Hopeful future WRX/STI owner

This is a discussion on Hopeful future WRX/STI owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone. I am looking for a 4 cylinder car with some KICK and versatility. I test drove the 2012 ...

Hopeful future WRX/STI owner

Hello everyone. I am looking for a 4 cylinder car with some KICK and versatility. I test drove the 2012 WRX hatchback and the 2012 Mazdaspeed3. I felt that the WRX felt more roomier to me, especially in the back, where there is plenty of room for my 2 kids. Surprised how roomy it is for a hatchback. I wanted to also test drive the 2012 STI but there wasnt't one on the lot I was at. But if I liked the WRX, I am sure I would like the STI. Just curious how the extra 40hp feels. Anyways, glad to be part of the forum and eager to learn a lot more about the WRXs and STIs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Welcome - When I was looking for a new car, I test drove the wrx, a handful of Mazdaspeed 6's and a a range of Mazdaspeed 3's (A couple 07s, 08s, and a few 10s). All pretty fun cars, but the main downside to the 3 is the front wheel drive and the resulting torque steer. The 07s and 08s were a bit more "raw" in that Mazda sort of allowed the torque steer to happen without a ton of computers forcing you to stop. However, on the newer models, apparently Mazda's new computer system detects the amount of steering input from the user on hard accelerations, and cuts power depending on how much the wheel is turned (when counteracting torque steer). Kinda killed the whole thing for me. I also agree with you that the wrx is roomier - I fit 9 tires in the back of mine with the seats folded down if that helps paint a visual picture at all... Anyways, good luck!
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

IMHO, the main advantage to the sti is not the 40 extra HP. You are only going to get that at the top of the rpm range, and the difference is probably overstated.

The biggest advantages in my opinion are:
    * The 6 speed (and beefier) transmission
    * The DCCD that enables you to make the car drive more like a RWD
    * The tighter suspension and lower ride
    * The Brembo brakes

Some of those things won't make much of a difference to you unless you drive your car on the track.
    But I really think they should have put a 6spd on the WRX

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy18 View Post
    Welcome - When I was looking for a new car, I test drove the wrx, a handful of Mazdaspeed 6's and a a range of Mazdaspeed 3's (A couple 07s, 08s, and a few 10s). All pretty fun cars, but the main downside to the 3 is the front wheel drive and the resulting torque steer. The 07s and 08s were a bit more "raw" in that Mazda sort of allowed the torque steer to happen without a ton of computers forcing you to stop. However, on the newer models, apparently Mazda's new computer system detects the amount of steering input from the user on hard accelerations, and cuts power depending on how much the wheel is turned (when counteracting torque steer). Kinda killed the whole thing for me. I also agree with you that the wrx is roomier - I fit 9 tires in the back of mine with the seats folded down if that helps paint a visual picture at all... Anyways, good luck!
    WOW! Yeah..I did not even think about folding down the rear seats. I was already satisfied with the cargo room with the seats up. But, its good to know that the hatchback can hold that much cargo.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    IMHO, the main advantage to the sti is not the 40 extra HP. You are only going to get that at the top of the rpm range, and the difference is probably overstated.

The biggest advantages in my opinion are:
    * The 6 speed (and beefier) transmission
    * The DCCD that enables you to make the car drive more like a RWD
    * The tighter suspension and lower ride
    * The Brembo brakes

Some of those things won't make much of a difference to you unless you drive your car on the track.
    But I really think they should have put a 6spd on the WRX
    Great points. I dont plan on going to the track. Just your occasional jaunt through the twisties. So..maybe WRX it is and save like 7 to 8 grand.

6 speed would in my opinion the biggest advantage, followed by the Brembos. The DCCD is, once again in my opinion, a novelty more than an advantage. The tighter suspension does make for better handling if running it on a road course or something like that but makes for a stiffer ride for a DD. The AWD makes for good handling as it is and the body roll isn't so bad on the WRX. If you are ok with the 5 speed, upgrading to Brembos is realistic and the rest isn't necessary unless racing......go with the WRX

Cobb also makes it easy to make up the 40 horse if it really matters to you
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee09 View Post
    6 speed would in my opinion the biggest advantage, followed by the Brembos. The DCCD is, once again in my opinion, a novelty more than an advantage. The tighter suspension does make for better handling if running it on a road course or something like that but makes for a stiffer ride for a DD. The AWD makes for good handling as it is and the body roll isn't so bad on the WRX. If you are ok with the 5 speed, upgrading to Brembos is realistic and the rest isn't necessary unless racing......go with the WRX

Cobb also makes it easy to make up the 40 horse if it really matters to you

I think that I am gonna test drive the STI to satisfy my curiousity. I want to feel for myself how stiff the ride is and how shifting through the 6 speed gear box is. But the WRX is gonna be hard to beat for overall driveability. I guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks Jay for your opinion and everyone elses for that matter. I am already learning alot about the WRX/STIs and its only been 1 day.

Oh absolutely. I don't blame you for wanting to drive anything that you may even possibly be considering buying. Good luck and I'm sure you'd be happy with either the WRX or the STI. I was considering the speed3 myself and as much as I like my WRX I kind of wish that I had driven one just to see what it is all about. I do hear that it is a competitor for the WRX...not so much STI.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.