Hatch vs. Sedan?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hatch vs. Sedan? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm waiting for the chance to even order my WRX right now (so all of you waiting for ...

Hatch vs. Sedan?

Hey guys, I'm waiting for the chance to even order my WRX right now (so all of you waiting for your orders to come in, I feel your pain!). Anyway, my question is - does anyone have experience driving the hatch and the sedan back to back? how's the visibility from each? All my local dealership seems to be able to get in is sedans lately, and they sell too quickly to get more than 1 at a time on the lot.

Any input appreciated.

Also wondering if going with world rally blue would get me more tickets... lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I own a hatch. I like the looks of the hatch more, and you can fit more stuff in it since the seats fold down. Visibility is fine, I have no problems not seeing anything. Except small children. I run them over all the time. Also DGM is what you want, us DGM owners get laid more.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I liked the DGM at first but I don't like how it kind of loses the contrast with the stock wheels! I love the wheels with the car silver or WRB, but they're almost the same color as the car in DGM I dunno what to do.

I just read somewhere that new orders might not be taken until December, which is insane. If that's the case I want the car sooner than later, and may have to find someone's car in stock out there in the wild blue yonder.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i havent driven the hatch vs sedan back to back so i cant really answer your question in that sense, however the hatch looks a lot better than the sedan IMO.

as far as WRB getting you a ticket- i've had my WRB for 6 years. been pulled over once. never got a ticket. dont break the law and you will be fine

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't speak for the newer models, but I wish I'd gotten a wagon when I had the chance. On the older WRX's, the rear seats in the sedan do not fold down, there's just an armrest passthrough for skis and such. The wagons/hatches have always had split folding seats. I've found myself severely limited on cargo space on more than one occasion in my sedan, but IIRC, the newer sedans have this feature, so it might not be as big of an issue.

Personally, I think the new generation hatchback models look better than their sedan counterparts. As far as visibility goes, I've never had an issue in either version.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Hatch!!

I think of it like this, the hatch has a lot more room and is a lot more versatile. The only real reason I could think to go with the sedan instead is if you really really really prefer the look. So if you don't have too strong of feelings either way, then I'd go with the one that is also going to be more practically useful.

I also like the look of the hatch more, but that's just personal taste.

As for WRB getting you tickets... maybe if you are driving in a way that will already get you lots of tickets then it could attract more attention. But cops can't write tickets just because your car is blue.

I agree that the hatch looks better my dealership is trying to up-sell me to a limited because there are more of them available. While I certainly wouldn't mind leather and HIDs, I'm up in the air on the price. I guess if the price is right...

Ideally I'd like to get them to go about midway between the dealer invoice and the sticker, but we'll see.

note on tickets: down here the typical rhythm is 8-12mph over the limit, for everyone. So if I'm just staying with traffic but it breaks the law, I'd hate to draw tooooo awful much attention to myself. That said, I'm gonna be the only WRX I know of in this town!
    Last edited by Ingen; 05-10-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Hatch has more visibility, and Blue doesn't get you more tickets, the way you drive your car gets you tickets.

The new models both have folding seats. I used to not like the hatches very much, but the new ones have grown on me severely. I have an 09 and I think the 08-10 hatches are too plain IMO, but the 11/12s are sexy. Following everyone here, its up to you which you like more, but also, you can fit a lot of stuff in the sedan as well. I can fit 8 OEM size tires in my 09 sedan without issue.

I also have a WRB, and I drive in a way that would get me more tickets. The car might be a bit "brighter" than other vehicles on the road, so if there are 5 'normal' cars speeding and you join then, you might get tagged over the rest.

Dez, youre a girl...that omits you from the 'ticket' conversation
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I think you should consider on whether you will use the hatch area or not. I had to have it since I snowboard and lug around huge speakers and electronics stuffs and I enjoy it very much. It's also really good for pickin up parts for other cars! The sedan does have a lot more room that I thought it would when I was shopping for them. My only complaint was that the trunk area opening is one size, and then it decreases when you go up towards the seats. I did not like that!

That being said I have heard that the car sounds a little different in the sedan and hatch trims, both stock and with aftermarket exhausts. Has to do with the sedan having 2 mufflers and the hatch having one big one. I've heard the sedan can also be quieter which makes sense to me. I dunno if all that is important to you, but just throwing it out there. Maybe someone else here could speak from personal experience on that.

As for colors I think the sedan looks best in plasma blue and dark grey. I really like the looks of white and rally blue hatches (I went with blue).

Also if you get a hatch, tint/paint your taillights. Really helps the look! Good luck!

Banned
    Orders for 2012's closed about 2 or 3 weeks ago. If you want to order you'll have to wait until december for the 13'. I would recommend waiting because you can get a much better deal if you order your car vs. buying what your dealer has in stock.

As far as sedan vs. Hatch goes. You wont get any good opinions on this forum. Whoever owns a hatch is going to recommend a hatch, whoever owns a sedan will recommend a sedan. I own a sedan and I love it, the hatches have grown on me, but I can't shake the association with the word hatch and all the bad cars of the 70's, ie. Pinto, Gremlin, Yugo, Pacer. That's my own personal issue.

I Support ClubWRX
    First off im glad you called it a hatch I dont feel that the 08-12 are really wagons. As for me I have tried both and I currently have the sedan. I am coming from a firebird hatch like and I dont mind the visibility. I have a different mirror that gives me more of a viewing angle. You can also go the Wink 5 panel mirror if you feel a little restricted. The only grip I have about mine is the 3rd brake light (no spoiler). I feel its in the way but I am looking about wiring a slim led bar. Also If you remove the rear headrest it frees up the view even more.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

December is absolutely horrible, was hoping I could order in July. how sure are you on that? That's a RIDICULOUSLY LONG turnaround unless they're bringing out the new body style and engine.

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    First off im glad you called it a hatch I dont feel that the 08-12 are really wagons. As for me I have tried both and I currently have the sedan. I am coming from a firebird hatch like and I dont mind the visibility. I have a different mirror that gives me more of a viewing angle. You can also go the Wink 5 panel mirror if you feel a little restricted. The only grip I have about mine is the 3rd brake light (no spoiler). I feel its in the way but I am looking about wiring a slim led bar. Also If you remove the rear headrest it frees up the view even more.
    But thankfully insurance companies do! My insurance is super cheap. For whatever reason it's cheaper than the sedan where I live by about 10-12%. Something else to consider.

^^^ that's because its a "wagon"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast