gear engagement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on gear engagement within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys. '12 Rex that I've had for about 1600 miles now. Just noticing that after the car sits for ...

gear engagement

Hey guys. '12 Rex that I've had for about 1600 miles now. Just noticing that after the car sits for a few hours or more, I hear this loud sound after I'm in first and rolling that sounds like a gear engaging. Already in first and starting to roll away w foot off the clutch pedal when I hear the sound usually. Not sure what to make of it so gonna get it checked out but wanted to see if I could narrow it down any more before heading to the dealership.

Thoughts?
    2012 WR Blue WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Does it happen after you reverse first?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

YES! Trying to think now if it also happens if I just roll out forward, no reverse. But Im not sure it does.
    2012 WR Blue WRX

is it a whine or a grinding sound? Or does it sound more like straight cut gears meshing/whine?

Reason I ask is that these transaxles are notoriously noisy.. it might be normal. Are you having any issues getting into/out of gear? Is it in every gear or just the first few?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

It's more of a loud, short meshing thud. Only happens in first after the car has been parked for a bit. So for instance if I get into my car after a day at work, it does it. But when I reach the stop sign 15 feet away, doesn't do it again. No issues getting into or out of first, other than the general slop in the shifter. Reverse can be a pain sometimes but I hear thats normal.
    2012 WR Blue WRX

hmm.. interesting. I'd take that in and have the dealer look it over. Esp since its so new and you did pay for a warranty. Make sure they drive it before telling you they're normally noisy.. which they can be.. but they normally dont make thud noises. Is this under hard acceleration or gently rolling off?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Gently rolling off. It's weird sounds as if its locking the gear in late, but I am already rolling off so it should be engaged.
    2012 WR Blue WRX

I believe it might be the "hill assist" sound that people have talked about, mine makes a light "engagement" sound about 5 feet after starting forward. Could that be what you are hearing?
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Yeah exactly, maybe that is it. I definitely notice it as I am going downhill the most (park my car on the downramp at work). Is that normal or should it not be doing that donwhill or on flat?
    2012 WR Blue WRX

KHP
    From your description I believe that's the anti-lock brake/Hill Assist/Electronic Brake Force Distribution/Brake assist motor doing a self test cycle. Completely normal as my car and my friends fiancee's Impreza does the same.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Hmmm, interesting. That would explain the fact that it only does it after cold starts. Ive never owned a car w ABS before. So what exactly is it doing during this cycle?
    2012 WR Blue WRX

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkyb30 View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. That would explain the fact that it only does it after cold starts. Ive never owned a car w ABS before. So what exactly is it doing during this cycle?
    I'm not sure about the internal workings of the module itself, but its probably testing whether the motor, valves, solenoids are operational. Otherwise if it detects a failure you'll most likely get the ABS light on your dash.
    Last edited by KHP; 05-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

i hear that loud 'THUD' sound too. It happens exactly as the OP described it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like the hill assist disengaging.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Banned
    It happens in my 09' too. Scared me at first, I thought I ran over a cat or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast