Harhar's tale and impressions about his new 2012 SWP WRX Sedan

This is a discussion on Harhar's tale and impressions about his new 2012 SWP WRX Sedan within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sorry if this is boring, ha!... And unfortunately there aren't any pics yet. I'm planning on taking a photoshoot pretty ...

Harhar's tale and impressions about his new 2012 SWP WRX Sedan

Sorry if this is boring, ha!... And unfortunately there aren't any pics yet. I'm planning on taking a photoshoot pretty soon.

Some details about the car:

It's a premium model (wanted the base but got impatient last minute ). It came with the SPT boost gauge (already clicking/I'm going to take it apart and try and fix it), rear cargo liner, SPT short shifter (actually not bad) and autodimming, compass and Homelink rearview mirror.

So...where to begin....

I drove a 2002 Honda Civic SI (for sale BTW ) and last year I started looking for a new car. I needed space for my future family and I loved the 2011 WRXs. I lurked here and other forums for a few months researching the car.

Other than the MS3(don't care for) and GTI(unreliable) the WRX is the only car new that fit my requirements...until...the BRZ came out. Hear me out.

In late December the BRZ caught my attention. I owned an S2000 for a while, and the BRZ reminded me of it, except that it had 4 seats, perfect! I've spent the last 7 months over at ft86club.com under the name 86'd.

I was 90% sure I was getting a BRZ until my wife reminded me that she wanted more than one kid (those back seats weren't going to cut it) and the fact that BRZs were either marked up or sold out. Plus first year cars have some small problems (sometimes big problems) so it'd be best to wait anyway.

So, the BRZ/FR-S was out.

I had a last ditch effort to buy a used NA Miata, but my common sense said, "Get the more practical car that's fun too" and so the WRX fit the bill. I didn't really want a project car as a daily, so...

Plus I'm planing on keeping this car for at least 10 years. But who knows.

Impressions:

First thing, I think the Sedan is awesome. I like the hatches, but the Sedan looks meaner and more mature, while the hatch looks younger and sporty. I could have gone either way.

The white is really nice, and was really the only color I wanted.

The stock wheels are nice as well. I'd only want them bigger for aesthetic reasons, but my wallet appreciates them being 17's.

The interior (which a lot of people said was cheap) to me, wasn't. It rattles, yes. But the darker trim and solid thunk of the door, blow my Civic away. It's even a bit more solid than my wife's Prius. The pedals are solid and the car's materials are nice where it counts, the steering wheel, the little pad for your left elbow, the cloth seats. The climate controls are nice and easy to use as well.

Seating position is nice. For a Sedan it's almost c.ockpit-y. I have the seat height all the way down, but still have good visibility, and it's nice to have an armrest. (I think I'm going to get it covered by JPM)...

I'm still breaking it in, but I can tell I'm going to like the power. This is my first turbo'ed car and I LOVE the sound. It sounds like a mini-V8, with little gurgles and pops. The throttle response, coming from N/A cars is something I'll have to get used to. It's torture keeping it under 4k...

The stereo wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I stream MOG and it sounds as good, if not better than my Civic with an Eclipse HU.

The only bad thing, is the shifter. With the SPT short shifter the throws are fine, there's just a little too much play. I'm getting a different heavier shiftknob (probably from WCLathewerks) and maybe some bushings to hopefully stiffen things up. My SI is surprisingly better in this department. I'm really picky about my MTs. And that's the only reason why I'd choose the STI.

Speaking of the STI, it was really never on my radar, the WRX does 99% of what I want it to do and I couldn't afford (or didn't want to afford) the STI anyway.

Mods:

Other than the above things I want to do, probably not much. Maybe the H9 bulb conversion, but honestly the stock halogens, again, blow my Civic's away.

I have a dream list of stuff, like lowering/rims and Stage 1, but honestly the car is more than enough for now.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to get pics up soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! I too purchased a SWP wrx limited sedan in the past two weeks. My impressions are very similar to yours. So far I did tint, a debadge and my v-limited lip should be here tomorrow. Other than that, I'm very pleased with the exterior. Now it's on to figure out the sweet spot in protecting this beautiful paint. Going to wash-clay-wash-prewax-paint seal-caranuba wax. Something you may wanna do soon. I know its a lot of work, but seems to be well worth it for the future. Enjoy!
    92 Eagle Talon TSI
    91 Eagle Talon TSI
    91 Galant Vr4
    05 Nissan Altima SE-R
    12 Subaru WRX

Welcome! Thanks for the well thought out read
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by tsigeoff View Post
    Welcome! I too purchased a SWP wrx limited sedan in the past two weeks. My impressions are very similar to yours. So far I did tint, a debadge and my v-limited lip should be here tomorrow. Other than that, I'm very pleased with the exterior. Now it's on to figure out the sweet spot in protecting this beautiful paint. Going to wash-clay-wash-prewax-paint seal-caranuba wax. Something you may wanna do soon. I know its a lot of work, but seems to be well worth it for the future. Enjoy!
    I like that lip but I'm afraid it's a bit too much for me. I might look into a replica.

I also might get an orbital polisher. I've waxed and polished by hand and I'm never doing that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome! Thanks for the well thought out read
    Thanks for the welcome!

Very good man. Im in the EXACT boat you are, but mine has not come in yet. The only difference is mine is hatch. I settled for the SWP because I too was being very impatient. I really hope that I will like the color. I see others around town and LOVE the other colors. I like SWP but just kinda nervous. Im sure it looks better in person. Congrats on the new car! Lets see some pics!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Though I will disagree with one point... IMO the Sedans (even the 3G) have always looked more boy-racer when compared to the wagon/hatch.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    Very good man. Im in the EXACT boat you are, but mine has not come in yet. The only difference is mine is hatch. I settled for the SWP because I too was being very impatient. I really hope that I will like the color. I see others around town and LOVE the other colors. I like SWP but just kinda nervous. Im sure it looks better in person. Congrats on the new car! Lets see some pics!
    Even though I'm a fan of flat whites or whites like Alpine White I think SWP fits the WRX better than other cars. Under streetlights it's a bit more beige than I'd like but really that's just me being picky. The pearl really shows off the lines of the car and it's a lot better in person.

And things like the clear headlights are also better in person, but I do still like the '11 blacked out ones.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Welcome! Though I will disagree with one point... IMO the Sedans (even the 3G) have always looked more boy-racer when compared to the wagon/hatch.
    Thanks! I agree both cars the hatch and sedan (this gen) look kinda boy racer. But the sedan reminds me a bit like a IS or 3 Series and in person looks both mean and subdued at the same time (if that makes any sense).

The boost gauge on top of the cluster doesn't help in this department though, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by harhar View Post
    Even though I'm a fan of flat whites or whites like Alpine White I think SWP fits the WRX better than other cars. Under streetlights it's a bit more beige than I'd like but really that's just me being picky. The pearl really shows off the lines of the car and it's a lot better in person.

And things like the clear headlights are also better in person, but I do still like the '11 blacked out ones.
    Yeah. I agree with you on the headlights. I think the black ones look better on the swp. I might actually swap them out later on down the road.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!