Selling Stock Dunlops

This is a discussion on Selling Stock Dunlops within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I'm getting close to buying a 2012 Base WRX. I live in New Hampshire so I'm looking forward ...

Selling Stock Dunlops

Hey guys I'm getting close to buying a 2012 Base WRX. I live in New Hampshire so I'm looking forward to the AWD in the winter, but these summer tires aren't going to work for me. The stock dunlops are pretty expensive tires. I've been trying to get a few of the local dealers to swap out for A/S tires or at least comp me a few hundred dollars. The salesman just called me and offered me $200 and he would take them personally and try to flip them on his own. Can I get more for them on my own? I do not own the car yet and it will most likely be a couple weeks before I have one in possession but would anyone be interested in buying the set?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Why don't you just get a set of winter tires & keep the summers for warmer temperatures.

The salesman offered $200 for the set or for each.They cost $238 each new Tire Search Results
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

$200 for the set. What are some good winter tires? How do winter tires ride on this car (noise, vibration, handling)?

Thanks for the response. These forums have been great for research. Just finally joined today.

... and the dealership will mount them for free so I can get A/S online and bring them when I pick up the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't understand what's wrong with the tires. Is no were near winter. Consumer Reports rate these tires top three for summer performance tires. If I lived in the north I would have a winter set and a summer set. Once the Dunlop wore down I then would go with a Michelin summer.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't want to spend a lot you can get a set of steelies for wheels.I run Genreal Altimax Arctics studless winters.Have lasted 2 seasons so far.

Of course handling is not as great as summer tires but that is not what they are designed for.Performance winter tires provide better handling but are a bit more expensive.Also naturally they are not as quiet as summers.

That said ,A/S tires do not belong on a WRX.

If you go on Tire rack & enter the make of your car you will get a lot of choices.It is a good idea as well as cheaper to get a set of 16" rather than the stock 17".

If you get a set of tires & wheels,the tires are mounted & wheels balanced for free & shipped to you.

IMHO $200 for a set of unused tires worth $1000 new is a rip off.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Definitely. I'd go with a set of steel wheels with some bridgestone blizzak tires, if you get a truly serious winter where you are.

As far as whether to go for all seasons, don't be silly:
    All-Season vs. Winter / Snow Tires

You can DEFINITELY flip those tires for more than 200 on this site, no doubt. Your dealer is joking to offer such a low ball.

Here are the winter tires of choice: BridgestoneBlizzak LM-60

They claim sold out for the season, but I bet that's a left over from last season. If not... uh, dang.

Anyway, those are pricey, so black steel wheels are probably where it's at - either that, or simply get the steel wheels in a more reasonable size (rather than 17") and get the tires to match those, which will likely be smaller and cheaper.

If you really are concerned about snow, you'd be silly not to have dedicated snow tires - they really are that good.

I'm going to keep looking at my options. Thanks for the help. Might end up keeping them and worry about it in the fall after i get over the initial shock of my first real car payment.

whatever you do, you can sell those tires for MUCH more than that guy offered you. Hold on to them and sell privately. You'll be able to recoup most of what you'll spend in different tires.

Also, I agree with the dual sets of wheels advice. I live in Virginia Beach (very much NOT snow country) and have two sets of wheels. My stockers (2010) w winters on them and a set of 2011 oem wrx wheels with the stock dunlops on them. I swap em out when temp avg gets below 50*F

Depending on the area you live and your local climate, keep in mind that even in dry conditions winters do better than all seasons in temps below 50* And obviously in the snow they completely kick ass. Why buy a car with this much potential and not give it the best advantage possible to keep you safe?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Definitely. I'd go with a set of steel wheels with some bridgestone blizzak tires, if you get a truly serious winter where you are.

As far as whether to go for all seasons, don't be silly:
    All-Season vs. Winter / Snow Tires

You can DEFINITELY flip those tires for more than 200 on this site, no doubt. Your dealer is joking to offer such a low ball.

Here are the winter tires of choice: Bridgestone*Blizzak LM-60

They claim sold out for the season, but I bet that's a left over from last season. If not... uh, dang.

Anyway, those are pricey, so black steel wheels are probably where it's at - either that, or simply get the steel wheels in a more reasonable size (rather than 17") and get the tires to match those, which will likely be smaller and cheaper.

If you really are concerned about snow, you'd be silly not to have dedicated snow tires - they really are that good.
    I run Blizzacks in the winter. Incredible tire, In-fact when that snowstorm hit in October (I live in North Jersey) My friends f-150 SVT clearly had less control in the snow. I mean when we come to mass amounts of snow, no doubt about it the pickup would be better, but for the 2-3 inches a road has on it during it snowing the car handles phenomenal on the blizzacks.

One thing I noticed with blizzacks is they create a slight hum, depending on your speed. (maybe this is just all tires in general, not exactly sure hahaha)

my winters howl.. but that's because of the large open tread design. Not much can be done about that. Any aggressive treaded tire will make a little more noise.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    ordered my set of 16" steel wheels (which will clear the WRX callipers) and tires for around 600-700. Especially living in NH it would be nice to have a dedicated set of snow tires. Maybe search Craigs list or ebay for people getting rid of winter tires since they may not fit their car or they are moving to somewhere warmer.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX