A quick tip for new Subaru owners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on A quick tip for new Subaru owners within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you are looking to purchase, or just picked up your brand new Subaru wrx/sti and plan on purchasing a ...

I Support ClubWRX

A quick tip for new Subaru owners

If you are looking to purchase, or just picked up your brand new Subaru wrx/sti and plan on purchasing a license plate relocator (like me), please purchase the relocator asap or run the risk of driving around without any front plates. I've had my car for about 5 months and plates for 4 and just today when i switched out the dealer plate frame for a different one, i notice that at the bottom of the mount on the bumper are about 4 spots where oem paint is missing. Looks like from the rubbing the plate does to the bumper at speed. It looks pretty bad, makes me not want to get the relocate kit any more. Even if you werent planning on getting the relocate kit but still want a bumper as clean as possible i suggest putting some painters tape or something under there to absorb the contact from the plate.

Sorry if this was innapropriate, just felt like i needed to share.
    Last edited by impretzel; 06-08-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Edit for unhappy face
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you know I just ordered my plate re locator and I've never even though about looking under the original plate frame. I hope I didn't just blow 70 bucks for nothing!

I Support ClubWRX
    good luck on your findings. i do mostly highway driving so i had probably a better chance of seeing that issue. but it all depends i guess. its worse because my car is white and its so obvious. -_-
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

mine is 80% highway, I'll be checking it out today most likely. Hopefully I won't have to come up with some band aid so cover it.

Highway would be the most likely reason for this, but also, in the area I live, the roads are too traveled and about 35% of the roads around here are ****. Once one little divot in the road appears, after the next winter there are 30 more because the plows just rip right through. This could also be caused by bumpy back roads. I got my re-locater about 2 months after my car, but I guess my mis-fortune, became luck. I ended up cracking my bumper in the snow/on a parking barrier. (parking barrier gave it a tiny crack, and as I drove in a snowstorm one time, the rip kept getting bigger) But when I had switched to the re-locater, I need to order a new front bumper, so It's all brand new

P.S. If anybody is afraid of this happening on their re-locater on the side of the bumper, u can put that foam stuff that insulates doors around the edges of the relocation kit

I'm guessing if you just don't use a plate frame you're fine.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm confused... why do you need a plate relocator?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yea, personally, I think it looks ugly on the side. And then you have this rectangular thing in the middle left there where the plate should be.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung_Wei_Lo View Post
    Yea, personally, I think it looks ugly on the side. And then you have this rectangular thing in the middle left there where the plate should be.
    Well I can understand the necessity with a FMIC... but short of that, I don't see the point.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Personal preference,but I always thought it was sort of asymmetrical to have that plate on the side instead of the middle.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It's all personal preference. I think it makes the car look more popping. and at night I like the look of the plate in the bottom corner of an on-coming car, just give's the car a little more of a distinction from most of the other cars out there. And the rectangular black thing that holds the plate, can be taken off with 2 screws behind the bumper. I'm not sure if there are any threads on how to do it, but if u follow the hella super horn DIY it shows how to take the bumper off easily.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm guessing if you just don't use a plate frame you're fine.
    It was the license plate itself that caused the problem. I found out about it when i swapped out the dealer plate frame for a different one. Hmm, thought i mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Never said you needed one, just if u wanted to switch it up later down the road to either consider purchasing soon, or something in between for the time being.
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

Thanks for the tip! While I am not going to be relocating my front plate because I am gonna stick with the TMIC, I still will be putting something under the factory plate frame to avoid any paint chipping.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Or, just live in PA.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast