Service

This is a discussion on Service within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys my 2002 wrx has just ticked over 200k km and I'm wondering how hard it is to change ...

Service

Hi guys my 2002 wrx has just ticked over 200k km and I'm wondering how hard it is to change the timing belt? And are there any other things that should be replaced? Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a full weekend DIY. On myotor we did belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, rollers, cam seals, crank seal, coolant. If you search you can find at least two threads in which I beg for help
    and mercy. Good times.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ah no worries. Where did you get all the parts and seals from? Thanks for your help

I Support ClubWRX
    I shopped the site vendors for a Gates full kit but shopped dealers for seals and all gaskets and fluids.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

How experienced are you with working on cars? Unless you have a lot of experience and a good tool collection I wouldn't even try it.

As SD said, it's definitely a 2 day job even if you're experienced. You're pretty far up there in mileage and age so I wouldn't wait to change it either.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I'm a 3rd year apprentice heavy vehicle mechanic so trucks, and iv got acces to all the tools I'll need. If I get stuck I should be able to get a mechanic from work to help out, so hopefully everything goes to plan

I Support ClubWRX
    OK great. In other threads all the torques are listed. In theUS, Gates allegedly provides the Subaru belts do unused a Gates kit with tensioner, idlers, and pump. However I disliked their gaskets so I used Subaru for all gaskets and the thermostat itself.

I did cam seals and crank seals too, the worst of it all. Search for that thread, it's got pics of how to
    Immobilize the cams without wrecking the valve train.

I bought all Subaru stuff because it was only 100 or so more and I don't have to wait on postage from the states, I haven't bought can seals yet? Should I just check there condition of replace anyway?

I Support ClubWRX
    When I asked the same question I was told I may as well replace since I tend to keep my cars as long as possible and then some. At 180k km or so my seals were dry but not yet leaking. If you do the seals, buy six cam and two crank seals. You will resent the extra expense only if you don't need an extra seal (having messed one up, for example, and let's not dwell on how I know...) on Sunday morning. Just a suggestion. If you plan to sell and the seals are not leaking, your choice. I don't sell generally so I did them.

Given that you have 200k on the car I'm assuming you're going to keep it for a while so I'd definitely do all of the seals while you've got the motor apart, regardless of how they look. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It's a full weekend DIY. On myotor we did belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, rollers, cam seals, crank seal, coolant. If you search you can find at least two threads in which I beg for help
    and mercy. Good times.
    +1,i would agree, any time the timing belt is replaced, even at our dealership we recommend the water pump should be replaced at minimum. the others are nice only since your already in that area, and its apart anyway it doesn't hurt.

I Support ClubWRX
    The seals are scary with the motor in the car. We were pulling hard enough to break o-ring pick tools and shake the motor itself. Should have tried the screw method. Anyway, I don't like doing seals. Plus getting the cam sprockets and crank fitting off sucked too.