Future WRX owner sorry for all the questions - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

This is a discussion on Future WRX owner sorry for all the questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cobb quoted me 00 to tune my car.. kinda hard to swallow when I can just have someone else tune ...

  1. #31
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,275
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb quoted me $1000 to tune my car.. kinda hard to swallow when I can just have someone else tune it opensource for $350, and I already own a cable and laptop to log with.

    Although that's not the rip off I was referring to.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Cobb quoted me $1000 to tune my car.. kinda hard to swallow when I can just have someone else tune it opensource for $350, and I already own a cable and laptop to log with.

    Although that's not the rip off I was referring to.
    Damn 1,000 whys that?
    Why the open source cost $350
    I tho the maps were only $80

  4. #33
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,275
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I require two maps, one for 93 and one for e85 with map switching ability. No off the shelf base map would work for me. $350 is actually really cheap for an actual dyno tune .. not to mention two different maps.

  5. #34
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,275
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdoug60 View Post
    I tho the maps were only $80


    Flashing a base map and getting an actual tune are two different things.. I wouldn't consider either the maps on the AP or TP maps to be a tune.

  6. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    41
    Whats E85 I've been hearing bout that alot.
    Well when I get the Rex I want to go straight to stage 2 does anyone advise against this?

    I'm Honestly trying get the best bang for my buck.

  7. #36
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,155
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdoug60 View Post
    Whats E85 I've been hearing bout that alot.
    It's corn-based ethanol as a substitute to normal pump gas. It has a much higher octane level than 93 pump gas (meaning can be tuned for more power) but has a lower specific energy density compared to traditional fossil fuel i.e. 20% worse fuel economy.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  8. #37
    Registered User JayBee09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Memphis TN
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdoug60 View Post
    What does Cobb have the TP doesn't? Honest question.
    I want TP cuz of the price.
    The Cobb tuner comes with maps already loaded on it and you have to do is plug it in and follow the instructions on the screen.....idky it would cost any more than the original $600 for the AP. to name a few things that the AP can do along with the performance maps it functions as gauges, launch control, flat foot shifting, data logging and you can pull your codes with it. I am not sure What the TP comes with or what you would need to do to change any of the maps. i found their website extremely un-informative.

    In my opinion you usually get what you pay for.

    As for the Stage two I see no problem going right to it if you have the set up for it. You want an intake, exhaust and down pipe then you should be set to load the stage 2.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

  9. #38
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,764
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee09
    The Cobb tuner comes with maps already loaded on it and you have to do is plug it in and follow the instructions on the screen.....idky it would cost any more than the original $600 for the AP. to name a few things that the AP can do along with the performance maps it functions as gauges, launch control, flat foot shifting, data logging and you can pull your codes with it. I am not sure What the TP comes with or what you would need to do to change any of the maps. i found their website extremely un-informative.

    In my opinion you usually get what you pay for.

    As for the Stage two I see no problem going right to it if you have the set up for it. You want an intake, exhaust and down pipe then you should be set to load the stage 2.
    TP is a shop that puts out maps for both OpenECU and Cobb AP.

    There is always a debate about which one's better: OpenECU or Cobb AP. What it comes down to (for 99% of people) is would you prefer to use a proprietary handheld device or a laptop to load the new map on your car? Both can log, both can display real-time data in gauge form, both can do LC/FFS, and code reading. The only real benefit Cobb has over OpenECU will only affect people adjusting their tune, where you can use a laptop to check in on ClubWRX, play Solitaire, watch dirty videos, etc.

    I'm an OpenECU guy, personally, but the Cobb AP has its purpose. Many people flash the map, put the AP back in the box, and leave it there until they either need to put another tune on (e.g., they go from StageI to StageII), or they unmarry it when they put the car back to stock and sell it. The two things about Cobb that intrigue me is the on-the-fly flashes (if you're not self-tuning the vehicle, this doesn't really help you), and the Speed Density. My car isn't modified enough to warrant the speed density, and I don't mind shutting the car off to reflash, so I haven't made the switch.
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-09-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  10. #39
    Registered User JayBee09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Memphis TN
    Posts
    119
    I am not too computer savvy but would like to do self tuning as well as on the fly flash so I still think that I would rather have the device that that you get with Cobb. I would probably keep the device in the car so I can have it for when I need it as oppose to needing my laptop. The AP has the capability of hooking up a laptop as well so it just seems to be that I would have more versatility with the AP over TP.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

  11. #40
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,764
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee09
    I am not too computer savvy but would like to do self tuning as well as on the fly flash so I still think that I would rather have the device that that you get with Cobb. I would probably keep the device in the car so I can have it for when I need it as oppose to needing my laptop. The AP has the capability of hooking up a laptop as well so it just seems to be that I would have more versatility with the AP over TP.
    There's no versatility to Cobb over OpenECU until you start doing your own tuning. You'd like to, but most people give up on the idea quickly.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  12. #41
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,275
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    How does the AP come out on top for self tuning? Is RaceTuner (or whatever it's called) that much more intuitive than RomRaider? All the software a professional tuner would use to tune and log a car open source is available for free on the internet.

  13. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    41
    Still on the search for the Rex. It's difficult finding a Rex in the price/mileage I want.
    Is it bad to be looking at some over 100K miles ?
    They are way lower in price maybe8-10k.
    If I plan on going cheaper with more miles what should I estimate a rebuilt engine/new or sti short block new clutch, and new tranny cost me.(not a combined price)
    I want to make sure if I pull the trigger on a older vehicle 2004&^ that I have money saved for repairs like the engine and clutch.

  14. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    41
    Couldn't find me a Rex in the price and mileage I want so pulled the trigger on a 07 legacy.

  15. #44
    Gold Member lokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Crofton, MD
    Posts
    2,177
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdoug60 View Post
    Couldn't find me a Rex in the price and mileage I want so pulled the trigger on a 07 legacy.
    gt?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

    Greg

    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

  16. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    41
    Yep GT it even has the SI mode which I was told only comes in a automatic. I bought the 5spd

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •