How long do I have to wait?

This is a discussion on How long do I have to wait? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I live less than a half mile from the through way, for my morning commute how long do I have ...

How long do I have to wait?

I live less than a half mile from the through way, for my morning commute how long do I have wait before its safe to go 70-75? I'm concerned there's not enough oil pumping when I first get on and the engine temp is still cold.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Be more concerned about engine load changes that cause the car to get into boost rather than the speed you're cruising at. Without an oil temperature gauge, you can't be sure when things have gotten to operating temp, but as a general rule on my car, oil takes about twice as long as coolant to get to temperature (when coolant hits OT, oil is still 140-160į, while 210-220į is OT).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I drive up to speed slow, keep the rpms under 3 and don't let the turbo kick in

I Support ClubWRX
    Just drive it like you stole it.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Quote Originally Posted by nepats555 View Post
    I drive up to speed slow, keep the rpms under 3 and don't let the turbo kick in
    That's probably fine. Start the car when you go to pour your coffee in the morning or brush your teeth (whatever the last action is before you leave) so you can get at least a good 30 secs-1 minute or so of warmup time to get oil circulating. Then that half mile, by the time you hit the highway, operating temps will be closer to optimal ranges. When you see your temp gauge getting towards the middle, you're good to go.

Me, I'll get changed, go turn the car on, then put hair goop in and style my hair. Wash my hands, grab my wallet, phone, and keys...throw my shoes and jacket on, and bam...temps are already warming up.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Start the car when you go to pour your coffee in the morning or brush your teeth (whatever the last action is before you leave) .
    That is how cars get stolen from your driveway.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Just drive the car normally. How fast you should go has virtually nothing to do with the car being warmed up. Engine load is more important, but you still really don't have anything to worry about. Just don't drive the car like you stole it until it has at least a few miles to distribute oil around the engine and lubricants around the other moving parts like diffs.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    then put hair goop in and style my hair.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    That is how cars get stolen from your driveway.
    Not everyone lives in the perfect crime free world of NYC, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I left myself open for that one
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying