how much do i need to learn?

This is a discussion on how much do i need to learn? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I am just a poor college student who recently bought a car I fell in love with but I ...

how much do i need to learn?

So I am just a poor college student who recently bought a car I fell in love with but I don't know the first thing about cars other than some really basic knowledge. My question is how long and how did you all learn all that oh know? I would love to contribute to the threads but I can barely keep up with what everyone is talking about

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I always worked with people who really knew what they were doing. Don't just watch them, work with them. Slowly over the years I learned a lot about my last car, could take apart the entire thing front to back, except for the engine. Working on your own car with someone who knows what they're doing looking over your shoulder is the best way to do anything I think, as long as you have that friend...
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

Learning is almost an infinite process. There's always something you won't know, and there's always somebody that will know more about certain things than you.

The best way to learn about cars is to wrench on them yourself instead of paying somebody to do it. The other thing to do is just read, read, and read all you can find. The sticky threads on this forum are a great place to start.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hang out at good performance shops, read (a lot), ask questions (don't be afraid to go straight to the source), work on your car.. break stuff (might seem odd, but it's always a lesson).

I Support ClubWRX
    Go to the public library. Find a repair manual for a popular car of little value and over a decade old. Read on how to remove a cylinder head. Twice. Go to a junk yard. Pay the $2 to enter, and find that car. Remove the head and buy it (fair is fair, you're paying to learn). Presto.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

this thread taught me a lot when i was first learning. i also read and read and read through threads on here.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

It depends. I took a few automotive classes before. I learned nothing from the teacher lecturing, but learned when I actually tried to do something. I will always hate timing belts though... One important thing I remember is to keep all the parts you remove, such as the bolts, pistons, rings, etc., in one place or a zip-lock bag and label it. Definitely get some hands on experience and don't be afraid to ask questions. I would never ask a question because I always thought it was a stupid. I realized later that it didn't make a difference because that teacher thought all teenagers were idiots that had no respect for anyone else's property. Lol.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Personally I have owned a lot of crappy cars, was young and broke, so if your going to get it running again, I guess its sink or swim. Really its not rocket science. Lots of F bombs and bloody knuckles and you'll be surprised as to what your capable of doing.
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm. ~Jacquie Phelan

Quote Originally Posted by Sworks View Post
    Personally I have owned a lot of crappy cars, was young and broke, so if your going to get it running again, I guess its sink or swim. Really its not rocket science. Lots of F bombs and bloody knuckles and you'll be surprised as to what your capable of doing.
    Lol, yeah, I forgot, get band-aids, lots of em
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012