Break in period - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Break in period within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yeah, I doubt going slightly over 4K at 3/4 pull will do any damage. But i'm taking it in to ...

Yeah, I doubt going slightly over 4K at 3/4 pull will do any damage. But i'm taking it in to have them check everything out, install clear bra, boost gauge, and the 1K oil change.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtra View Post
    Not to thread-jack, but I've heard that WOT during the first ~50 miles can help seat your ring lands as best as possible.
    Again though: aside from being strictly against what the manual states, this is wide open for debate.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by 2012-WRX-PBP View Post
    Yeah, I doubt going slightly over 4K at 3/4 pull will do any damage. But i'm taking it in to have them check everything out, install clear bra, boost gauge, and the 1K oil change.
    Would you mind posting pics of the clear bra when you get it put on?

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Again though: aside from being strictly against what the manual states, this is wide open for debate.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
    Unfortunately I don't have the manual, what exactly does it say about this? (If you wouldn't mind posting it)

Unfortunately I don't have the manual, what exactly does it say about this? (If you wouldn't mind posting it)
    No, really - the above post was just rewritten a little. That's the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    C'mon guys, read your owner's manuals! Subaru tells you EXACTLY what to do for the break-in period, it's not open for discussion.

*Clears throat*

From the Book of Subaru, Chapter 8, Verse 2:

And lo, the performance and long life of thine vehicle art dependent on how thou handlest and carest for thine vehicle whilst it is new. Therefore, thou shalt follow these commandments during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km):

*Thou shalt not race the engine. And do not allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an emergency.
    *Thou shalt not drive at one constant engine or vehicle speed for a long time, either fast or slow
    *Thou shalt avoid sudden and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency (blowing the doors off that Civic you saw does not qualify as an emergency)
    *Thou shalt avoid hard braking, except in an emergency

These commandments should be applied to an overhauled engine, newly mounted engine, or when brake pads or brake linings are replaced with new ones. For thine are the twisties, and the horsepower, and the boost forever, Amen.

Aside from some slight embellishment, that is WORD FOR WORD out of my manual (Section 8-2). See, that wasn't so bad, right?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    *Thou shalt not race the engine. And do not allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an emergency.
    *Thou shalt avoid sudden and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency (blowing the doors off that Civic you saw does not qualify as an emergency)
    Sorry, I didn't realize you meant this post; thought you meant somewhere else in the manual. I guess that would relate to these 2 points. The first part is a tad ambiguous imo, but I would guess that WOT would be how you would (or at least could be directly related to) race the engine; this would also result in the second part, sudden and rapid acceleration. Good point.

Thanks.

My car arrives in 12.5 days I'm going to do the 4k break in as well. Even though its going to kill me I'd rather be safe then sorry...

I Support ClubWRX
    Just remember that its called the break in period not the break it period.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thank you for clearing that up. I don't currently have the bible (manual) as I don't have my car yet. But again, thanks for posting this.
    FYI - You can get the manuals online: Subaru Owner Resource Center | My Subaru

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Someone else just asked that question in another thread..

There's no reason to wait.. since you're just flashing a map, not "tuning" the car, just go ahead and do it.
    That was me

Welcome to the site
    2012 WRX Limited Sedan w/ Nav - WRB
    SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP, SPT Short Throw Shifter, SPT Trunk Trim, RA mud flaps, Cobb Shift Knob, 50/15/15 tint

Quote Originally Posted by dj_red View Post
    FYI - You can get the manuals online: Subaru Owner Resource Center | My Subaru
    Awesome, thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    C'mon guys, read your owner's manuals! Subaru tells you EXACTLY what to do for the break-in period, it's not open for discussion.

*Clears throat*

From the Book of Subaru, Chapter 8, Verse 2:

And lo, the performance and long life of thine vehicle art dependent on how thou handlest and carest for thine vehicle whilst it is new. Therefore, thou shalt follow these commandments during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km):

*Thou shalt not drive at one constant engine or vehicle speed for a long time, either fast or slow
    *Thou shalt avoid hard braking, except in an emergency

These commandments should be applied to an overhauled engine, newly mounted engine, or when brake pads or brake linings are replaced with new ones. For thine are the twisties, and the horsepower, and the boost forever, Amen.

Aside from some slight embellishment, that is WORD FOR WORD out of my manual (Section 8-2). See, that wasn't so bad, right?
    thank you brother rambo
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Lot of good information in this thread. I have 600 miles on a DGM Premium Hatch and I've only exceeded 4K a few times unintentionally. A 15-year mechanic at the dealership I bought from insisted the break in period is BS and that it may actually be detrimental because taking it too easy on the car makes the computer used to easy driving and it will be hard to get power on command when the break in is over. I'm still going to abide by the break in rules, though.

Granted, this is complete noobspeak on my part. Just wanted to add my two cents. It's my first manual so i'm more worried about the damage my violent stalls and accidental revs are doing to the car. -- JA

You can bring it to redline just don't do long pulls in 3rd gear or higher until you have at least 500miles on it being 3rd gear and up put the most load on the motor.

I Support ClubWRX
    Amen "2012-WRX-PBP". If there is a Subaru hell, I am sure to end up there sooner or later.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast