental flights. I take articles like this with a boulder of salt, but their road tests are interesting enough for me.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't get through it. They sent us free magazines at work for a long time. Recycling bin straight off. No article got to the point within, say, a paragraph; rather they opened with prosaic nonsense. They're not alone; the local newspapers are also just as bad.

I can't imagine what journalism students learn for four years but I also can't fathom how it'd have anything to do with opening car test articles by rambling or waxing poetic (I'm being lenient with "poetic").

So I give up. They were world class ironically when their local auto industry was among the worst in the world: in the 70s. It's been a while.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

"The extra airflow on both ends was apparently too much for the factory ECU to cope with, and it compensated by cutting power right when the turbo reached maximum boost. Either the intake or exhaust works fine alone, but ECU modifications are required to get them to work in tandem. "

Yea it clearly says a retune is needed.

"It also has preset engine maps for various states of tune, but none that accounts for an aftermarket intake. "

And I'm guessing this article was written before Cobb put out maps that account for aftermarket intakes?