Future WRX owner sorry for all the questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Future WRX owner sorry for all the questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sorry been on the search for quite a while now on purchasing my first Wrx switching over from a 2007 ...

Future WRX owner sorry for all the questions

Sorry been on the search for quite a while now on purchasing my first Wrx switching over from a 2007 Vw rabbit.
    Ive been searching my price ranges between 12 and like 17,000. I ran across three wrx since I came across a 2002 bugeye with 52,000 miles eight 2008 55,000 miles an a 2004 with 50,000.
    So I'm looking at 3 different generations of wrx I'm just curious what are some concerns I should have for each.
    Also would like to know about the stages.. I know that a stage 2 is just a downpipe but. Can they all be flash with a tactrix cable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What exactly are your plans with the car? I mean they may all be similar mileage, but the 2002 is 11 years old! Also, the 2008 has the 2.5L block.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Stage two is a tune for a down pipe, just a down pipe by itself would be stage zero.

All OBDII Subarus can be flashed with the OpenPort 2.0 cable, the older ones can be flashed with the cheaper (and more durable) OpenPort 1.3U cable, but it will not work on the newer models that have a 32-bit ECU.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    All OBDII Subarus can be flashed with the OpenPort 2.0 cable, the older ones can be flashed with the cheaper (and more durable) OpenPort 1.3U cable, but it will not work on the newer models that have a CANbus interface ('08+).
    Fixed
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Go with the 04

just my opinion.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Fixed

Thanks.. is it CANbus that requires the OpenPort 2.0 cable.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    Thanks.. is it CANbus that requires the OpenPort 2.0 cable.
    Yes. My ECU is 32-bit, as are the '06-'07 WRXs, which don't require the 2.0 cable.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I agree that out of those you should go with the '04. If its performance that you want from from your WRX then I would stay away from the 08. My understanding is that the 08 was tuned down having slightly less HP than the 04 while weighing more and became the Impreza GT in 09 because people were displeased. Technology is 5 years newer though so its up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    What exactly are your plans with the car? I mean they may all be similar mileage, but the 2002 is 11 years old! Also, the 2008 has the 2.5L block.
    downpipe and tune its gonna be my DD also want a bov but i know its called something else for this car.
    im realy inbetween 02 is 12K i just love the price
    the 08 i justlove the its newer
    the price and the mileage are really high

is there anything i should worryabout the 02 or 08?? like i said not looking for alot of performance but u never know when the bug mod will hit
    I want The car to last me for a very very long time
    Last edited by Tdoug60; 06-05-2012 at 07:33 PM.

I believe you should drive them both and consider which one you feel more comfortable in. Its going to be your daily driver and your going to be in it a lot. I have heard that there were issues with the 08's but as for what they are I am uncertain. I will say that a BOV is not necessary and personally would annoy me on a DD. There are much more worth while upgrades you can do than adding sound effects. An exhaust would sound nicer as well as add a tiny bit of HP .
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee09 View Post
    I agree that out of those you should go with the '04. If its performance that you want from from your WRX then I would stay away from the 08. My understanding is that the 08 was tuned down having slightly less HP than the 04 while weighing more and became the Impreza GT in 09 because people were displeased. Technology is 5 years newer though so its up to you.
    Its going to be your daily driver and your going to be in it a lot. I have heard that there were issues with the 08's but as for what they are I am uncertain.
    The 2008 used the same engine as the 06 and 07, which is different from the 04. The 04 is a 2.0 liter, whilst the 08 is a 2.5 liter. Horsepower is roughly the same, a bit more torque, and of course the curve is different. The 08 was not detuned, nor was is any heavier than the 06/07, although it was marginally heavier than an 04 would be (about 55 lbs). The big complaint with the 08 was that the suspension was too soft, and the power, while not detuned from previous years, was no longer was competitive with other makes.

I will say that a BOV is not necessary and personally would annoy me on a DD.
    Me too, but that's a personal taste kinda thing Also, BOVs can be detrimental to our engines, see here. OP, I think you mentioned something about wanting a BOV, but believing it is called something else for our cars? We have a bypass valve, which works a little differently than a BOV.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

[QUOTE=Calvinball;2897457. The big complaint with the 08 was that the suspension was too soft, and the power, while not detuned from previous years, was no longer was competitive with other makes.
    [/QUOTE]

so is that for the 2008 year? Or that generation ? How are the wrx generations broken up?

I'll get a BPV instead of the BOV.

Yes, just for 2008. In 2009 they upped the power to address one of those concerns, and there were suspension upgrades in both 2009 and 2011, iirc.

The generations are broken up by headlights (semi-serious answer)
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    It all depends on the driving experience you want. The 2.0L motor drives completely differently than the 2.5L, but not in a bad way. I noticed the pull of the TD04 more in the 2.0L (its closer to sized right) and it feels closer to a "power band style" of driving. It is fun, only tradeoff being a little more clutch work needed with the AC on in stop and go traffic. The 2002 and 2004 will drive the same.

The 2.5L has plenty of torque right off the bottom and is slightly easier to drive. The power surge from the turbo is less noticeable but it is there.

It comes down to looks and interior noise. The 02-07 have frame less windows and very little sound deadening. This makes them light and subsequently very noisy inside compared to the 08+.

After 6 years of driving my noisy 06 I can tell you the only thing I want to hear inside my next car is a slight exhaust rumble when I mash on the gas. You can keep the wind noise and tire noise.

Also the 08+WRX got seats that fold flat in the rear while the 02-07 sedan had just a ski hole blow through.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Well the suspension for the 08 would be fix by sway bars. And what would my HP b after a stage 1 or. 2 tune.
    I love that all the seats fold down that's cool. Im kinda leaning twds a sedan instead of the hatch.

I love the bugeye but from being in a 2.5L rabbit I feel like the 2.5L wrx would be amazing. I loved the Low end power in the rabbit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.