Break in period - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

This is a discussion on Break in period within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just got mine last week and am pretty much following the under 4k rpms BS. I drive 2 miles ...

  1. #31
    Registered User tsigeoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    22
    I just got mine last week and am pretty much following the under 4k rpms BS. I drive 2 miles to work roundtrip, so expect to be fully broken in around 2016 LOL

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAmbush View Post
    Lot of good information in this thread. I have 600 miles on a DGM Premium Hatch and I've only exceeded 4K a few times unintentionally. A 15-year mechanic at the dealership I bought from insisted the break in period is BS and that it may actually be detrimental because taking it too easy on the car makes the computer used to easy driving and it will be hard to get power on command when the break in is over. I'm still going to abide by the break in rules, though.

    Granted, this is complete noobspeak on my part. Just wanted to add my two cents. It's my first manual so i'm more worried about the damage my violent stalls and accidental revs are doing to the car. -- JA
    I'm sorry but that mechanic has no idea what he's talking about. The ECU on modern cars doesn't care how you drive except from the perspective of it needing some history of the engine running throughout the RPM band and different loads to be able to accurately deliver fuel and measure air. You can "teach" the ECU these things within 10 miles if you drive it like you stole it.

    What exactly do you mean by "violent stalls?" You're not going to damage anything by stalling because by definition you're stalling because you're not putting enough power into the drivetrain to let it "go" so the forces are relatively low. And what do you mean by "accidental revs?" Are you downshifting so the engine is going past redline? That can be very bad for your car...

    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    You can bring it to redline just don't do long pulls in 3rd gear or higher until you have at least 500miles on it being 3rd gear and up put the most load on the motor.
    What makes you say this and what exactly do you mean by load? The most strain on the drivetrain is determined by more than the revs and gear.

    Quote Originally Posted by tsigeoff View Post
    I just got mine last week and am pretty much following the under 4k rpms BS. I drive 2 miles to work roundtrip, so expect to be fully broken in around 2016 LOL
    Just drive the car normally. If you're keeping it under 4k rpm you're not operating the engine throughout the revs which isn't necessarily good for long-term reliability. You need to at least occasionally redline the car during break-in.


    This subject has been beat to death and there's a lot of different opinions, but consider that many performance cars are run to redline and put on a track prior to them ever leaving the factory (Many Porsche cars, Corvette Z06/ZR1, and others). If it was really that bad, why would these companies do it with brand new cars that are covered by factory warranties?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  4. #33
    Registered User etnpnys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    756
    ^^

    All of that.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

  5. #34
    Registered User subaken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    High Desert, CA
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by euclid1179 View Post
    I'm glad to read that the stock tune is pretty harsh - i was beginning to wonder about it myself. I am picking up my Access Port today. How long did you guys with an AP wait until you uploaded a new tune? I'm going to wait until at least 1K on the clock, but want to see what the consensus is on tuning the car soon after that point.
    I flashed mine with an OTS map on an AP at 250miles. No probllems, hiccups, or concerns. Can't wait to get a real pro-tune, may be awhile since the wiff is eyeing the finances like a hawk.

  6. #35
    Registered User subaken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    High Desert, CA
    Posts
    105
    Cobb Tuning has some good info on this subject also. Engine Break In.

  7. #36
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,805
    Quote Originally Posted by aznwrxlover View Post
    You seem to know what you're talking about and I tend to believe you. But is there a consensus on this? Why would the manual state to never go over 4K RPM during break-in? I'm at 550 miles currently and have never gone close to 4K RPM except when I test drove it. Is it too late for me to "properly" break it in?
    They are covering their ass. Cause in the event something does break in a rare instance...they will ask. "did you break the engine in properly? Did you keep it under 4k RPMs?" And when the unsuspecting moron (in general, not calling anyone here that) answers "yeah, I wanted to have fun, so I WOT'd to redline!" The dealer will come back and say "Sorry, your warranty is denied for not following proper break in. Good day sir."

    But yeah, I'm in the general consensus that you should follow suggested break in period as stated by the manual. The engineers at Subaru know a whole hell of a lot more than we do, so they probably put it in there for a reason on top of what I said above as well. However, I do agree with Scott above as well because if you don't get on it a little bit, feel the power, and see what happens under full load, then how do you know everything is working properly? You may never know if the boost control system or turbo could be messed up unless you use it...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  8. #37
    Registered User etnpnys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    756
    You gotta understand also that YOU are the only one with your exact driving conditions. If you commute 1/2 mile to school work and only actually drive the car there and back, would it be a good idea to WOT a few times a week? I say: not a chance - that car isn't even warmed up. But I put 120 miles a day on my car. Sometimes that is stop and go, sometimes that is 75mph from onramp to offramp. For me, I agree with the above. My car needs to stretch its legs every now and then. And I understand what the car can do.

    I wouldn't WOT it if there wasn't a substantial amount of normal driving around before and after.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

  9. #38
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Whether it's harmful long-term NOT to rev it during the break-in period is a hotly contested subject. Many people ascertain it prevents the rings and other things from seating properly if you don't do it, thereby hurting the long-term performance and reliability of the motor. Personally, I see less possible long-term harm in doing it than NOT doing it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  10. #39
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,805
    No, it's not harmful at all. Some say that you won't properly bed the pistons in the cylinders or seals won't seal properly, but I don't believe it. At that point, you're just following the manual.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •