Is used Accessport worth to buy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Is used Accessport worth to buy? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What if you said you wanted to buy it, then show up and request to flash a map to make ...

I Support ClubWRX
    What if you said you wanted to buy it, then show up and request to flash a map to make sure it works.. then after you flash the map tell them you don't want it and leave?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    What if you said you wanted to buy it, then show up and request to flash a map to make sure it works.. then after you flash the map tell them you don't want it and leave?
    ^I'm not an *******, so I didn't do that, but you could technically do that. Of course, you could never flash another Cobb map again, since you'd be married to the old AP. I'm not sure if open source could overwrite a Cobb map or not.

+100 to bringing someone with you though, especially on higher priced sales. I've never been burned in all of my CL deals (buying and selling), but always keep an eye out, and leave the cash with your buddy until you buy it.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by 93zxdett View Post
    No joke. That's why I always show up armed. But that's just me.
    ^ This. I've got a Springfield Armory XDm .40 Compact + a concealed carry permit for my state. These days, you can never be too careful. I also would highly recommend bringing a friend. Additionally, do not bring cash ahead of time, ask if he will accept a check or even paypal (if you have this option). If not, once you check out the AP, go to the bank and withdraw the money.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtra View Post
    ^ This. I've got a Springfield Armory XDm .40 Compact + a concealed carry permit for my state. These days, you can never be too careful. I also would highly recommend bringing a friend. Additionally, do not bring cash ahead of time, ask if he will accept a check or even paypal (if you have this option). If not, once you check out the AP, go to the bank and withdraw the money.
    Personally, as a long time seller on CL, I'd be pissed if a buyer offered a check (or even Paypal, for that matter). Personal checks give the seller ZERO security on the availability of funds, I wouldn't even consider taking one from a stranger. Seller's can be equally screwed by Paypal as well, since all the buyer has to do is open a dispute, and Paypal is (in my experiences) heavily biased toward the buyer. There are a ton of scammers on CL, so for me, it's cash or bust. If a buyer tries to screw around with me payment-wise, I'm keeping my stuff and driving home.

The best thing is to meet in a public place, and have a buddy in the car with your payment. That way, they can get help if something happens, and you aren't carrying massive amounts of cash on your person.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ahkei View Post
    OK, after reading all your lovely comments and suggestions; I decide to meet this craigslist guy this Sat morning. He sure everything is good and working for my car as well. He want $400-.
    My question is: What exactly should I do/prepare before I go?

Many thanks
    Other than prepping yourself for a CL tranaction, lol, what I would do is go on Cobb's site and download the AP Manager along with the associated maps for your MY so you have the most up-to-date maps in the event that the AP you receive doesn't already have them pre-loaded (ie. sellers car is either not a MY11 WRX or the maps are outdated). Better safe than sorry. In your case, the maps should be version 3.0 or v300 so double check that when you meet the guy and flash your ECU.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Just arrange the meet in a bank parking lot. If you like it, go into the bank and pull out the cash via ATM. Lots of camera's and security, so you can be reasonably assured that he's not going to steal your money or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quioxte View Post
    Just arrange the meet in a bank parking lot. If you like it, go into the bank and pull out the cash via ATM. Lots of camera's and security, so you can be reasonably assured that he's not going to steal your money or anything.
    This is a good idea too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12