considering an '06 sti

This is a discussion on considering an '06 sti within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi there, I am looking at a 2006 sti with 66k on it. I was wondering if there's anything about ...

considering an '06 sti

Hi there, I am looking at a 2006 sti with 66k on it. I was wondering if there's anything about that model i should know about before diving in. Its my understanding that Subarus are really reliable, but I've also heard the engines don't last to long squeezing so much power from a small package. I really just want to avoid rebuilding it a year after buying.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is the STI you're looking at modded? If so what mods?

Correction its an 05, and it looks like its not an sti but has an sti intercooler. The details in the ad are vague. I've asked for more.is this the 2.0 or 2.5?

I Support ClubWRX
    05 STI is 2.5
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

If its an 05 Wrx its a 2.0l, the sti is a 2.5l. I have an 02 Wrx with mods, I absolutely love and have no issues at all with it. My experience with my bugeye for the past 4 years and 124,000 miles I have had it have been the best. Just keep up on the maintenance and don't buy something that has been beat on...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Theres the engine bay if that helps sti or just wrx?
    Any way to tell if it has been beat on ?
    Is it easy enough to get to the spark plug and do a compression test ? I always prefer to before buying, also what should the psi be ?

As far as maintenance, I'm known for being pretty OCD about that, but what's done is done, such is buying a used car.

One more Q, is road noise an issue? I think I red something about non- framed windows, what's that?
    I'm currently driving an older Lincoln, so I am a tiny bit spoiled in the road noise department I think, but I do not mind putting some sound barrier under the carpet if that is known to work.
    thanks for all your help people.
    Last edited by calisonic; 06-11-2012 at 03:31 AM.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by calisonic View Post

Theres the engine bay if that helps sti or just wrx?
    Any way to tell if it has been beat on ?
    Is it easy enough to get to the spark plug and do a compression test ? I always prefer to before buying, also what should the psi be ?

As far as maintenance, I'm known for being pretty OCD about that, but what's done is done, such is buying a used car.

One more Q, is road noise an issue? I think I red something about non- framed windows, what's that?
    I'm currently driving an older Lincoln, so I am a tiny bit spoiled in the road noise department I think, but I do not mind putting some sound barrier under the carpet if that is known to work.
    thanks for all your help people.
    Your asking a lot of subjective questions. Why are you considering an STI or WRX? That's what I want to know.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Because they are very well performing cars in a straight line and especially around corners, I have seen Subaru's with over 300k miles on them and they look nice to boot. I am currently driving a bit of a boat, but a comfortable and reliable one I just don't want to sacrifice too much in the noise department, but it the windows aren't too noisy ,that should be solvable by something like dynamat under the carpet.

It appears to be a WRX with an STI intercooler. It also looks like theyy took out the air duct
    - Nicky -
    2006 WRX Steel Gray
    23:4--3:6--27:1

I Support ClubWRX
    Your namesake radiators fail routinely so no offense but I switched brands after two.

Owners are another very common failure, as are gearboxes.

The paint is shameful.

The boost solenoid cover is missing; that plus the IC leads me to suspect modifications removed for sale.

Road noise is embarrassing.

The plugs are a pain to access.

If there are no receipts assume no maintenance.

See the how to buy sticky threads in the purchasing forum.

If there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The boost solenoid cover is missing; that plus the IC leads me to suspect modifications removed for sale.

If there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
    +1
    There is no logical reason why someone would've put an STI ic on a bone stock wrx. It was probably modded and then parts were switched back to stock to sell it. I would walk away from that car.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Makes sense, thank you guys, if anyone is interested it's in Jacksonville FL for $13k

No problem, good luck with your search!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"