Break in period
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Break in period within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know this topic has been covered many times, but I'm curious to know how 2012 WRX owner's are breaking ...

Break in period

I know this topic has been covered many times, but I'm curious to know how 2012 WRX owner's are breaking in/have broken in their WRX. I received the car with 7 miles on it and I've clocked 980 miles. I usually keep it below 4k and when I do a pull, the shifts are between 4 and 5. I've noticed a couple things. inconsistent boost, and what sounds like a release of pressure when I let off of the gas after a fairly hard pull. Im guessing that is normal, but I'm going to have the mechanic run diagnostics when I take it in tomorrow for a 1K oil change and boost gauge installment.

Any general education advice is appreciated, as I am new to the Subaru world.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Yes the stock tune is very harsh. Boost should abruptly kick in at around 3000RPM's. Then it's a rocket from there.

Ohh... Welcome BTW.
    Last edited by KHP; 05-01-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by 2012-WRX-PBP View Post
    I've noticed a couple things. inconsistent boost, and what sounds like a release of pressure when I let off of the gas after a fairly hard pull.
    I'm pretty new too, there is a bypass valve in most turbocharged cars that vents boost back to your intake when you release the throttle. This protects your turbo. So if you are at max boost at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), and release the gas quickly, you should hear a "pst" sound. They make Blow Off Valves (BOVs) mainly used to make this sound louder. It sounds cool, but you will probably get made fun of on here for having one since it does nothing to increase the performance of your car*. Blowoff valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*unless you have a high performance car running lots of boost.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, stock tune is rough but the pressure release is the BPV but stock is pretty quiet. I broke mine in by driving is easy and not shifting above 4000, i did go over a few times but not many
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I'm glad to read that the stock tune is pretty harsh - i was beginning to wonder about it myself. I am picking up my Access Port today. How long did you guys with an AP wait until you uploaded a new tune? I'm going to wait until at least 1K on the clock, but want to see what the consensus is on tuning the car soon after that point.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Someone else just asked that question in another thread..

There's no reason to wait.. since you're just flashing a map, not "tuning" the car, just go ahead and do it.

Welcome! For that first 1000 miles I kept it under 4k except for once by accident, and never gave it much more that half throttle. Enough to give it some boost, but keeping in holding with the published break-in directions (no hard starts or stops, or something like that).

You might want to have a conversation with the service dept at your dealership to see what they think about the AP. Generally if you're taking the car in you can flash back to stock and they'll be none the wiser, but theoretically if something major goes I believe they'll be able to find out if you had flashed the ECU and that could be grounds for a warranty claim denial.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I'm currently at about 800 miles. I'm not doing anything special to break it in. I'm driving it like I want to drive it, but 95% of my driving is also freeway commuting so there's not a whole lot of room to do anything except for "taking it easy."

That said, I think I drove it harder than most during the break-in period. I blame my wife, who "made me" show her what it could do on the drive home from the dealership! From there, I just can't help it every now and then... On-ramps can be fun, too, you know...
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I've read a bunch of threads similar to this one, the general consensus is to do what you have already done, shift ~4k, no overly hard launches or stops.

One thing I read, which a sales rep told me is untrue, is that you should try to vary your RPM, and to avoid driving at one RPM for an extended period of time. I'm not sure what anyone else thinks of this but I figure it can't hurt to vary it a little. However, much like etnpnys, around 80% of my drive is highway driving, so I have yet to figure out if I'm even going to be able to do this.

I should add that I haven't received my car yet - I'm in the waiting period, so I don't have the first-hand experience/knowledge that most others on this forum do.

I Support ClubWRX
    C'mon guys, read your owner's manuals! Subaru tells you EXACTLY what to do for the break-in period, it's not open for discussion.

*Clears throat*

From the Book of Subaru, Chapter 8, Verse 2:

And lo, the performance and long life of thine vehicle art dependent on how thou handlest and carest for thine vehicle whilst it is new. Therefore, thou shalt follow these commandments during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km):

*Thou shalt not race the engine. And do not allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an emergency.
    *Thou shalt not drive at one constant engine or vehicle speed for a long time, either fast or slow
    *Thou shalt avoid sudden and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency (blowing the doors off that Civic you saw does not qualify as an emergency)
    *Thou shalt avoid hard braking, except in an emergency

These commandments should be applied to an overhauled engine, newly mounted engine, or when brake pads or brake linings are replaced with new ones. For thine are the twisties, and the horsepower, and the boost forever, Amen.

Aside from some slight embellishment, that is WORD FOR WORD out of my manual (Section 8-2). See, that wasn't so bad, right?
    Last edited by Rambo; 05-02-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    C'mon guys, read your owner's manuals! Subaru tells you EXACTLY what to do for the break-in period, it's not open for discussion.

*Clears throat*

And lo, the performance and long life of thine vehicle art dependent on how thou handlest and carest for thine vehicle whilst it is new. Therefore, thou shalt follow these commandments during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km):

*Thou shalt not race the engine. And do not allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an emergency.
    *Thou shalt not drive at one constant engine or vehicle for a long time, either fast or slow
    *Thou shalt avoid starting sudden and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency (blowing the doors off that Civic you saw does not qualify as an emergency)

These commandments should be applied to an overhauled engine, newly mounted engine, or when brake pads or brake linings are replaced with new ones.

Aside from some slight embellishment, that is WORD FOR WORD out of my manual (Section 8-2). See, that wasn't so bad, right?
    Amen.

But really, I never said that the owner's manual didn't say how to do it - I just stated that it's not what I'M DOING!!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

*Clears throat*

*Thou shalt not drive at one constant engine or vehicle for a long time, either fast or slow
    *Thou shalt avoid starting sudden and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency (blowing the doors off that Civic you saw does not qualify as an emergency)

These commandments should be applied to an overhauled engine, newly mounted engine, or when brake pads or brake linings are replaced with new ones.

Thank you for clearing that up. I don't currently have the bible (manual) as I don't have my car yet. But again, thanks for posting this.

Well, I'm going straight to Subaru Hell.

haha no, but seriously. I didn't do any WOT from the dealer to my house (which is about 45 miles.) But the next day...well, Reverend...it was pretty much a night in Vegas. haha I've never exceeded 5,000RPM, though. I'm now at 1050 miles and still haven't exceeded 5K.
    Last edited by 2012-WRX-PBP; 05-02-2012 at 09:06 AM.

lol Maybe we can carpool there?

haha no, but seriously. I didn't do any WOT from the dealer to my house (which is about 45 miles.) But the next day...well, Reverend...it was pretty much a night in Vegas. haha I've never exceeded 5,000RPM, though. I'm now at 1050 miles and still haven't exceeded 5K.
    Not to thread-jack, but I've heard that WOT during the first ~50 miles can help seat your ring lands as best as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast