Looking at an STI for my next purchase

This is a discussion on Looking at an STI for my next purchase within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I have been looking at different Subarus for a couple months now. I'm down with what Subaru is ...

I Support ClubWRX

Looking at an STI for my next purchase

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at different Subarus for a couple months now. I'm down with what Subaru is all about and would like to get into one. I originally was looking at the Outback, until I drove a used STI.

Here's the quick story - I currently have a Prius and a Jeep Wrangler. I'm thinking of selling the Jeep to pay off some debt, and trading the Prius because without the Jeep, my driving experience will become very dull. The STI seems to be a natural replacement because it is a driving thrill and it also is a car I can use in the winter (with the right tires of course) thanks to all-wheel drive.

Here's some questions I have for those that want to help me out. I have been going through threads already but will probably be asking some of those newbie questions that have been asked before.

1. There is not an STI to be had on a lot in the state. Therefore, I'm wondering what is involved with ordering one at my local dealer? Is there a fee to do this? Will the dealer still make a deal on the car? Do I have to take the car when it comes in if for some reason I don't want it?

2. Do dealers sell these below sticker, and if so, what kind of money off can a person get? I read a thread on here from a salesman in Jersey that is selling them to members for $500 under invoice. That seems not possible around here since there are none as it is. I would expect they could get a premium price. Perhaps going to Jersey is a fiscally good choice?

3. Seems to be that a body change is not happening until 2014, but I've not seen any info on whether the new engine is going in the 2013 or not. Any news on that?

4. I am at a point in my life where I have figured out that I get tired of cars and trade fairly quickly. More honestly, I just like a lot of different cars and want to own them. I'm not opposed to leasing. But, in case I decide to keep this car to 4 or 5 years and 100K miles, is there anything I should know about the engine and what I've heard about this "ring problem"? I don't plan to be do any tuning or modification of the engine.

Thanks everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The 2013's are about to come out. That's why there aren't any 2012's anywhere. If you can hold off a few months, I would.

The selling price is probably very regional, and I'm not sure how prices are in indiana.

Last mention is that the 2013 will be identical to the 2012 because as you said there may be a body change in 2014, as well, all the focus is on the BRZ.

The ring issues were a long time ago, and the bearing issues were only in 2009, and have since resolved. You should feel pretty darned comfortable buying a STi right now since there shouldn't be any drivetrain changes for 2013
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by STIcritter View Post
    I am at a point in my life where I have figured out that I get tired of cars and trade fairly quickly. More honestly, I just like a lot of different cars and want to own them. I'm not opposed to leasing. But, in case I decide to keep this car to 4 or 5 years and 100K miles, is there anything I should know about the engine and what I've heard about this "ring problem"? I don't plan to be do any tuning or modification of the engine.
    First off, welcome!

From what you've said, I would not go the leasing route. You mentioned your time frame/mileage, and just from that you will be passed any lease program available. Also, If you are going to be doing any modifications at all, even as simple as a catback exhaust, I would stay away from a lease. You would most likely have to return the car completely back to stock and once you do one thing, its difficult to stop, especially with being on this forum haha

But regardless of how...get the car, you will love every minute of it...except when pumping gas, and getting two sets of tires, and an extra set of wheels for the winter tires, and full synthetic oil changes, etc etc lol...but besides those minutes...you'll love it
    Last edited by spirited09wrx; 06-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    what's an oil chance?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    First off, welcome!

From what you've said, I would not go the leasing route. You mentioned your time frame/mileage, and just from that you will be passed any lease program available. Also, If you are going to be doing any modifications at all, even as simple as a catback exhaust, I would stay away from a lease. You would most likely have to return the car completely back to stock and once you do one thing, its difficult to stop, especially with being on this forum haha

But regardless of how...get the car, you will love every minute of it...except when pumping gas, and getting two sets of tires, and an extra set of wheels for the winter tires, and full synthetic oil chances, etc etc lol...but besides those minutes...you'll love it
    Hey thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I've come to the understanding of the mpg and the premium gas prices. And as for modifications, my jeep is heavily modified. I've dropped several thousand into it over the past four years. it is an addiction for sure! Buying a set of rims and tires for winter really won't be that bad to me. And I've used synthetics for 15 years so I'm already prepared for that.

To the other comments, I'm glad to hear those issues have been fixed, at least improved. I can hold off forever really; I'm not in a pressure situation to get one today. I still have to sell the Jeep. Not an easy task given it's a very specified vehicle. I need a buyer who wants that sort of thing, not just any ole' car buyer needing something different.

A question about mpg: I'll look for threads on this, but what is the ballpark? On the used one I drove (09 model) it had 55K miles on it, and I scrolled through trip A and B, and they ave. mpg was 20 for A and 22 for B. Can this car do better when it's driven easy? Or is that just what it is because that's what it is? I know with my Jeep I basically get 15 mpg no matter how I drive the thing. But it's a brick on wheels, so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    what's an oil chance?
    Idk what you're talking about lol

Good to know you can resist lol. It depends on where you drive and how much you baby the car. And actually getting a tune should increase your mpgs a bit. I get about what you saw on my wrx
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Outback pricing came out yesterday for the 13s. looks like 500 buck increase across the board. Would you expect the same for the 13 sti?