2003 wrx wagon upgrades

This is a discussion on 2003 wrx wagon upgrades within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi I am very new to Subaru and have so may questions but i will start with whats the best ...

2003 wrx wagon upgrades

Hi I am very new to Subaru and have so may questions but i will start with whats the best first upgrades? I just got a 2003 wrx wagon with a automatic trans totally stock with 70,000 miles on it and I have been looking around the net and it looks like a uppipe and down pipe with a tune is the best bang for the buck i found a shop in my area that will do a Grimm speed uppipe and down pipe with a tune for around $1000 bucks it seems like a good deal but i am new to this and i don't know if Grimm speed is a good brand and if i need to do any thing to the car before i get the install? also how much difference will this make to my car like power increase, engine noise and will it shorten the life of the motor? sorry i am sure someone else has already posted something very similar to this but i haven't found it and i don't want to go off half . Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .ed and wast money and or screw up my car any feed back will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    GrimmSpeed is good quality. Are they talking about doing a custom protune, or just flashing a stage two map for you?

It will make it feel like a totally different car, much better power wise. The exhaust will be a little louder, but not drastically so. Anything that increases power will shorten the life of the engine/transmission. However, with a good stage two tune it shouldn't be that hard on the rest of the car.

i am not sure what type of tune they are going to do but they just said i needed one. what would be the best to ask for? i just want it to be more responsive at lower rpms i know its a automatic but its kinda sluggish unless i really put my foot into it i am still trying to get used to the sound of the motor i like it but it still sounds a little like a vw but i am coming from a 2002 acura tl type s and i cant hear the motor on that thing or feel the road. i am very happy with this car but its only been 3 weeks and i am already needing more power.

thank you so much for your help everything helps

I Support ClubWRX
    If they're going to put a custom tune on it after the downpipe is installed, that's stage two. The exhaust and tune will definitely help with the responsiveness. Just be sure the tuner knows what they're doing, and that they have a good reputation in the Subaru community. One wrong value in a tune can easily blow an engine.

I looked them up on the internet (Outback automotive) and they have 4 1/2 stars out of 5 but i dont know if that even means anything but i read the reviews and they all seem very good they build race motors and all modifications for Subaru only so i guess i will give it a shot although blowing up my motor is definitely not something i want to do! can you install a uppipe without doing a tune? or is it safe to say any mod will need a tune?

I Support ClubWRX
    Uppipe doesn't require tuning, and actually the downpipe doesn't require it either on your year model. The 16-bit ECUs were a little more forgiving in that aspect. However, you're not going to gain the responsiveness you're wanting down low without a tune.

Ok thank you so muck for your help i will go for the uppipe ,down pipe and tune

Ok thank you so muck for your help i will go for the uppipe ,down pipe and tune

I Support ClubWRX
    On a ten year-old vehicle, I'd look into replacing the struts (now would be a good time to install springs, since the assembly will already be apart), as well as mounts/bushings since the stock ones will be pretty worn out.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yeah the struts are on the to do list any ideas on the brand? and what do you think of coil overs? I was thinking on going a little lower not a lot but its kinda high in the front. i don't know i have only had the car for a few weeks i don't want to change to much to fast so i am putting a list together and researching the mods and trying what ones will work best for me. there are so many thing that can be done to make this car even more awesome than it already is i am going into the shop hopefully this Saturday to get uppipe and down pipe installed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dp9698
    Yeah the struts are on the to do list any ideas on the brand? and what do you think of coil overs? I was thinking on going a little lower not a lot but its kinda high in the front.
    There are a bunch of options on struts, and I would recommend deciding on a set of springs before worrying about the struts.

Coilovers are often a waste of money; for what you'd pay for a cheap coilover setup (~$1000-1200), you can get a strut/spring setup that's far more capable in terms of handling, and will ride better too.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC