turbo upgrade questions

This is a discussion on turbo upgrade questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not completely sure how this is going to turn out but i bought a TD05 16G for my 08 wrx ...

turbo upgrade questions

Not completely sure how this is going to turn out but i bought a TD05 16G for my 08 wrx still waiting on it in the mail but by the pictures the compressor housing is different and i really dont want to change my intercooler out and i have a tune set up for it once i get it installed but im unsure if this is all i need to do and dont have many turbo friendly friends that know anything about subaru's at all so if anyone has some info for me please let me know what is a necessity more than things that could be done but not immediatly cause my car has been down for 3 weeks thanks to a faulty oil supply line that caused damage to my stock turbo that pretty much destroyed it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What 16g is it? Is it one designed for stock location on a Subaru? Who makes it.. Blouch or Forced Performance?

I wish I could help but your lack of punctuation and capitalization makes it too hard to read your post!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

The turbo is designed to mount up without modifications but the compressor housing is straight where as the factory TD04L 13T has a 90 degree with a flange molded on it to attach to the intercooler. I found a way to make it connect up but just not sure on if i need other immediate mods to make it road worthy. Not sure who makes the turbo i bought it through CXracing though.

So, cheap Chinese eBay turbo then? Honestly, you would be better off not installing it on the car. Usually the seals will blow within 1000 miles if not already leak oil at first start up. And besides, the are notoriously bad performers, slow to spool, and hardly make any power.

Every td04 I remember seeing has a normal straight compressor outlet. The LGT turbos have the 90 degree bend on the outlet..