How much to save for an upgrade

This is a discussion on How much to save for an upgrade within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Guys, I'm very knew to WRX tuning...but I know what upgrades I want in the future (around 2014?). I ...

How much to save for an upgrade

Hey Guys,

I'm very knew to WRX tuning...but I know what upgrades I want in the future (around 2014?). I just needed to know how much to save for the following upgrades and you tell me how much I should be putting at the wheel approx. What experiences have you had in this setup? I plan to do it all at once, done all the tuning at once so I won't be tuning piece by piece.

WRX 2012

Engine
    Turbo upgrade (need recommendation)
    FMIC West Process
    Injectors (need recommendation)
    Fuel Pump (need recommendation)
    Catted downpipe (Nvidia)
    Cobb Accessport + tuned
    AOS

Suspension
    Endlinks
    lateral links
    Whiteline sway bars 22 rear 24 front

P.S. I'm keeping the stock exhaust and OEM intake. I don't need the extra loud noises...
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you want, I can get you a deal on all the items.

The tune, you may want to look locally for a tuner or check out Torqued Performance for a tune.

PM me.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would suggest to do it piece by piece and here's the reason why:
    Doing some mods here and there will keep you interested in the car. Doing mods all at once, you will grow bored of the car shortly after. Don't believe me? Check NASIOC: there are a lot of guys that buy a car, put a ton of mods in all at once, then sell the car immediately after seeking another project. I've had my car for 6 years, and I'm only now upgrading the turbo.

Here's what I would say:

Engine
    Turbo upgrade (need recommendation) -- Wait for a while
    FMIC West Process -- You may have more use for a TMIC at this juncture.
    Injectors (need recommendation) -- The size of your injectors will depend on your turbo setup
    Fuel Pump (need recommendation) -- Same as above
    Catted downpipe (Nvidia) -- Start with this
    Cobb Accessport + tuned -- Use the OTS Stage 2 tune with the downpipe above.
    AOS

Suspension
    Endlinks
    lateral links
    Whiteline sway bars 22 rear 24 front

So here's how I would recommend proceeding:
    1.) Purchase a downpipe and Cobb AP, flash the OTS Stage 2 map (you could do a Tactrix Cable + TP map if you want to save money)
    2.) Focus on your suspension upgrades. I would say that Endlinks/swaybars will give you the most performance increase out of the box. Consider a good set of bushings at this juncture: shifter bushings, rear diff bushings, steering rack bushings, transmission mount, pitch stop. The bushings are cheap: the work will be time consuming. Also consider some brake upgrades

Wait for some time.

3.) when you again become bored and have the funds available, purchase the PW TMIC, injectors, and 3-port EBCS. At this point, you can gain a working relationship with a good local tuner. Let the tuner know that a turbo upgrade is in your future.

Wait for a while

4.) Springs and struts may be a good upgrade at this point
    5.) Consider a turbo (not familiar with LGT-compatible turbos)
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Zax,
    You have a good point. I'm not really bored at the engine performance but the suspension needs immediate attention. So I was thinking doing suspension upgrade first + catted dowpipe + AOS+ cobb accessport since these cost much less to do. Then after the warranty period at 60K that's what I'm looking to upgrade the FMIC, Turbo, Injectors, fuel pump immediately. Hopefully I could have saved at least 3K grand by then. By the way I plan to keep this car forever...it was tough enough to convince my wife...-

But i really need to know the best Tuner in NorCal/Bay Area that do it the best....any suggestion?
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you go FMIC I think you will also need a new intake I have not seen one fit around the stock intake.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX