Need help on my first WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need help on my first WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I went and test drove this car yesterday, it was my very first subaru to ever drive and i ...

Need help on my first WRX

So I went and test drove this car yesterday, it was my very first subaru to ever drive and i loved it. I'm going to go get it checked out by a mechanic on tuesday and if everything checked out then i was planning on buying it that night. Could you guys give me your opinion on it? thank you *****2002 Subaru WRX*****

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The general consensus is to avoid a modified car like the plague.. also, $9,000 seems to be an awful lot to pay for a ten year old car (unless it has less than 30,000 miles on it). That said, I know the folks over at AWDTuning pretty well, and if there's one thing I can say about them it's that they will do their best to take care of you.

There are some questions that should be answered before going forward with the purchase.. Like what happened to the engine, the transmission, and the turbo? All those things broken scream that this car was abused, probably severely. Where did the replacement engine come from? That's a story that needs to be told. Also, why so expensive? The KBB value of this car is much lower, and "extras" don't add to the value of the car, usually they detract from it because they reduce the reliability.

The first thing I would do is give AWDTuning a call and question them about the history of the car. If they have been the ones working on it then they probably know its condition as well as anyone. If you want to have an outside mechanic look at it, take it to Cobb in Plano and see what they think. If there's anything questionable about it they will jump to point it out since the car has been under the care of their main local competitor. Your every day mechanic isn't going to be able to give you good advice on a modded car like this and neither is a dealership tech.

It could be a great car, but I would be weary.. and I wouldn't want to pay that much unless it's in immaculate condition.

Okay thank you so much for the reply. Am I going to need to VIN for when I call AWDTuning tomorrow? Or will they just know the car?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Just describe it to them, they should know it.. and the way things work up there, they are probably friends with the owner, lol.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I personally recommend staying away from hacked cars, but this one may be properly built if the tuner was involved as stated. Price is too high though, and very poor choice on hood scoop. The tinted tails have to go too.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Also, why so expensive? The KBB value of this car is much lower, and "extras" don't add to the value of the car, usually they detract from it because they reduce the reliability.
    +1 on this. It looks like a classic case of "I spent X dollars in mods for my car so that means I should get Y dollars more when I sell it." It doesn't work that way, I'm afraid, if anything mods make a car lose value.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I agree... I personally would stay away from a modded car period.... I feel like if he's ready to sell it he most likely beat the crap out of it.... Unless you really like the car and your mechanic says everything is mint then go for it

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

thanks for all they help guys. I'm going to take it to cobb tuning on tuesday for them to run some tests on it.

You may have found yourself a moderately priced beast, I got a repo bugeye that was slightly modded and took a chance - mechanic said it was peachy and I got a steal on a 300BHP + funmachine

However I talked the dealer down from $6,500 to 5,250 - 9,000 is a HIGH number for a bugeye (personally)...especially one that has been driven (obviously) hard enough to need all three red flag components replaced

I looked long and hard for a safe repo, don't jump the gun or you'll bite the bullet

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.