gear engagement - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on gear engagement within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I get it on my 12 when first going into first, don't get it backing out of my driveway in ...

I get it on my 12 when first going into first, don't get it backing out of my driveway in 1st.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Having a bugeye, I have a cacophony of drivetrain noises to listen to. I don't think this has to do with ABS (mine doesn't make any clunking sort of noises, just gear whine mostly), the hill assist is a definite possibility as mine doesn't have that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely sound like the ABS test. If you're worried, take it to the dealer. It's warrantied work.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

yeah it's hill assist, I get it every time I leave the car sitting for more than a few hours (at work, overnight)

I get that every morning, although typically I am having to reverse uphill first so it's even more jarring.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the EXACT same sound. I get it every morning after I back out of my garage and pull forward. It sounds like an "engaging" sound....kinda. My driveway out of my garage does have a slight slant and the sound always happens within the first 2-3 feet of pulling forward. I think Rage and the others that suggest it's the hill assist must be right since it's happening to a few of us.

Count me in. Sounds like a piece of plastic stuck to the front right tire and then it slaps the fender well or something. Really strange, but I'm guessing hill assist also.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Count me in. Sounds like a piece of plastic stuck to the front right tire and then it slaps the fender well or something. Really strange, but I'm guessing hill assist also.
    Add me as well. This is exactly how I would describe it. Happens only once right when I first start moving in first gear after the car has been sitting for hours (morning and after work). With this many cases, sounds like its completely normal.

Could be a number of things, but it sounds most like the VDC system check. The manual pretty much indicates that you should ignore most sounds that occur after just starting the car.

From the Subaru owners manual:
    1-
    "ABS system self-check-
    Just after the vehicle is started, you may feel on the brake pedal a vibration similar to when the ABS operates, and you may also hear the sound of the ABS working from the engine compartment. This is caused by an automatic functional test of the ABS system being carried out and does not indicate any abnormal condition."

2-
    "The Vehicle Dynamics Control system may be considered normal when the following conditions occur.
    Slight twitching of the brake pedal is felt.
    The vehicle or steering wheel shakes to a small degree.
    An operating sound from the engine compartment is heard briefly when starting the engine and when driving off after starting the engine.
    The brake pedal seems to jolt when driving off after starting the engine"
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

Are you reversing out of your parking spot when you park on the downhill, or going forward?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Reversing back up hill, then pulling forward downhill.
    2012 WR Blue WRX

happens to my "12 wrx also... I think it's normal though since many discussed it before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.