Turbo timers

This is a discussion on Turbo timers within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How you going guys, I'm new here and I own a 02 wrx hatch, I'm looking into getting a turbo ...

Turbo timers

How you going guys, I'm new here and I own a 02 wrx hatch, I'm looking into getting a turbo timer but am curious which brands are good quality and are they hard to install? Also will it work with the original imobliser fitted to the car, cheers any help is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Actually, you own a 2002 WRX wagon , just to be technical.

Turbo timers are absolutely not needed on WRX's utilizing the stock coolant set up. That secondary coolant resevoir you see near the turbo is there exactly for this reason. Don't waste your time or money on one.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Hah 'wagon' you are correct. Thanks for the help, but why is it not needed with the stock coolant set up?

Because your turbo is water cooled.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Cheers mate

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Because your turbo is water cooled.
    This and this from Subaru themselves:

"2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE
    FHI's position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current 2.0L turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual.

The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank (Turbo Timer FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC) cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

So, like I said, that coolant resevoir in conjuction with the rest of the cooling system design, makes a turbo timer not necessary.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thanks mate that's excellent info