Finally hit decent boost!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Finally hit decent boost! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; There's this stretch in my daily commute where the signal light timing is off. So to not get stuck for ...

Finally hit decent boost!

There's this stretch in my daily commute where the signal light timing is off. So to not get stuck for 5 mins, I always needed to take off from the light to pass the other light before it turns red. So yesterday, I had about 800 miles under the belt, so I figured I would try to make it. Don't know what it was, maybe the weather, but my little subie hit boost really strong on second gear and this thing just took off. This it actually felt like a sub 5 sec car. Awesome.

Not familiar with turbos. Is the way I accelerate and change gears affect the boost pattern? Or is the car adapting and making use of the boost better as I break in. The car felt completely different from other times when I accelerated.

I also noticed how much the front came up and realized how soft the rear was. But that's another story.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The car isn't adapting. Colder weather will make the car feel more responsive.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    5 second car? lol
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    5 second car? lol
    I'm sorry, I was referring the 0-60 "advertised" figure. My only other cars that were this fast was my is300s/c and e46m3.

One thing I've noticed was that I wasn't feeling the kick from the boost as much. Back in the days when I used to drive my cousin's Eclipse GS-T, that thing's boost was very clear. This subie, it's not as clear, so last night felt nice!

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Gotcha, that makes more sense lol

If you think that felt nice, wait till you go Stage 2
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The car isn't adapting. Colder weather will make the car feel more responsive.
    Well, I guess there are downsides to living in warm SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Gotcha, that makes more sense lol

If you think that felt nice, wait till you go Stage 2
    Man, I'm just glad I was able to even get the WRX, I can't imagine a stg2. One thing I love about these cars as I'm reading the forums is how mod friendly they are. Under 500 bucks gets you a decent stg2 that's ~50whp. That is unheard of from where I used to come from. Loving this too much...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by grannyshift View Post
    There's this stretch in my daily commute where the signal light timing is off. So to not get stuck for 5 mins, I always needed to take off from the light to pass the other light before it turns red. So yesterday, I had about 800 miles under the belt, so I figured I would try to make it. Don't know what it was, maybe the weather, but my little subie hit boost really strong on second gear and this thing just took off. This it actually felt like a sub 5 sec car. Awesome.

Not familiar with turbos. Is the way I accelerate and change gears affect the boost pattern? Or is the car adapting and making use of the boost better as I break in. The car felt completely different from other times when I accelerated.

I also noticed how much the front came up and realized how soft the rear was. But that's another story.
    Yea man. This is my first wrx also. About a couPle of weeks ago I felt the EXTRA boost one night . I was in second and I usually switch gears around 3k but this time I stayed in second once I got about 4k that's when I really felt the pull. I liked it so much I just kept switching gears a nd before you know it i was gone like Grease Lighting lol. By the way I was on the Florida turnpike so I wasn't to far over the speed limit.
    Maybe going 75-80mph. Oh and it was about 70 outside temp. I can only imagine what stage 1 then 2 will do for me.

Additionally, here's a quick bit on how turbos work:

The turbo is spooled up by your exhaust gasses. So, in order to spool faster, you need to make exhaust gasses faster (raising their velocity, making the turbo accelerate more quickly). So if you want some boost... floor it!

But do finish breaking your car in first. God I'm not looking forward to that

Quote Originally Posted by WrxPower View Post
    Yea man. This is my first wrx also. About a couPle of weeks ago I felt the EXTRA boost one night . I was in second and I usually switch gears around 3k but this time I stayed in second once I got about 4k that's when I really felt the pull. I liked it so much I just kept switching gears a nd before you know it i was gone like Grease Lighting lol. By the way I was on the Florida turnpike so I wasn't to far over the speed limit.
    Maybe going 75-80mph. Oh and it was about 70 outside temp. I can only imagine what stage 1 then 2 will do for me.
    Exactly! the pull was closer to 4k rpm. I wont be going that hard now that i know...

Going to stg1 soon? It seems like it makes a huge difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Additionally, here's a quick bit on how turbos work:

The turbo is spooled up by your exhaust gasses. So, in order to spool faster, you need to make exhaust gasses faster (raising their velocity, making the turbo accelerate more quickly). So if you want some boost... floor it!

But do finish breaking your car in first. God I'm not looking forward to that
    Right! totally forgot about that! Higher shift points will give better boost. Also recirculate a lot more air when i get off throttle when i change gears.

I have my own theories on breaking in the car. I agree w/ the manufacturer's request but I do a few things during the process. The last few cars all had pretty strong engines, so I think i'm ok with it...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by grannyshift View Post
    Exactly! the pull was closer to 4k rpm. I wont be going that hard now that i know...

Going to stg1 soon? It seems like it makes a huge difference...
    Most likely just going to by the Cobb AP first. Just to get rid of the stock tune. From what I hear the AP is pretty simple. That's what I'm looking for

I haven't received my wrx yet, but I'm planning to do the stage 1 at about 3-500 mile mark. from what I hear the stock tune is REALLY bad for the motor. It kind of scares me. hearing people in their break in periods blowing motors in 600 miles......

BUT! coming from a puny honda fit (with 117 crank hp"OH BOY!!!") the stock tune will hold me over till I go stage 1/ break it in.

this thread makes me laugh.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Quote Originally Posted by DiRty Impreza View Post
    this thread makes me laugh.
    Going fast and hitting boost makes me laugh

And I'm gonna laugh my head off when I finally get my 2013! Blah, siiiiick of waiting.

So OP, have you really got a chance to punch it yet?
    Last edited by Ingen; 05-07-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast